Trainz 2009 Sound fixed now??

Bigbird76

Hi all

Not posted for a while but i have just noticed trainz 2009 will be out soon.

I wanted to ask the Beta guys what is the sound like with the Locomotives in general as i recall in trainz 2006 there was a bug with the sounds of the locos.

I had purchased kuji's version but cannot really get to terms with buiding but Trainz 2006 i was rather good at it, just that the sound kept putting me off the game when i drove through my layout.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

The sound is far better now, the problems of it dropping out and hearing industry sound from across the baseboard etc. seems to be fixed, I also noted a better overall sound experience from everything in the game, I believe many of these fixes carried over from TC3.

I'm sure you will get some other opinions, and keep in mind many locos will need to be updated to enjoy the great sound, so it may be hit and miss with some older items!

Cheers,

Lorin:wave:

Last edited:
I wanted to ask the Beta guys what is the sound like with the Locomotives in general as i recall in trainz 2006 there was a bug with the sounds of the locos.

If you're referring to the non pitch shifting higher speed looped steam loco sounds then yes they've been fixed in TC3 I believe.

A lot of other sound problems that found their way in the release of TRS2006 have also been fixed. Examples of which were the fading 'click clack' track sounds, broken directional sounds especially those heard in loco cabs, sounds being heard from 'miles away', etc.

Overall a huge improvement and IMHO even better than the near perfect sound we had back in TRS2004.

Steve.

Alas, my main complaint about the sound still seems to be in the latest beta.

I'm about to post a bug report about it, so who knows whether it will be fixed.

In short, if you stand in front of a loco (which means in front of the horns themselves) and blow the horn, you can't hear the sound of the horn! :eek:
It's also barely heard in the cab.

Moving down the track about 200 yards to another Loco, facing the same way as the loco, I can hear the engine sound of the loco 200 yards behind me louder than I can hear the sound of the loco that I'm right behind.

The sound point of the locos seems to be about a loco's length in-front of the actual loco, but this changes as you move around the loco.

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons TC3 only lasted a few weeks on my computer.

BTW, music has always been a big hobby of mine, going back to the days when I had 4 music keyboards sticking out the back of my Atari ST, and my computer sound system is used to play all my music through, so before anyone says that it's the sound system (because human error seems to be the first port of call mentioned by those not having problems with Trainz), believe me it's not.

If CM2 (CMP) behaves itself in TR2009, then I'll gladly put up with the sub-standard sound engine, but I do think that this many years into the Trainz franchise, it should be sorted.

Smiley.

you're not alone Smiley :)

This was one of the first things I reported via the BTC.

Try hitting the 'B' key in the SD40 - 2 to really get an idea of the sound volume changes that should be made.

I believe the engine sound is too loud,
the horn sound not loud enough and also doesn't fade with distance prototypically and,
the bell sounds volume needs to come way down in volume and fade out only a short distance from the loco.

Steve.

I'm in agreement about the volume and placement of the sounds too, but my biggest gripe in 2006 was the broken directional sound, It ruined the experience for me and made me rather angry at times.:eek:

I do hope the current flaws(bell, etc) are addressed before 2009 ships!!

Lorin:wave:

Seems like we still have some minor problems with the sound then,

Hopefully there will be fixed especially the horn etc.

I have a few layouts saved and a large amound of content on a HDD somewhere i will have to dig them out when 09 ships if its cracked up to what people are saying.

Leigh

Back