World Origin Minutes query

trelawney

Trainz Route Surveyor
:confused: Guys, Iam having trouble getting a check between a given distance and the trig co-ords for lat/longs given from "Streetmap.co.uk".
I was wondering whether the Minutes on World Origin to three decimal places is at odds with the lat/longs of only two values.ie is 27=027 or 270? Possibly 27 is 27x60th = a decimal fraction? Cheers.

I am not sure of what readings you are using, so sorry if this is not the answer your after. I do not have TRS open at the moment so working blind here.

If you have a lat/long reading of 35.8261 then the World Origin marker will need 35 in the first square (whatever :hehe: ) and in the "minutes" you would enter ".8261 x 60 = 49.566", so 49.566 goes in the second "minutes" place.

I hope this helps, if its something different let me know and I will look further for you.

Craig
:):):)

Lat and Longitude are given in degrees and decimal minutes: 5 degrees, 6.5 decimal minutes which can also be read as 5 degrees 6 minutes and 30 seconds. If you get my Lat-Long reader, the numbers are easier to see and as you push it around your map, you can see easily see how the numbers change. :cool:

Thanks Guys.It sounds like I need to use a decimal value and maybe do a few maths tricks.But if I can get the decimal values straight off the map website and then use Martin's device I will have well and truly sorted my query. Many Thanks for your help from a 3517 trainzy. :)

Glad to have been able to help. One place I get directly usable values is from Google Earth. I set the location readout in the Options menu to be in degrees and decimal minutes. Then I can apply the numbers to the Reader without any calculation. :cool:

One more quick lesson on changing lat/long formats. Suppose I have a point from a map that is located at 25° 37' 43". To change to decimal form for the minutes do the following:

43/60 + 37 = 37.717
So now it is 25° 37.717'
Sometimes you may want the entire lat/long value in decimal format. To get that perform the last step:
37.717/60 + 25 = 25.62861°

To convert this format to the standard lat/long format do this:

25.62861 - 25 = .62861 (save the 25°)
.62861x60=37.7166
37.7166-37=.7166 (save the 37')
.7166*60=42.996 (round this to 43")

Bob

Before expecting too much: The conversion between decimal degrees and deg/min may be mathematically correct, the World Origin concept in Trainz, however, lacks the geographical correctness. Use utmost care when measuring distances this way. Unless you are very close to the Trainz World Origin all your readings will be very inaccurate.

You will find that the Lat/Lon values given by the World Origin and the Trig point are based on the 10 metre grid and thus have no accurate relation to the real world. It seems that the normal reference point is the lower lefthand corner of the map.

We tried to use this with the making of the DHR and it was too inaccurate.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Back