Favorite Locomotives!

strench707

TCR Content Creator
Okay guys. I did some looking around and I couldn't find a thread soley dedicated to everyone's favorite locomtoives. Maybe I didn't look hard enough (I sure hope not) but nothing of the sort seems active irght now:p .

Anyways, I was really curious as to everyone's favorite locomotives and I thought this would be a good way to do that. The locomtoive can be from any country (U.S., U.K., Germany, France, etc.) and be any type, MU, Diesil, Steam, Electric, Hybrid, etc. There really is no specifications other than it being some kind of motive power. I guess you could include NPCU's but that isn't much of a loco.

What to include:
Note: That you do not have to include everything, these are just good examples, so feel free to include more or less information.
Note(2): The locomotive does not have to be in Trainz, it can never have been made for Trainz.
  • The name and manufacturer of the locomtoive.
  • The railroads it is used by.
  • The various paint schmes it was in and your preference (if you have one).
  • It's era and current status (i.e. replaced, out of service, in production, etc.)
  • Nicknames that it has been given.
  • How many and road numbers.
  • A SCREENSHOT of it (not required but highly reccomended, the picture can be a prototype shot or a shot in Trainz).
  • Anything else you can think of!!!
Now I know people start threads and don't even giev an example so I will give mine, not that I'm reluctant to, just a template:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, my favorite locomotive is the P42DC (a.k.a. AMD-110, Amtrak Diesil 110 MPH). As you probably have gathered it is run by Amtrak. Itwas built by General Electric, in Erie, PA. There are over 200 Amtrak units in service and is there main diesil engine. Another user is VIA Rail Canada, which has about 20 and uses them (you guessed it) in Canada. There are other variations one of which is used by Metro North Railroad and The Connecticut Department oF Transprotation (CDOT). The Amtrak units start at 1 and count upward, while the VIA units are in the 900 series. Many people call it ugly and a giant shoebox but I for one love it and have 3 models of it in HO Scale. They are almost all in service as of now but its predecessor the P40DC (AMD-103), is stored and lease to MNRR and NJT. I believe it started service back in the early 80's to replace the F40PH made by EMD. It has been in 3 different paint schmes (Phase 3 4 and 5), my personal favorite is Phase 5. Here is a pic of it seen below in it's current phase 5 paint:
IMG_6385.jpg

Here it is alittle beat up (aren't they all:hehe: ) but is a fair shot (not mine). It's also my Avatar in phase 5!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright guys that pretty much sums it all up and I hope this is sucessful and friendly.

Have fun!

Davis

Last edited:
I like locomotives of all walks of life, EMD, some GE, Baldwin, F-M, all those cool producers.
But the utmost top of mine are the ALCos
I have many Favorite ALCos, But if you want my utmost top,
I'll go with the..
ALCo Century 628

tr_lv626.jpg
\
(Of Course in LV!:hehe: )
The ALCo C628 was in production from 1963 to 1967 when ALCo then introduced its larger brother, the C630.
Unlike most diesel Classification the ALCo Century line was assemblied in following order. The C, as said above stood for Century (series of locomotives) 6 stood for the number of Axles, and 28 was the horsepower divided by 100. Over 186 units were produced by ALCo going in many railroads across America, and in Austraila.
The Lehigh Valley Railroad owned specifically 17 units numbered 625 to 641. These monsterous 6 axles were the only 6 axles on the LV's Fleet. Sadly, after the LV's inclusion into Conrail in 1976, all the Centuries were scrapped by 1980. It is rumored that only 3 C628s exist in the entire world. 1 in Austraila in Hammersly Iron Colors(unknown #) and 2 ex. D&H units in Mexico(where D&H banished most of their 6 axles {Such Foolery!})
Sadly, these units, and their higher Century brothren didnt have much success due to their Trucks. Back then, they were known as "Tri-Mounts" which had the locomotives weight spaced unevenly, often causing track repairs to be more common. I have heard stories from LV Train men, saying how they hated the C628s and how they rode because of their "Tri-Mounts"
To solve that, ALCo Came up with their High Adhesion trucks, which were adapted to the latter of the Centuries, (630, 636) and the Montreal Locomotive Works units(M630, M636) But, before these Units could be fair enough to be a strong opponent to the EMD SD35 and SD40 models, and the GE U30C and U33C Models ALCo Went bust in 1969. MLW continued to produce 'Canadian' Look Alikes well into the 1980s for CN, and CPR.
Believe it or not, CPR loved their MLWs, and used them right up into the 1990s, when second hand SD40-2s from UP started taking over.
Today it isnt much common to see a Century roaming around. You might find the younger sisters, the C420 through C430's roaming on shortlines (especially here in NY) but 6 axle centuries are much more harder to find in service.
Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
(Info below from MTH trains)
In 1914 the Erie Railroad accepted delivery of a gigantic Baldwin-built 2-8-8-8-2 Triplex steamer. The P1-class tipped the scales at 853,050 pounds, and the third set of eight drivers, placed under the tender, meant that 89 percent of that weight was available for adhesion. When the Erie saw plans for the Triplex, they thought it represented the perfect solution to their primary operating problem: hauling heavy freight over Susquehanna Hill, a route where a short, steep grade significantly reduced the capacity of most road steamers.

