Do you live near a railyard(s)?

i envy you...and all of you...sadly i don't live any where near a yard....i do live near tracks....sorta....about...a half mile away, i can hear loco horns ect...cant see them tho....DR:wave:

Well technachyly I do to. I live near a main line, but the yard are only 30min mabie less drive.

South Phila Greenwich Yard used to have well over 36 tracks across, had a coal kickback pier with a rotary unloader, and a taconite pellet unloading facilty for ships from S America, for iron ore trains bound to Bethlehem and Zanesville.

The 17+ Altoona yards, Juniata Shops, and PRR Scientific Test Labs were @ 5 miles long in the 1920's, and employed 30,000 workers.

Now both yards are virtually gone, and have 2 bit (25 cent) overgrown trackage

Last edited:
I live about 60 km from Halifax, Nova Scotia's main marshelling yard. I've seen locos moving there many's a time. It's all run by Canadian National.

Yeah I live right next to one. I live out at Logan Village, QLD and remember riding on the line. That is why I am so interested in the Beaudesert Branch Line.

I live just a few short miles from the southern end of the Roseville yard, near Sacramento, CA. While I do not know the kind of rail yard it is, the yard is designed for everything. Ranging from car storage to engine facilities, and has maintenance equipment stationed there, like rotary snow plows for the winter months when it snows in the mountains up in Donner Summit.

I live next to the ex-Virginian to Norfolk International Terminal(containers) and my Grandparents live next to Pier 6 the biggest coal pier on the east coast.

Gearhart Yard, the smallest (and most inactive) rail yard in the state of Michigan. (It's owned by a Watco rail company, the Grand Elk!)

--Bluewater, The Conrail Guru

I live next to Canadian Pacific's Shoreham Intermodal Yard and BNSF's Northtown Hump Yard. 1 mile away from the 2nd best trainwatching spot in the state! (The first is only 11 miles away, lol).

2 miles from the UP main line and Hinkle yard in Oregon, 7 miles from BNSF mainline across the river in Washington.

Hrm2701 :cool:

It is 3/4 mile from my front window across an open field to the BNSF Gateway Sub. at mp193.5

DaveL

Yup-you can practically see Hull Dairycoates shed from my window. In it's heyday, it was home to 300+ steam & diesel locomotives, and was the biggest shed on the NER outside of Tyneside. Nowadays it's used for cement traffic, and the shed itself is a truck dealership.
2464527855_502274bb8b_z.jpg

5370415057_87af5e1f54_z.jpg

3655816.png

I once visited a person north of Norristown ... I don't know how they get sleep at night ... all night long WHAM, CRASH, KaCHINK, PSSSSH, WAHH WAHH, Ding Ding Ding ! (Very much unlike the built in lame, quiet Trainz coupling sounds ... kachink).

I live near the ex-SP (now UP yard) And One Day, I Was With My Mom And My Aunt, And That Day, I Saw 3 locos i have never seen before!
1. EMD SD59MX
2. EMD SD60M
3. A GE Dash 8-40C

2 LOCOS I HAVE SEEN!
1. A Ex- SP GE C44-9W with A UP Patch
2. A Amtrak Passenger Train (W/ A View Liner A Baggage Car And 2 P42'S With a Frontplow!)

Probably From Oregon Or The Coast Starlight I.D.K (I Don't Know) But What IDK ( I do Know) That Is Pretty Darn Cool Ya Think?
P.S. I'm 10 And i Know a LOT About Trains

Really? Me TOO! but i live in antelope and sometimes by my school, you can hear the trains and at my house too

pretty cool huh?

P.s. I'm 10 And I Know a LOT About Trains...........

What about the good ol' DL&W Scranton Yard, about 1 mile from my humble home.

Now the new Steamtown, USA (straight from Bellows Falls, VT), the yard is full of decayed, asbestos-covered engines and freight cars, except a select few.

The roundhouse, turntable, small station, and about 1/20 of the track is still usable (mainly for the excursion train that runs between the yard and some college around Scranton).

The mainline sees about 5 trains every week, run by some old DL&W, D&H, LV, or Adriondack ALCOs (or a DL&W GP40-2W), usually with about 5 or 6, up to about 25 freight cars. Don't know who their owned by, but they run.

The excursion and other trains that run from Steamtown are run by it's four main locos: the CP's G-3-c 4-6-2 #2317, the CN's S-1-b 2-8-2 #3254 (which has a model in Trainz by USLW), the BLW's unclassed 0-6-0 #26, and the NKP's GP9 #514.

#3254 has recently had some sort of boiler dent, and won't be running for a while, #2317 is still operable (yet hasn't been out of the roundhouse in a while), #26 is still operable (but not used), and #514 is currently the main engine on excursions.

As mentioned above, there are a few non-rusted engines there, such as the IC's unclassed 2-8-0 #790, the RDG's T1 4-8-4 #2124, and the UP's MASSIVE Big Boy 4-8-8-4 #4012, with B&M's P-4a 4-6-2 #3713 Constitution in the workshop being rebuilt.

I used a Wikipedia link to a book called Steam over Scranton: The Locomotives of Steamtown for some of this research, found here: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/steamtown/shs.htm

Whoops, got my ramble on their, didn't I?

Anyway, check out the book, it explains about all the trains there.

The closest large rail yards to me are the CSX and NS yards in Raleigh, NC. Pretty good places to watch trains with lots going on.

Back