uintah railway

skol587

hey all I'm back
last year some time i was going to make the uintah railway equipment and lay out but thin in the middle of trying to load a water car i made cmp died on me and know one could figure out how to fix it so i quit.
but i have started again but theres only one problem cmp still is not working and i need help because my skills in g max are very limited and it would take me forever to make the thousands of assets needed for the railroad and roiling stock. would any body be interested in helping.:cool:

Please give the community more details about what is going wrong when you try and use CMP. The more details you can give us, the greater the chance of someone saying "I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it"
Have a look at these posts and also do a forum search for CMP problems. There's been several post in 2008 in the forum/s about CMP / problems...

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=22293

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=22081

Cheers, Mac...

Here's a copy of something Scorpio48 posted back in September 2008 that maybe of help;

Personally I've never had trouble with CMP, but there are a few tricks you can use to correct its annoying habits.
  • If CMP refuses to start, exit the program. Log into the Download Station directly (you can do it from this Forum), pick an item and download it. CMP should start automatically. After this it should run normally. I call this my kick-start method:)
  • If you notice a large decrease in your download speed when downloading several items, wait until CMP is in the middle of a download and hit the stop button. Wait for a couple of seconds (2 to 5) and hit the start button. CMP will start downloading where it left off, but at maximum speed. There is no logical reason for this, but trust me, it works.
  • If CMP seems to be taking forever to update the data base, simply hit the refresh button on your toolbar. (Two round blue arrows).
  • If CMP refuses to recognise your log-in details, close the program, re-enter your details in Options Menu. Log on to Auran and re_enter the same details there. It don't matter if you enter the same details, Password Etc; Save the changes and log out.
If you carry out the above when needed, CMP should run as it was intended to.
Sods Law now predicts that when I next load my CMP, it will play up:hehe: .
Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
There is some info on the Uintah RY in Narrow Gauge in the Rockies by Beebe & Clegg including some photos of the rolling stock. I can make a few of the usual ones for you for you. The product - Gilsonite (whatever that is - some kind of petroleum product I believe, was carried in bags on flatcars. Boxcars and stockcars are very similar to those used on most Colorado 3 ft ga roads. Ditto passenger cars except for the business car which I should be able to make. They also had a 4-wheel bobber caboose (no 1). I can make that. The 2-6-6-2T is already available. They also had two inside frame 2-8-0's (nos 11 &12), an outside frame 2-8-2 (no 30), at least two class B shays, and what appears to be an 0-6-0T (used for passenger service). No photos of structures I'm afraid.

Ben

I have already started to make the combine #50 for the unintah. :hehe:

If you need some help with anyother rolling stock i would be willing to help. :D

OK - I'll just make the bobber caboose (almost done actually). Number 50 always looked like a business car to me but your correct - its a combine (another senior eyeball moment, lol).

2-8-0s 11 and 12 came from the Florence & Cripple Creek I think.

Turns out they had 5 shays (3 from Lima, 1 purchased from local a road, and 1 they built from spare parts).

Had 2 saddle tank 0-6-0s. One passenger car was ithe limit.

The 2-8-2 couldn't handle the 66 degree curves (less then 18 inch radius in HOn3) and didn't last long.

2 of the passenger cars were ex-D&RGW sleepers.

No rotary snow plow was able to negotiate the 7.5% grades and 66 degree curves so 3 shays pushed a wedge plow.

Obviously I haven't read that section of the book in a long time. Kinda interestring. Good luck with your project.

Ben

P.S. Now if I could only talk then gent who made the 2-6-6-2T to make the Sumpter Valley version, lol.

P.S. Now if I could only talk then gent who made the 2-6-6-2T to make the Sumpter Valley version, lol.

I remember Ben talking about doing this a while back, I think he said that it was more than just a little rebuild. I do think, however, that it's on his to do list.

The hard work has been done (running gear animation, engine specs, etc) but I'm sure it isn't a quickie conversion. Taking the saddle tanks off means he has to add details in thier place and work up the tender. Be nice. I hope you are correct its on his to do list.

Uintah Caboose 1 has been uploaded. I only had one photo from the side so it might not be exactly correct.

Ben

2-8-0s 11 and 12 came from the Florence & Cripple Creek I think.
12 - yes. 10 and 11 were roughly C-19 copies, bought new.

Turns out they had 5 shays (3 from Lima, 1 purchased from local a road, and 1 they built from spare parts).
Seven. 1, 2, 3, and 6 were bought new. 4 and 5 were ex-Argentine Central. 7 homebuilt from leftover parts from one of the scrapped shays (4, IIRC)

Had 2 saddle tank 0-6-0s. One passenger car was the limit.
Side tank 0-6-2Ts. ;)

The 2-8-2 couldn't handle the 66 degree curves (less then 18 inch radius in HOn3) and didn't last long.
Neither of the 2-8-2s could. That wasn't why they bought them. 30 was bought to run from the top of Baxter pass to points west. 40 was bought to run from Atchee to the east.

Naw, I don't think you could.

Additional information:
The 30ng freight cars are all based on C&S prototypes, which were the same basic design that Uintah cars were built to.
Combine 25 is the basis for my 30ng combine. 12 has been started, but I haven't worked on it for a long time.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben:

Obviously the info in my book is a bit off (so were Beebe and Clegg as I understand it, lol).

