What do you love about Trainz?

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
We know that pretty much everyone on these forums loves trains, but we'd love to hear from you why you love "Trainz".

What is it that makes Trainz special? What are the benefits that Trainz has over other products or hobbies? What do you tell your friends about Trainz to encourage them to try it out?

As usual, please try and keep your answers short and concise. As Sir Winston Churchill once sais "I would have written you a shorter letter but I didn't have the time" :)

I love surveyor mode. There are a few problems that I have with it, but those should be fixed in 09. (narrower cuts, smaller radius for textures, ect.)

Hands down it is the ease of use of the Surveyor module. Other train sims' world editors are so user-unfriendly that they may as well not exist at all.

I love creating layouts, I love creating stuff to use (rolling stock etc), and I adore driving trains (cab mode of course...)! :hehe:

Cheers

Nix

Oh yes, Trainz allows me to do all of that, and with a certain amount of realism too. ;)

You forgot to say "I love crashing the trains!"

No, no, don't thank me, I'm always watching to see who I can help!

Nah, I don't love crashing the trains. It just happens from time to time. Plus the physics engine sucks for crashing. Now researching and recreating minor derailments using invisible track can be entertaining and can bring some realism to a route. Like I said before, I don't normally crash trains on purpose except when I am very bored. Most of the crashes are when I don't have a switch set right, or my AI decides to blow a signal and come screaming down the track towards another driver.

It has to be Surveyor :) It is so easy to use. And, for the most part it is very intuitive.

Also, the industry abilities. I don't believe that any other train sim out there has the capability that Trainz does.

The availability of so many user created assets. It's just mind boggeling the amount of items on the DLS.

And, finally it is the community that we have built here. The amount of helpful and friendly folks that we have here is most impressive.

That's why I love Trainz :)

Got to be surveyor, it allows you to be very creative, keeps the mind alive, but most of all the trainz community,it allows people from all walks of life,from all corners of the world to be part of something.

It has to be Surveyor :) It is so easy to use. And, for the most part it is very intuitive.

Also, the industry abilities. I don't believe that any other train sim out there has the capability that Trainz does.

The availability of so many user created assets. It's just mind boggeling the amount of items on the DLS.

And, finally it is the community that we have built here. The amount of helpful and friendly folks that we have here is most impressive.

I agree. This says it all for me.

I love surveyor and driver. But we really need the Alt+U and Alt+Y keys in driver! :'( I like using them in Surveyor, now please can we have them in driver for 09?

Last edited:
Definitely worth the money!

:cool: Surveyor & Quick Drive are my favs.

I enjoy the ability to use common keyboard shortcuts. These are essential to route creation, using mouse & keyboard allows two hand control.

Content Manager Plus has the most efficient Search function yet. Applying filters can produce the very content your looking for. Save Searches makes fixing faulty content much easier. Specific Creator's content, for example, can be grouped together for quick editing.

Content can be modified quickly using the config.txt file.

You can get from CMP to a default route quickly to test asset changes made, and do this many times without trouble and waiting, to get correct editing.

Having the Content Creators Guide, gives quick access to help edit as well as create content.

Using digital elevation modeling(DEM) to create routes that really make trains behave as prototypical as possible is my life-long(30 year) dream.

All this with cool interface & dialogue...how can it get better?

It has to be Surveyor and Driver. I spend a majority of my time in Surveyor working on my current route, but there are times when it's nice to just kick back and enjoy a good ride. I'll pick passenger cars that have user views and look out the window as the AI driver drives along the line. It's nice to see the apposing traffic wait at the signals, or our train wait at the signals for the apposing traffic to pass and our signal to change from red to green.

John

Last edited:
FRANK lol

It has to be Surveyor and Driver. I spend a majority of my time in Surveyor working on my current route, but there are times when it's nice to just kick back and enjoy a good ride. I'll pick passenger cars that have user views and look out the window as the AI driver drives along the line. It's nice to see the apposing traffic wait at the signals, or our train wait at the signals for the apposing traffic to pass and our signal to change from red to green.

John

I love making layouts and putting down some of Franks or Phil's GEs and hooking them up to a huge stack train or freight train.:cool:

Surveyor, and the ease of making content compared to other sims that I've used. No matter what your skill level, you can still get the content into the game. Doesn't matter if it does or doesn't use all the features, it works!

Zec

Absolutely! I couldn't have said it any better.

Fred

Surveyor. It's so much fun and relaxing to use.
I love the fact that I can have a huge layout without having to buy a shopping mall to build it in.

FW

Hi.

Like most of people, Surveyor is the best editing software that have been created since the first personnal computer on the market. So fun to use and let us go our imagination to the sky limit. But doing operations in Driver is also very interesting using interactive industries.

Like suggested in this thread, I completely agree this feature should be added in Driver and I don't understand it never been added earlier.

But we really need the Alt+U and Alt+Y keys in driver!

Andre

1. Surveyor, After using several other railroad Sim's, surveyor is by far, more user-friendly.
  2. The ability to be a railroad manager. Giving certain tasks to several AI drivers and watch as they carry them out.
  3. The ability to jump in and take over from said AI driver when he/she messes up.
  4. A Forum with sound advice and a good sense of humor (Sometimes, LOL)
  5. Hours of cost effective enjoyment.
  6. A massive amount of free extras from the DS.
I could go on and on but you'll probably get fed-up :)
Cheers
Pete..

Back