UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

Nexus DJ, I will never cease in gushing at the quality of your work, it is your screenshots and the stunning work of Evilcrow that set a standard I aim for. I have used the Easter weekend to shamelessly drive my Carstairs project forward, I don't think there is a public image of Carstairs in the late 80s on the internet that I have not seen now, and still I am hunting prototypical data to tweak my layout. The work around Carstairs station is almost complete and I am starting to turn my attention to the approaches. Some super detailing and touches have been done in places, but still plenty more to do.

Can anyone recommend some 1980s period UK road vehicles on DLS? Is there any departmental, especially overhead line maintenance stock available?

If anyone is familiar with the location and the time period I hope I have captured the essence...

The station buildings took a great deal of time and are effectively a scratch built bodge. I will be adding poster boards and further detailing at a later date. The destruction of this building and replacing it with a feeble waiting shelter is an utter travesty

Carstairs-Station.jpg

A 37 drags a 315 back to Edinburgh from Shields Road depot where the fleet were serviced. This is a reproduction of a scene caught on camera here. As the original photo commentary states on the full page, the reason for diesel drag under the wires all the way back to Edinburgh is unknown. Visible on the horizon is the State Hospital, a secure psychiatric unit.

Carstairs-WIP1.jpg

Excellent shots all!

A few from me tonight; work is continuing on the Swanage Railway and recently I have been focussing on the Furzebrook to Wareham section.
In a scene that was typical of the Swanage branch in the 1950s/1960s, we see M7 class 30053 hurrying with a 2 coach push/pull set (with strengthening coach coupled to the rear) from Wareham towards Worgret Junction. The M7 has the traditional Swanage branch headcode displayed:
HihhNBi.jpg

JwlLZsz.jpg

Leaving the mainline and joining the branch:
MmLKBzi.jpg

Heading over an occupation bridge:
P4cAPmn.jpg

Crossing the River Frome on one of the viaducts:
yRui4bY.jpg

Tyfg7BK.jpg

And finally heading off into the distance bound for Corfe Castle and Swanage:
pbsEtPM.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

1975 - ECML - In the heat of the night

A summer night during 1975 on the ECML.

A BR Class 31 AIA-AIA on the last stopping train of the day, the 23:40 Kings Cross to Hatfield at Wood Green station (Since renamed as Alexandra Palace). At this time electrification extended between Moorgate via Finsbury park to Hitchin but had not reached Kings Cross. Therefore stopping trains out of King's Cross were still diesel hauled.

A BR Class 47 Co-Co on the 23:45 Kings Cross to Newcastle parcels train passes the 23:40 Kings Cross to Hatfield to the north of Wood Green station. While the BR Class 55 Deltics ruled the roost during the day, the Class 47s dominated the overnight services.

Another BR Class 47 Co-Co on the last long distance passenger train of the day, the 23:55 Kings Cross to Newcastle overhauls the 23:40 Kings Cross to Hatfield train between Brookman's Park and Hatfield.

The 23:55 was the last departure from Kings Cross on which cheap day returns were valid. This made it popular for people who wanted to visit London for the day and keep costs down, so long as they did not mind trying to sleep in the Mk1 steam heated compartment stock! I travelled on this train several times between 1977 and 1978, arriving at Newcastle at 05:45. It stopped at most of the stations on the ECML, usually for an extended period during which newspapers, mail and parcels were handled. Vending machines were still present at Grantham and more than once I grabbed a chocolate bar. Nowhere was open for hot or cold drinks though. I recall sharing a compartment with another traveller who said they were getting off at Darlington for the first train to Middlesbrough. When I woke as the train departed Darlington he was still asleep!! Luckily for him he was able to catch the Newcastle to Middlesbrough train to get home.

A view from the cab of the 23:45 Kings Cross at Welwyn Garden City. The 23:30 Kings Cross to Cambridge, formed by a DMU is arriving at the station.

The 23:55 Kings Cross to Newcastle would connect with the 23:30 Kings Cross to Cambridge at Stevenage. This would allow late night revellers a bit more time in London and still reach Cambridge at 01:23.

A Class 37 heads south through Welwyn Garden City station as the 23:45 Kings Cross stands in the station handling mail, newspapers and parcels.

Great shots everyone!

Just a few from me tonight; decided to treat myself to a new GTX1070ti and what a difference it makes! No lag whatsoever!

To celebrate, I unleashed M7 class 30053 with a 3 coach set consisting of ex-LBSCR coaching stock. We see it departing Wareham bound for Corfe Castle and Swanage in what, were it not for the modern railway signs, could very well be a scene from the 1950s.

OYO52J5.jpg

69gpaaF.jpg

0EZrbEk.jpg

HgVzzVJ.jpg

Hwm41RM.jpg

I know I keep posting similar shots of this particular area but work is being done on it! More trees and foliage are being planted each day.

Cheers,

PLP

Excellent shots all :)

@Merrick6ac : Thanks for the kind words , Your Carstairs route looks superb , instantly recognisable as soon as I saw your screenshots :)

I took the plunge and picked up the UK region edition of 2019 , Early days on the screenshots as I'm still tweaking the environment settings but it's definitely a step up from TANE ....

40778952113_5f6e5a502c_h.jpg

47745497401_becd900af7_h.jpg

33868419358_6d7e35f01a_h.jpg

Last edited:
Nice screenshots PLP. Post as many screenshots as you like of any area you want. I've certainly been noticing how various parts of your route have developed over time.

Nexus...what graphics card do you have because 2019 now looks mighty tempting in the shots you have shared!! Thank you for your equally kind words....pleased all the work is paying off

More from my own corner of the digital unreality landscape....

The southern approach to Carstairs is coming along nicely...

Southern-approach-Carstairs.jpg

To the West work has progressed as for as Ravenstruther coal tipple site, which is next on the list for super detailing...

Ravenstruther.jpg

Trying to complete the major conurbations on the layout before the long hours of landscape scenery so Lanark is getting some attention at the end of the short 2 mile branch off the main line...

Lanark.jpg

Evening all,

Just a couple from me tonight of Norden station. I've been fiddling around the area and adding foliage and textures, it's coming along slowly. Clutter to be added soon:
RVrDm2j.jpg

iv5Q4h8.jpg

zcgusQ3.jpg

HJU6xlk.jpg

PSso1zD.jpg

btJgmR0.jpg

And also a couple from the Purbeck Mineral and Mining Museum's railway above the station:

KFZAD7m.jpg

yzQjvBD.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks Rob, it feels like slow progress but it is coming along, promise!

A couple from me tonight of Challow Cutting between Corfe Castle and Norden. It's very deep although quite short, with very limited clearance.
Here we see the railway's class 117 DMU on a clearance testing run:
XubhJZY.jpg

eFK4YuH.jpg

JcEdb37.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Taken from the opposite side of the same bridge in my previous post. I've added in a lot more foliage and ground textures now.

47789259601_7c0dfbcb41_h.jpg

Back