Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commuter train in fatal wreck ran red light!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchey
    It turns out the commuter train passed a red light, that the driver missed, because he was texting on his phone.
    Mitchey's post is what I mean about speculating (somewhat)

Mitchey, it is alleged that he MAY have been texting on his mobile phone, not that he was. As I stated before Metrolink (at lastest report) deny he was texting.
    Last edited by Red_Rattler; September 14th, 2008 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchey View Post
    It turns out the commuter train passed a red light, that the driver missed, because he was texting on his phone.

First it was Trial by Jury ,,, then we went to Trial by Media ,,, now we've gone to Trial by Employer and the best of all .... Trail by Forum

ROFL

United States of America, Connecticut, Manchester

I know this thread is like 14 years old, but how tf does an engineer run a restricting signal? What makes this accident even more ridiculous is the fact the engineer was texting in the first place. Just because you can't text and drive in a car doesn't mean you can text and operate a locomotive.

United States of America, Connecticut, Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rattler View Post
    Mitchey's post is what I mean about speculating (somewhat)

Mitchey, it is alleged that he MAY have been texting on his mobile phone, not that he was. As I stated before Metrolink (at lastest report) deny he was texting.
    "Deny" sounds a lot like he had to be texting. Engineers aren't supposed to run red signals without strict permission from the dispatcher. The only way the engineer could have run a red signal is if he was distracted by something, and I don't think anything in the locomotive would be that distracting enough to turn attention from signal monitoring. Not to mention the fact engineers are supposed to be looking at signals. This accident was through negligence, primarily because for a red signal to be ignored, an engineer has to be looking anywhere other than the direction of the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are devices in locomotives that do monitor signals and usually stop the train. There are also the other warning systems as well, so how else could he have run the red signal?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by itstypicalrailfanner View Post
    "Deny" sounds a lot like he had to be texting. Engineers aren't supposed to run red signals without strict permission from the dispatcher. The only way the engineer could have run a red signal is if he was distracted by something, and I don't think anything in the locomotive would be that distracting enough to turn attention from signal monitoring. Not to mention the fact engineers are supposed to be looking at signals. This accident was through negligence, primarily because for a red signal to be ignored, an engineer has to be looking anywhere other than the direction of the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are devices in locomotives that do monitor signals and usually stop the train. There are also the other warning systems as well, so how else could he have run the red signal?
    It was proven he was in fact texting and chatting in fact with his railfan friend who was planning on joining him in the cab. It's because of this accident that there are now rules in place regarding mobile phone use and crew members and engineers are prohibited from turning on a personal mobile phone or tablet. If they are caught doing so, they're terminated no questions asked.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

It always pains me to read about fatal accidents, where people have died in avoidable incidents. Always thank first responders, who have an awful job to do and express sympathy for those who will have suffered enormous loss. It is now down to the investigators to determine the cause of the incident and hopefully the root causes behind it. All we can hope from after that is improvements are made and justice served if criminal matters are uncovered.