Longest Train Ever Probably Was In America and Not Australia????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can two bigboys haul a train 7 miles long?:eek:

I think the Austrialian record setter had 8 or 9 big diesels.:eek:

According to history a Big Boy can haul a train 5 miles long and that's only one two could be 10. Michael_Evans if that picture is confirmed true then everyone's record book on the longest train would be wrong.

man if thats true, then i feel sorry for the people that got stopped by it lol.

and my book would also be wrong

The company who hauled the longest train was BHP and they used all eight of there AC6000CWs to do it that's 48,000HP. This picture here is of two Big boys with what is rumored to be a 7 mile long freight train has 6290 drawbar horsepower, which totals 12580 horsepower.

32 driving wheels on a freight?

(clears throat) Hate to say it, but NSWGR were double-heading AD60s on their coalies EVERY DAY. Thats 32 driving wheels as well.

I not how much cars 7 mile long train would have back in 1940s and 1950s, but I estimate around 800 or more cars along with a caboose probably more than one. They also have a video of the BHP train that was on everyone's record books.

Last edited:
Note the key bolded words (especially red bold) & don't forget that people can edit Wikipedia, to suit their own views, which is why that it EVERY article at Wikipedia should not be shown, until checked.

I found this picture from a link on Wikipedia.org and this is rumored to have been a 7 mile long freight train hauled by two Union Pacific Big Boys. If it is true then the United States broke the record long before BHP in Australia did. Here it is.

All that picture shows is a long freight train pulled by two Big Boys, nothing about how long the train is.

And what about providing the link?

Although books have been known to be wrong, I would put more creditability on a book, rather than an encylopedia(1) that can be edited by anyone.

1. Hmm interesting, without a dictionary at hand, I checked the word encylopedia (AFTER I typed it) on a "Microslop" program, and spells it "...paedia"!

By the way, did you have to use so many "?" & "!" for the title?

Last edited:
Note the key bolded words (especially red bold) & don't forget that people can edit Wikipedia, to suit their own views, which is why that it EVERY article at Wikipedia should not be shown, until checked.

All that picture shows is a long freight train pulled by two Big Boys, nothing about how long the train is.

And what about providing the link?

Although books have been known to be wrong, I would put more creditability on a book, rather than an encylopedia(1) that can be edited by anyone.

1. Hmm interesting, without a dictionary at hand, I checked the word encylopedia (AFTER I typed it) on a "Microslop" program, and spells it "...paedia"!

By the way, did you have to use so many "?" & "!" for the title?

Had to cause if this picture is proven true then it would be shocking even though this takes place during the 1940s or 50s. Plus that was my reaction to seeing what I saw and remember this is only a rumor despite the fact two big boys could pull a train at 7 miles with one big boy capable of pulling 5 miles of freight.

Let me see...

The longest train on record was also the heaviest train on record.
In 2001, BHP Iron Ore assembled a train consisting of 8 locomotives pushing
682ore cars. the train measured4,568miles in length and weighed an astonishing220 million pounds.

there you have it...

Spiffy raises an excellent point. Also, according to my info, Big Boys could exert about 135,000 lb of tractive effort on a good day. That means 270,000 total. The cars of the day had friction bearing trucks, which means at least 15 or 20 lb of te per ton. Surely 800 40 foot freight cars of the day on friction bearing trucks would have presented enough rolling resistance to make the locos slip if they were loaded, even if they had enough horsepower to start and keep the train rolling. It might have just been possible on straight and near level track, though, if they are were empties. But don't trust my math, the IRS sure doesn't.

Bernie

Back