Only photo of the little saddle tanker wasn't very clear. Couldn't see the trailing bogey.

I wasn't overly optimistic about the Sumpter Valley conversion. If he was interested he probably would have done it by now.:hehe:

While I've got your ear (something a bit off topic - apologies in advance). I'm working on the transfer table at Alamosa (weird looing thing). Its pretty much done but I can't find any info on how many tracks it served and what the spacing was. Any ideas?

Ben

I'm working on the transfer table at Alamosa (weird looing thing).
Ben

Is this it:
it is pretty weird :D

DRGWalatransfertable950.jpg

Yes. Might have been another one somewhere else but I'm not sure. Very shallow pit compared to most transfer tables.

David111767,
I know I will. Right after the 4-6-0 is textured and animated (and I have enough free time without homework, of course).

Bendorsey,
Generally, yes. Read Beebe and Clegg for the pictures, not the information.
This might help you picture the side tank 0-6-2Ts. Of course my narrow gauge downloads page could do the same thing.
Yep, I probably would have.
No idea. I didn't even know that Alamosa had a transfer table until yesterday.

Cheers,
Ben

Questions about gauge designations... I'm confused

David111767 usually seems to sign his forum posts with "the 30in Guy" tagline (I assume that refers to the gauge of the models he prefers to work with). Does "30in" mean the same thing as "30ng"?

As I understand it, 30ng is an informal designation which means that the distance between the rails is 30 inches. Is that correct, or does 30ng mean 3 feet 0 inches (which would be 36 inches between the rails)?

I believe the Uintah Railway was built to a 3 foot gauge (36 inches between the rails). I assume that all Trainz rolling stock built to follow Uintah prototypes should therefore be 3 foot (36 inch) gauge - NOT 30 inch gauge. Is that correct?

Finally, could it be that any models built in Trainz to either a 30 inch or a 3 foot gauge are interchangeable, because the difference of only 6 inches is too small to be noticed?

- jR

Last edited:
Hi Ben:

According to Prowler (and his buddies), Alamosa had 2 transfer tables. One quite long in back of the maintainence building and a much smaller one at right angles to it.

Ben

david,
30 inch gauge.

jR,
30ng is 30in is 760(mm). 3 foot is designated as 36, 36ng, 36ga, or 36in (it all depends on which creator).

The URy was 36 inch gauge. If there was any confusion, my 30 inch gauge cars are 36 inch gauge prototypes with regauged trucks.

While 6 inches may not sound like a lot, it is when 6 inches is a sixth or fifth of the track gauge. There is a visible gap between the wheels (less noticeable with outside frame equipment). There is also a difference in coupler height, so the equipment can't be substituted (unless you don't care about the visual discrepancies)

Ben,
Two? How did I miss that?

Cheers,
Ben

the water car I'm building now will use a modified version of slugsmashers claer lake trucks
the book i have on the uintah railway is by Henry E. bender Jr theirs also a good website the URL is http://home.bresnan.net/~bpratt15/
and when cmp starts it crashes and windows creates an error message and Ive sent 4000 of them to auran

Last edited:
TRS 06 Uintah flats; ProtoLARS Gilsonite

As has already been pointed out, GILSONITE was the "Bread and Butter" of the Uintah Railway. At the Utah mines, it was sacked and loaded onto 36ng flatcars which were hauled over Baxter Pass by the URY to Mack, Colorado for transshipment onto the standard gauge D&RG. Since those flatcars were by far the most numerous piece of Uintah rolling stock, any plausible virtual simulation of the Uintah would do well to include a whole bunch of URY flats - both empty, and loaded with sacks of gilsonite.

Although there are already a good number of 36ng flatcars available on the DLS, a closer look at the Uintah prototype will reveal some subtle characteristics which are not exhibited by any of the currently available Trainz models. Most notably, the Uintah flatcars feature a rather peculiar brake pipe arrangement (raised up above the deck at each end). Also, nearly every piece of URY rolling stock was equipped with metal "buffers" at each end. These unique features contribute a distinctive look to the otherwise typical rolling stock; one which screams "Uintah" to the rail buff, just as much as the "URY" lettering painted on the sides.

Take a look at these shots taken during a fairly typical Uintah switching operation. In the first, a short string of URY flats is being pushed along a spur line near the mines. The raised brake piping is clearly visible on all cars, and the "buffer" plate can be seen on the nearest car. Also, the distinctive stacks of gilsonite bags can be seen on the leading car:

Uinta_Flats_02.jpg

The second shot shows a side view of the same cars after uncoupling:
Uinta_Flats_01.jpg

I've modeled these Uintah flats for Trainz 2006 (using Gmax) based on plans and photos from “Uintah Railway; the Gilsonite Route” by Henry E. Bender, Jr. and “Uintah Railway Pictorial” (both volumes) by Rodger Polley. I've also modeled a “Sacked Gilsonite” ProtoLARS product which interacts in typical fashion to load/unload the gilsonite bags onto the flatcars.

I guess from this thread that some other Uintah fans might be interested in my efforts. Although most of the work on the flat cars is complete, I've not uploaded the cars or gilsonite product... The flats still need LOD work, and I'd like the final version to include random numbering and random textures. Maybe some of the experts could help me figure those things out... I'm just a beginner, and awful shy about putting my models online...

Back