Escanaba and Lake Superior in the North Woods

Dark clouds threaten rain...As we are set up here at Stiles Jct....Where we catch the daily Crivitz to Green Bay turn on this gloomy fall like day....You can hear the distant thunder roll across the sky....

I'll have to get ya this route....Its an addon I did to one of yours I think...I also added the whole Northern part of the ELSFebruary 8th, 2009 07:59 PM

Yes Jay, I would like to have the Northern part of the ELS route. I know I sent you my version of the Southern portion and I think I sent the Channing portion.

By the way, one of the cab pictures on board the ELS 101 (pic from 1/28 posting) looks like the view is from the conductors seat. Is that true? If so, how did you do that?

Thanks,
Dan

Today was another nice day to take a drive up to the north woods.....Doing so...We took a ride up to see if we can catch some ELS action....On the way up we hugged the trax all the way and we seen nothing from Green Bay all the way up to Pembine...What a long and boring ride that was...UGH!!!! When we got in the Pembine area we heard a lil radio chatter but it was really scratchy.......

We then went a lil further north up to Ralph where we caught our train pulling some cars out of the storage track to take to Crivitz.....THE CHASE IS ON

We then went back South to Pembine where he had to make a set out for the WC....The ELS has stop signs protecting the diamond here at Pembine where the ELS has to come to a full stop before proceeding over the diamond..We also seen some track gang workers working on the rails

The train cuts away from its cars and pulls up with a cut of tankers for the WC to be put in the WC/ELS interchange yard here at Pembine

No pick-ups for the ELS today

With its train back together...He is on the fly once again headed for Crivitz

Here at Crivitz we wait for the SB to come in....As we see him come into Crivitz we see him pulling its train into the small yard here in town

With its train in the yard...He backs down the line to the spur track where he will tie up for the evening

Sitting at the spur track...The conductor and engineer climb down for the day and head into the office to fill out some paper work and soon the local from Green Bay will come up to Crivitz here and swap cars with this train and the crew will then go back North up towards Channing and the Green Bay train will head back to Green Bay with cars from the north

Another train works here out of Crivitz, and that is the Marinette, Menominee local.....His line you can see at the right hand of the pic....In Marinette, Menominee there are a few industries that needs attention daily

Our next train we will chase is the Crivitz to Green Bay train.......Till next time :wave:

WCL,

Great work !
I was born and raised in Northern Michigan ( Gaylord ) , moved to SD when I was 28 , in 1971 .
Your screenies bring back fond memories , you have captured the look of that area in the summer , fall season .

Thanks --- ,DLR

Thanx....Make shure ya keep an eye on this topic :eek: ....I will be posting more pix and stories as the time goes on......

Thanx again :wave:

Wow JJ, summer just started and your great fall ELS pictures have me wishing it was fall again.:D

Enjoyed the links too....thanks.

Great work WCL! Thanks for sharing and dusting off this topic. Glad to hear you will be posting more pics and stories in the future.

:wave:

In Marinette we catch the ELS local that runs between Marinette and Crivitz....Power for todays train is the 1 of the 2 SD40-2's the ELS owns...

The 501 seen here coming into town off the ELS line and onto the tracks of the WC

The 501 pulls into the small yard here at Marinette where it will cut from its train and head up to the yard office and the ELS 1200 will grab these cars and shove them up to the mill

Here the 501 and 1200 pass each other as the 1200 heads to the yard for the cars..."NOTE" The sign on the crossbuck states that no RR fans are welcome on the peoperty

Till next time :wave:

By the way, one of the cab pictures on board the ELS 101 (pic from 1/28 posting) looks like the view is from the conductors seat. Is that true? If so, how did you do that?

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry that I didnt answer this for ya....Just seen it now....LOL....ya hit the [ ] keys and it goes from side to side of the cab.....Or you can edit something to move around with the arrow keys as well

I wanted to try this here as it was ran on the real E&LS...This was observed by a guy on the EandLS Yahoo groups and I wanted to recreate it on TRS, so here we go:

Jim wrote:
"The 501, 402 & 400 showed up at Lineville at 1250 with the first movement of the Smufitt-Stone coal. 44 coal were on the hind end of the train which totaled 74 cars, all loads. Balance of the train was 19 pulpwood loads, 2 veggies from The Falls, a centerbeam from LP and the rest were blue bullets from LP."

I ran my coal loads up front for some reason....Whoops!!!!! UGH, oh well...lol :-/

Im hoping to some day down the road....I was about to release some of the WC routes I had, until my PC took a poop and lost them all....So now its back to day one on them and start all over.... UGH :eek:

Yeah, the ELS don't have many funds, so their line is pretty bad in some spots and as you can see, the bridge is one of the areas that is taking a suffering

Wow looks great WCL! Sorry to hear about your PC pooping out. That's alot of work you had done on some of those WC routes.

Take care and look forward to seeing more with an eventual release.

:)

Here are some more pix...These were shot from the local run that runs from Crivitz to Green Bay, and these few pix were taken around Stiles Jct and Oconto Falls

PS...And a BIG thanx goes out to Robby for making this great F unit for me...THANX :Y:

Great route and pics WCL. I hope to see it released some day. I grew up in Crivitz and for the first 20 years of my life the only trian's I seen were ELS. I never seen a class 1 railroad until I moved to Minnesota two years ago. I remember when all their trains that came through Crivitz were always lead by their two GP 9's. My dads a log truck driver and he loads a lot of their rail cars in Crivitz and I know a few guys that work in the Crivitz yard.

Last edited:
Here is another run that got posted on the EandLS board

Burtron Armbrust, Sr wrote:

"4-27-2010 1420Hrs. 52 Degs. Northbound. E&LS #s 1221 & 1224, 2 CN gons scrap metal, 1 pulp load, MT pulp cars, Blue box cars, 35 coal hoppers; 24 HLMX (CNW), 4 WC (BN), 2 BLE, 3 SSAM, 2 IC. No defects. out"

Last edited:
Back