UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

Hi mediumpete. A good shot there. Have you altered the environment settings/post-processed the shot or is the brightness level the default level for TSR19?

Hi mediumpete. A good shot there. Have you altered the environment settings/post-processed the shot or is the brightness level the default level for TSR19?

Thanks. Not changed any environmental settings yet - my PC can run everything on Ultra but not gone with any tweaks to processing. The screenshot hasn't gone through any post processing either.

Yeah, the new settings make things maybe a little more awesome... And this is just in Surveyor
Surveying-the-Sunset.jpg

Something old school, a TS12 shot in the morning twilight in pre-grouping North Eastern Railway Newcastle Central.

A Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T waits in a western end bay platform with the first branch autotrain of the day for Blackhill via Scotswood.

A pair of six-wheel Diagram 21 vans in the parcels bays at the west end of the station

Last edited:
Kotangagirl, nice shot. Open cabs back then must have been quite an ordeal to work in, especially in Scotland and Northern England during the winter. However, when Bouch introduced a covered cab on locos using the Stainmore trans-pennine route across the north pennine moors, the footplate crews complained so vociferously that they were removed and replaced with simple weather plates at the front of the footplate with two spectacle type windows! What seems to us as an indispensible requirement for the workplace now was actually considered "unmanly" by the people actually working the locomotives 160 years ago! This is why some views or decisions taken then can seem so bizarre or just inexplicable today.

Thanks very much. Yes you are certainly right Borderreiver, it does seem inexplicable that nothing but a weatherplate for protection persisted on UK locomotives for so long and that the footplate crews actually wanted it that way. I'm finding more and more that when I want to 'play trains' that it is my mid-19th century models that I'm taking out of my digital trainset box. Love the early morning screenshots by the way especially the second one.

KpKisdi.jpg

rrrzAo5.jpg

Last edited:
'Oh no!' they cry, 'Not another sepia toned screenshot!' But hey, - I just got Paintshop Pro and I'm having some fun with it.
The very small single driver well tank on my Cairnrigg to Balessie layout always looks like it's in grave danger of getting run over when it's on piloting duties.

HKSqPrA.jpg

zVlCEWA.jpg

I've loaded up the latest Dearnby route and session from neville_hill and Lataxe into TRS19. Very detailed. It runs well too. I think I've discovered what affects the lighting whilst you're running - the fog level affects the brightness of the ambient surroundings, much like when you put on full beam headlights in fog - everything goes a bit white! But nevertheless, it's thoroughly enjoyable to watch the various engines pull their loads around the UK countryside!

Freight-can%27t-be-late.jpg

Badgercombe.jpg

"I think I can... I know I can..."
%22I-think-I-can...-I-KNOW-I-can%21%22.jpg

Over-the-coastline.jpg

Thanks mediumpete for the comments and early views of Dearnby and District in TRS2019. I agree those images are weirdly white and, so far, all the TRS2019 images seem to be like that. A lot of time and effort was put into the default lighting settings for D and D in TANE and I would hope that after all the ballyhoo TRS2019 should be able to better them with a bit of adjustment. If you can improve things in TRS2019 it would be good to see some more screenshots!

I've loaded up the latest Dearnby route and session from neville_hill and Lataxe into TRS19. Very detailed. It runs well too. I think I've discovered what affects the lighting whilst you're running - the fog level affects the brightness of the ambient surroundings, much like when you put on full beam headlights in fog - everything goes a bit white! But nevertheless, it's thoroughly enjoyable to watch the various engines pull their loads around the UK countryside!

Freight-can%27t-be-late.jpg

Badgercombe.jpg

"I think I can... I know I can..."
%22I-think-I-can...-I-KNOW-I-can%21%22.jpg

Over-the-coastline.jpg

Pete,

I'm glad you're enjoying D&D. Neville and me had a good time making it - and hope to make more of it yet!

The import of D&D to TS2019 is said to be without the usual problems of missing and broken assets but .... those colours! Or rather, the lack of them. Everything looks like it needs a very serious shove of the de-haze slider in Photoshop. And then another serious shove of the vibrance slider. And then another of the contrast slider. And, last but not least, a serious tweak of the colour balance. Oh .... I forgot - the exposure slider will also need a shove to the left.

Clam1952 has also imported the route and done some of the above tweaks-types, using TS2019 environmental controls, to make the things look a lot better. But I have to say that every one of the screenshots in the other thread "Screenshots of TS2019 Beta" look bad to me, at least in terms of the contrast, colour balance and "exposure". And here's me viewing on a Spyder colour-calibrated NEC monitor, which finds out all the sins of poor colour and grey-scale.

On the other hand, the detail is very nice indeed, especially of ground textures and flora.

Hopefully someone will come up with the TS2019 tweak-values in Environmental Setting that could be entitled "The TANE Look". It would be nice to have it as a single button and perhaps this should be suggested to that Tony bloke. :)

Lataxe, looking for some sunglasses.

Pete,

I'm glad you're enjoying D&D. Neville and me had a good time making it - and hope to make more of it yet!

