TTC Discussion

freightcar2

ATTENTION, CANADIANS! Let's talk about the Toronto Transit Comission! Here you can post your questions, answers and other stuff! :D

I'll start us off:

Do the Subway Cars have route textures at each end? (ex: "Kennedy") I've seen them textures in front, but do they display their direction at the back of the car? :)

Thanks.

Now, can someone who lives in Canada give me a list of tips when searching for the Hawker-Siddeley H4 Subway Cars? I need some piccies of them to create trainz models, but so far I only rode on them once.:eek:

I live in Canada

I LIVE IN TORONTO!:D

And I love the H4s.

Look at the link and you will get some good pictures. And when do you think they will be up on the DLS?

And how do you put stuff up on the DLS, anyway?

Look at the link and you will get some good pictures.

Those are mostly of the H1's and H2's. Thank goodness there's a guy on Youtube who makes TTC videos! (He's planning some on the H4). Without him I'd never find anything. :p
When I get back to Toronto, I gonna explore all of the Bloor subway in search of H4's! Why do they have to be gone by 2009!!!! :'( Man I no like T2's!

But there is one good thing about the H4's retirement. Once they gone, the H5's will go to the Bloor-Danforth Subway so by then there will be a larger chance of catching both H5's and H6's at Kennedy (where I board)

And when do you think they will be up on the DLS?

Never. I upload to Trainz.Luvr.

And how do you put stuff up on the DLS, anyway?

Me no no.

!!!TTC DREAM!!!!

I recently had a dream where the TTC had a vote on whether to retire the H4's, H5's and, eventually, H6's, or to rebuild them to extend their operating life. A ton of the people who live in Toronto were there. About 95% of the people voted for the rebuild, while the other 5% percent said this: "No! Don't even think about refurbishing those pieces of trash! Too old, too uncomfortable, and the buzz the H5's and H6's make when they accelerate and decelerate is annoying and unbearable. Retire the Hawkers, and bring on the T2's!" Of course the cars got rebuilt...and my dream went well into 3978...umm, yeah, and the cars were still in service.:eek: The only difference about the pre-rebuild and post rebuild cars was this:

H4 - Redesigned seating (the orange seats like on the H6's only in lime), better performance, steel panelling near the doors and A/C.
H5 - T1 A/C, original H5 seats (except on the T1 prototype car), steel panelling near the doors.
H6 - T1 A/C, original H6 seats, louder (H5) buzz.

And the system was changed too, in the following ways:

The T2's were scrapped.
The H5's were found on all three subway lines.
The H4's and H5's were found on all three subway lines.
The stations were safer - glass panelling along the platform to prevent people from falling onto the tracks. When the train stops, the doors had to be alligned with the opening part of the glass panel.
The T1's got the comfortable vinyl seating.

It was a good dream, I wish it would come true.:'( :'( :'(

When I make some TTC videos, I'll be sure to post them into this thread. I'll avoid the T1's and film the Hawkers while they're still around.;)

I have a question:

I happen to know that back in the day, when Birmingham discontinued streetcar operations, some of our PCC's were sent to the TTC. Are any of them still around (doubt it ;))? What happened to them?

Good question. Unfortunately, I have no idea. However, if you go to youtube and search "TTC PCC streetcars" you'll find something.;)

No it isn't illegal to film on TTC property. Out of all the many time taking pictures of TTC vehicles, i only got stopped once. I learned that the best way is to take pics quickly, meaning you see a subway on the plat form, you get your camera out, take the pics you need, and put away your camera. If you want a pic of a subway, the best is to do it from the back, were the driver isn't there. The front and back are the same, so i wont matter too much.
If you want to take pics of lets say TTC streetcars at the yard, it's best just to ask them first... The only reason some drivers or employees don't want you to take pics, is most likely because they don't want them selves in the pic or something like that. Just read the TTC by laws http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/by_law1.htm go to 16 b and read it. No person shall operate for commercial purposes any camera, video recording device, movie camera, or any similar device upon any vehicle or premises of the Commission without authorization.
No were did it say for hobby or personal use.
also if you wanted to take a pic of a streetcar or bus, the best way not to get stopped it to go on the side walk. It's public property and they can't do anything about it, because you are allowed to take pics on public property, even tough the TTC's stations are public, it is still owed by the TTC...
Hope all of this info helps you out.:)

But what if I want to put the videos on the internet for everyone to enjoy? Do I need authorization for that? :confused:

And those laws are waaaaay to strict...I don't want to be fined for photographing or filming the subway cars! :'( :(

Last edited:
No you don't need authorization for putting it on the internet, as long as you don't sell any of it, you'll me fine. If you don't sell any of it, it wont be against rule 16b. And if they ask, say your doing it for a hobby. And try taking pics from the back, and away from drivers view, so they don't say anything, if they didn't want you to take pictures. Just fallow what i said before and you should be fine.
P.s If anything, and i am 99.9% sure that the only thing the might do is give you a warning, but they most likely wont, if you say your taking pictures for a hobby..
Hope this helps.:)

Thank you! That helped alot. :)

Now, let's get back to talking about the "nicer" stuff:hehe:

Out of all the Toronto Subway Cars built, which was your favourite(s)? I have to say the H4, H5 and H6. The H4 just for what it is, the H5 for the buzz it makes when accelerating and decelerating, and the H6 for it's bright interior. :D All of these cars are soon going to be built for Trainz.;)

Anytime:)
My favourite subway cars are all of them:hehe: well i say the H4 because they are the oldest, the seats are different from the rest of the system, and how they look.:) i also like H5's because of the buzzing sound, and they look different from the rest of the system. H6's i also like, but they remind me of the T1's:hehe: I'm not sure if you are going to do a T1, but i got a pic of a TTC T1, and TTC H4 interior, and out side view (not the best shots of the outside..) http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=181737 here they are. Not sure if this will help, but here it is anyways! More soon to come!:)

P.s you know what lines to get the H4-T1's right?:p

Thank you for the pics.:)

Here are the subways from the TTC I currently plan on making:

Edited out

Why do the H6's remind you of the T-1's? They're pretty similiar to the H5, and the H5 looks nothing like the T1.:hehe: However, one slight thing I dislike about the H6's, and that is the death of the G1's. I never rode on them, and creating them for Trainz with no interior shots is going to be complicated.:p

Yup, I can find H4's on the Bloor-Danforth Line (I'll ride one during rush hour, best time to see them:D), H5's on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line, H6's on the Bloor-Danforth, and the T1's on the whole system.:hehe:

Last edited:
Back