The Triplex eliminated the need for additional pushers to help a load top the hill. The engine's articulation also meant that of the total driving wheelbase of 71' 6", only 16' 6" was rigid - ideal for the winding track over Susquehanna Hill. Best of all, because it distributed its weight over such a large number of wheels, it combined high tractive effort with moderate axle loads, which meant it ran well on reasonably light track.

It was so successful on the Erie's tricky Susquehanna route that the railroad ordered two more Triplexes in 1916. The difficulty of maintaining full steam pressure combined with the cost of maintenance on what was essentially three engines in one led to the Triplex's retirement in 1927.

The Triplex was engineered to haul 640 fifty-ton cars in a train almost five miles long, but because the draft gears of the early twentieth century could not have handled such a load, the 2-8-8-8-2 was never put to a full test.:wave:
erie1ux2.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite locomotive of all time. I love this locomotive. I actually worked on this loco over the summer. She is beautiful and runs great.

She is an Ex-Bangor and Aroostook EMD BL2. She was involved in two accidents, one of them having three fatalities. Ever since the second fatal accident, strange things have happened, all good. Various mechanical problems that could have destroyed the engine, or injured the crew, have been somehow stopped by no logical means. The common idea is that the old crew is watching over the locomotive.

Without further ado, here she is.
IMG_2197.jpg

bl2rear.jpg

bl2.jpg

Ive posted this a few times, but she is still my favorite

American Locomotive Company (ALCO)K-28 - Denver and Rio Grande Western number 473

Such an infamous history.
Built in 1923, she and her sisters 476 and 478 were the only 3 K-28 to stay in Colorado, the other 7 were sent to Alaska for service in WWII, and were scrapped after the war (Please see my "Continuum" post in freeware proposing an alternate history)

In the early 1950's she was painted yellow, and dressed up "Hollywood" as an old time locomotive for a movie role, in what became to be known as the "Yellow Bird" scheme.

In July 1951, while still wearing this makeup, she was struck by a rock slide, tossing both engine and tender into the Animas River, however all the cars loaded with silver ore stayed on track

In June, 1974, a truck pacing 473 a few miles north of Durango suddenly swerved, and struck her. She needed a new injector, but the engine returned to Durango under her own power

"Several Years ago" As stated in the 1992 Cinders and Smoke, she was broadsided by a truck at a crossing.

On July 25, 1987, a truck lost its brakes near the top of Hesperus Hill. and came flying down the grade, blew through a stoplight (thankfully a green one) and came smashing into 473, which was sitting on a track outside the round house. All the crew members saw the truck in advance, and were not hurt. The truck driver suffered a broken leg and ankle, but was otherwise unhurt, but it took over an hour to get him out. 473 was thrown 11 feet off the tracks, and suffered serious damage. However, like always, returned to service

In the 1989 Durango Roundhouse fire, 473 had a full load of coal, and the boiler was half filled with water. On top of this, the engine was stored closest to the machine shop, the area in which the fire started, being closest to the source, she was the worst damaged, and the last to return to service. Once again, she lived on!!

In more recent years, both 476 and 478 were out of service, and for a long time, 473 was the only active K-28. And as far as I can remember, other then her periodic rebuilds, she has never been out of service for a long period of time except after the roundhouse fire.