The import of D&D to TS2019 is said to be without the usual problems of missing and broken assets but .... those colours! Or rather, the lack of them. Everything looks like it needs a very serious shove of the de-haze slider in Photoshop. And then another serious shove of the vibrance slider. And then another of the contrast slider. And, last but not least, a serious tweak of the colour balance. Oh .... I forgot - the exposure slider will also need a shove to the left.

Clam1952 has also imported the route and done some of the above tweaks-types, using TS2019 environmental controls, to make the things look a lot better. But I have to say that every one of the screenshots in the other thread "Screenshots of TS2019 Beta" look bad to me, at least in terms of the contrast, colour balance and "exposure". And here's me viewing on a Spyder colour-calibrated NEC monitor, which finds out all the sins of poor colour and grey-scale.

On the other hand, the detail is very nice indeed, especially of ground textures and flora.

Hopefully someone will come up with the TS2019 tweak-values in Environmental Setting that could be entitled "The TANE Look". It would be nice to have it as a single button and perhaps this should be suggested to that Tony bloke. :)

Lataxe, looking for some sunglasses.

With your comments borne in mind, I set out to make a few environmental lighting changes - the washout occurs with a mixture of fog, light brightness and sun colour. So I changed the "midday" light to have no fog and a warmer sun colour, but similar light brightness, and here we go (in Surveyor at least)
Dearnby-and-District-in-TRS19---Sunlight-test-settings-1.jpg

Can't say it's perfect, but it's less washed out. There's also directional lighting to consider. Having gently re-altered the lighting for the session, I fired it up. Here's a comparison. The first screen is facing North, the second facing South. Notice any difference (time is just after 10am in session, there may be a tiny bit of fog lingering in the lighting settings.)#

Castle-looking-North.jpg

Castle-looking-South.jpg

Maybe it's my eyes tricking me, but there we go anyway!

It definitely appears to be "over exposed", is the gamma set too high, indeed, is it a gamma problem and can the gamma be adjusted as in TS12?

Rob.

It definitely appears to be "over exposed", is the gamma set too high, indeed, is it a gamma problem and can the gamma be adjusted as in TS12?

Rob.

Through experimentation, yes and no. Each route can now have the "Light Brightness" adjusted per hour as part of the environmental settings. There's no overall gamma adjustment I can see for the game, unless I'm being short-sighted or dense*.

*E&OE.

Edit: Here is a lighting experiment - Time is Noon (high noon, if you will.) Full Light Brightness. Zero Fog. Very pale yellow hue to ambient light. BLACK sun colour... Go figure!
More-experiments-in-lighting....jpg

Last edited:
That looks better!

Does one have to adjust Light Brightness every hour in TRS2019 e.g. run the route for 2 hours, make 2 adjustments to light brightness or do you mean adjust light brightness to the hour (time) of day?

I think the gamma adjustment was done away with in T:ANE for whatever reason, put it this way, I can't find it in T:ANE! Presumably not re-introduced in TRS2019. A pity really from my point of view because I often used the gamma adjustment in TS12.

Rob.

A black sun, - now I've heard of everything. I think it would be a whole lot easier if they put the gamma adjustment back into the game.

Nice screenshot though mediumpete.

That looks better!

Does one have to adjust Light Brightness every hour in TRS2019 e.g. run the route for 2 hours, make 2 adjustments to light brightness or do you mean adjust light brightness to the hour (time) of day?

I think the gamma adjustment was done away with in T:ANE for whatever reason, put it this way, I can't find it in T:ANE! Presumably not re-introduced in TRS2019. A pity really from my point of view because I often used the gamma adjustment in TS12.

Rob.

When you're setting your Environment settings you now need to pick a level of "Light Brightness" that you want to have at that set time in your route. Eg next to no brightness at night, almost full at the sun's highest point.

A black sun, - now I've heard of everything. I think it would be a whole lot easier if they put the gamma adjustment back into the game.

Nice screenshot though mediumpete.

Thanks - I get the feeling people are going to get sick of my spamming the board trying to work everything out though soon enough! :hehe:

Gamma is more or less the same as tweaking the brightness slider and backing off the other controls, tip hold down space and all three move together which is pretty much what the gamma control used to do.

Even after various attempts at improving the utterly washed-out look of standard lighting and colour in TS2019 screenshots, everything still looks wrong. Wrong in what way?

I pulled a few of the improved screenshots into Photoshop and applied various of it's tools to see what could be measured as "wrong". Saturation and vibrance are weak (washed out colours are everywhere). Contrast is weak yet there are blown highlights, in the clouds and smoke. The colour balance is wrong, with too much yellow overall and not enough blue in the midtones especially.

There also seems to be a greater transparency of various things like the hedges and grasses. They look like ghosts of hedges and grass.

Improvements can be made with Photoshop tools but even using the gamma control, serious saturation & colour balance tweaks, tweaks of the tone curve and anything else I could think of, it proved impossible to obtain the density of colour, lighting and objects themselves that the same scenes exhibit in TANE. This alone puts me right off TS2019. To my eye (and on my monitor) it looks less real than TANE, despite the claimed improvements of greater graphical bells & whistles. Frankly, I'm puzzled at the praise for it.

Lataxe

Back