Talk about hot!

HOT!

Hi dmdrake,

I live just over the hill from you. Hot doesn't describe it. Of course, most of us around here don't have air conditioning, who needs it in the mild Bay Area.

Whoever said "It's not the heat, it's the humidity," was lying. :wave:

BTW, love your stuff and use a lot of it.

bl4882

You should send some of that sunshine over here.

I've been waiting for the weather to break so I can re-seed the garden lawn, but it hasn't stopped raining for 3 days. :'(

Smiley.

Fires!

...it hasn't stopped raining for 3 days. :'(

Smiley.

Hey Smileyman, how are you! Over here on the 'left coast' in California we could sure use some of your rain. One of the recent fires burned to within 1-1/2 miles of my parents house... they had their bags packed! This fire season is a real nightmare.:'( :'( :'(

Dave

Hey Dave.

That certainly puts my soggy lawn problem into perspective.
Glad to hear it didn't reach them.
I'm always amazed when watching the news to see how fierce those fires over your side of the pond can be, and how little there is that can be done to stop them.

I feel a lot happier about the rain now.
Cheers. :)

Unless we get flash floods. :eek:

Smiley.

Happens all the time down here. They tried painting the sides of the track white to help, and some tracks have a permanent speed reduction between certain months.

Rail warping due to welded rail?

I wonder if rail warping is due to the practice of using welded rail? Common sense would dictate that if the rail wasn't allowed to expand in hot temperature it would warp. Does anyone know what is the common rail laying practice in hot states to prevent warping?

Last edited:
Its due to the use of welded rail.

When I worked on CSXT, when temps outside reached 85 degrees, if I remember right, it was any speed above 30 was to reduce 10 mph, but no lower than 30...i think thats how it was. Seemed the MOW guys were really busy on those days doing inspections.

~Zak

They prevent kinking by laying the rail on the hot days so it will never expand beyond the original length. Until now.
We've had very nice weather, which is great because we have a power alert because of the heat in northern California, so we're trying not to use the AC.
Just remember, it's a dry heat. Like an oven.

:cool: Claude

That explains why I saw a UP freight and an ACE train going slow through the west end of Pleasanton on Friday coming home from work. Now that the temperature is dropping below 100 degrees they might have an easier time on those tracks. The 110 to 115 this week was nasty. I was outside working in it all week.:(

Bill

heat warping

It may not mater as to your geographic location, but rather to your temperature extremes for the severity of heat warping. From the explanations I have been given by different people about warping I have concluded that the primary cause is expansion or contraction of the rails due to the changes in temperature.

With that having been said, I have observed the expansion of rail directly. While working for the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad Preservation Society, I ran into some difficulties over rail expansion. We had a display track off the turntable that had been installed in the middle of March. By late June the rail had expanded far enough to foul the (manual) table. Apparently the Section-master's estimate of the appropriate gap was incorrect. This track was only about 110 yards/meters long and had expanded about 1.5 to 2 inches (3-4 cm) with a difference of approximately 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius). A handy lining bar (pry bar) quickly solved the problem temporarily. You can guess where the track crew was first thing the following morning.

No, geographic location doesn't have enough influence to matter. It's the temperature of the rail when it's attached to the ties and how far apart they have expansion joints. Ribbon rail cuts down on the number of expansion joints. It doesn't eliminate all of them because of this problem. I remember seeing a major derailment outside Conrath Wisconsin (at least I think it was Conrath) while on vacation in the summer of 1980. It was caused by track warpadge because they put the rails down to cold.

Last year there was some construction happening were they needed to realign the tracks in Pleasanton until they were finished then replace them to their original alignment. That work was finished last fall/winter when it had cooled down considerably. I guess the rail was to cold when they reconnected it.

Bill

In Feb/March 1970 had the luxury of traveling from Alice Springs to Port Augusta (In South Australia & the Northern territory), with a change at Maree. We had to (in only about 10 minutes) reload our bikes (a Yamaha 350cc & Norton 600cc) from one to the other; ourselves!.

I recall mile after slow mile, of crawling along at 10-12 mile per hour, all because of the temperature & rail warping.

Does anyone know the track-laying technology used for the new Adelaide_Darwin Ghann?. I have a feeling it was continuous-welded?.
I know the rail lengths transported to the two Project assembly campsites were very long.

:wave:

"sun kinks" as they are called, are indeed a common problem faced by railroading everywhere temperatures get warm and welded rail, or even 78' sections, are used. this is one of the reasons rail anchors where invented.

not that they solve the problem entirely, the just lock the rail from creeping in relation to the ties so that gauge is maintained, although kinking of the entire rail structure is not prevented entirely. on modern rapid transit lines, like bart, the use of paved continuous track system with pandrol clips seems to work.

for long distances on class one heavy main lines this might not be entirely a practical solution economically. there, rail anchors are quite common.

=^^=
.../\...

Well, even though you've resurrected a four year old thread I will comment that it was just as hot or hotter seventeen years ago in the Chicago area. Global warming it is not!

Its 80 (f) degrees today in South Florida. So far this has been a non-winter. 40 (f) is the lowest weve had and then only once. We have a fireplace in the living room and used to buy 2 cords of wood every year (and use all of it0. Haven't bought any in 10 years or more and this year we haven't even had a fire with those pressed paper logs. Winter sems to be going the way of the dinosaurs, lol.

Ben

Back