473 is truely an invincible locomotive, she could have been taken out and scrapped many times after her incidents. Yets she survives today, as both a surving steam locomotive, and as an active, living and breathing steam locomotive. Her story is unique, and increadable at times. I have a strong feeling that no matter the odds, 473 will continue to serve future generations. Hence why she is my favorite locomotive of all time.

In Durango, 1981

dsng473.jpg

In Trainz, Prower, Colorado - 1960 (for the record I dislike Diamond stacks)
Screenshot_1546.jpg

Edit:Nicknames? How about "Truck Magnet"?

Last edited:
Very cool guys! Some of these locos I had never even seen before and they are so cool! I'm suprised at just how many there are. This is exactly how I intended this to go.

BTW, I know I probably should've said earlier but in addition to ur favorie you can list 2 or 3 more that you like, but you don't havee to go into detaail on them if you don't want to.

That's amazing some of the history these locos have.

Thank You

Davis

Okay...

American:
EMD GP30
The EMD GP30 was a 2,250 hp (1,680 kW) four-axle B-B diesel locomotive built by General Motors General Motors Electro-Motive Division of La Grange, Illinois between July, 1961 and November, 1963. 948 examples were built for railroads in the United States and Canada (2 only), including 40 cabless B units for the Union Pacific Railroad. My favourite livery they were in is WC:
WC2252.JPG

Australian:
EMD Victorian A Class
The V/Line A class are a bulldog nosed diesel electric locomotive rebuilt from B Class locomotives between 1982 and 1984 as part of the 'New Deal' reforms of passenger rail operations in Victoria, with 11 being so converted. A85 was regeared for 160km/h operation in 1986 for passenger train testing, but was reduced to the standard 134km/h gearing soon after.
The class originally appeared in the V/Line orange and tangerine scheme, except for A66 which was painted in a green and gold livery to celebrate the Australian Bicentenary in 1988, later appearing in a second special livery to advertise the Melbourne bid for the 1996 Olympic Games. Today the class appear in either the red and blue V/Line livery, and the green and yellow Freight Australia livery (with PN logos). Four locomotives are named after Australian rules football players in September 1984, while A60 was named after former railway commissioner Harold Clapp.
Four locomotives are currently in service with V/Line on passenger trains, and 7 with freight operator Pacific National. My favourite livery they are in is V/Line Pass:
800px-Vline-a70-fss.jpg

Tom :)

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool. Its kinda like they welded 2 F7s together. I guess they did that so that they could see behind them when backing up.

My favorite (info from wikipedia):

The EMD SD-45 is a six-axle diesel locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division between December, 1965, and December, 1971. Power was provided by an EMD 645E3 twenty-cylinder engine which generated 3,600 HP. This locomotive shared the same common frame with the EMD SD38, EMD SD39, EMD SD40, and EMD SDP40.
A total of 1,260 units were built for American railroads. Following this, the SD45-2 was released as its upgraded replacement. Additional models, like the SD45T-2, featuring the Tunnel Motor design, were released.

My pet name for them is Big Feet..... They to me just look like heavy foot work horses...... And the flaired radiators give them a touch of class.

RG5329.jpg

Jade there is a BL2 for trainz

its by bdneal, its on the dls i think

My favorite engine is..for some reason the southern pacific 0-6-0 switcher:p

The M420
7783.1216773541.jpg

Made by Montreal Locomotive Works.
Owned by
BC Rail
Canadian National
Mohawk Adirondack and Northern Railroad
Oil Creek and Titusville Lines
Ontario Southland Rwy
RailAmerica Ottawa Valley Railway
Southern Manitoba Railway Incorporated
Southern Railroad Company of New Jersey
Iowa Interstate
Maine Coast
Providence and Worcester
Arkansas & Missouri
Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad Company
Hudson Bay Railway Company
Lake State Railway Company
Morristown & Erie Railroad
Minnesota Commercial
Ohio Central
St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railroad Incorporated
WGRS
West Tennessee
I probably missed a few.

Last edited:
I don't really have a favorite, I love steam, I love first generation diesels, but I especially like narrow gauge, and in particular, the K28.....:wave: :wave:

Back