Poll: Real trains, model trains or games?

Before you discovered TRAINZ what was your main area of interest?

• I was a gamer

Votes: 48 14.6%
  • I was a Model Railroad fan

Votes: 130 39.5%
  • I was a real life train fan

Votes: 125 38.0%
  • None of these

Votes: 26 7.9%

• Total voters

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Everyone knows something about trains, but everyone has a different background regarding how they became involved in TRAINZ. This poll is to determine your trains background.

Hmmmm, which to choose... I was both really. Although my model railway was more just a 'toy' at that stage :p

I'll got with 'real' :)

Zec

I have always been a railroad fanatic - From a young child and my earliest memories growing up on the juction of multiple railways to working my way up from a dishwasher, cook then chef on the passenger trains to yardman, trainman, conductor and finally Engineman until the injury which took it from me. Trainz has become my life line!

Brian

I was (and I still am) a railfan and I would have liked to be a model railroader...than Trainz came and made it possible! :D

while i'm an all of the above, i'm also both more and less. probably the 'gamer' part least of the lot.

model trains were my first love from when i was not even one year old.
the real ones i grew up on and around. my father was telegrapher/towerman/clerk most of his life (most of the assignments he worked incorporated all three job descriptions), and i even worked for the sufferin pathetic myself for a year or so, back in the early 70s, as an equipment apprentice in maintainence of way.

the more is in my seeing guided ground public transportation in all its forms, past, current and yet to be imagined, as a way forward into the future, as much and more then a relic from the past. not in ancestral forms of course, nor entirely, though quite possibly resembling them to signifigant degree.

the automobile, it is my impression, much as there is so many seem to find to love about it, will likely not always remain practical as the primary means of transportation for the majority of people. this for many reasons, many of which, it is of course political to currently deny.

so the thing is, seeing guided ground in some form, or many forms, to answer the diversity of needs in diverse locations, my thoughts and visions are not limited to any nostelgic attatchment to the past, though i must admit a certain love for the aesthetics of the tecnology, but every and all means by which it can be taylored to fulfill this role.

hence my love for little people sized trains, i.e. narrow guage and very narrow gauge, not so much of the past, but of the present, recent past, and relatively near future.

i would add that my intrest in rpgaming is pretty much limited to simulating the kind of world i would rather be living in, a direction very much at odds with that which market forces ever has or currently as far as i know or can tell, seem to be pushing it.

=^^=
.../\...

Last edited:
Loved model railways but, being in the army & after leaving still working away from home, could never "get going".

Have always been interested in steam since a boy (1940s). Trainspotted the GWR locos at Taunton Somerset. Then came Dr. Bl**** Beeching, then the dreaded diesels etc. Lost interest until a Google search found Charlie's site. Purchased UTC and haven't looked back:D

Everyone knows something about trains, but everyone has a different background regarding how they became involved in TRAINZ. This poll is to determine your trains background.

You don't consider that some of us were a gamer, a real life train fan and a model train fan! :p

EDIT: But since it was nearly 8 years ago, (when I joined) I forgot what I was.

I was interested in model trains long before I found Trainz, but I was also a bit of a gamer, but I went with Model Train fan.

I didn't really become interested in real trains until after I found Trainz.

Chris

Was? I still AM! :p

I'm a real-life railfan (I'm a regular volunteer at the local museum and have connections in the industry), with a little modeling on the side, and a few tycoon/sim games thrown in (of course, the virtual world suddenly became more enticing when I was introduced to Trainz! ;)).

I was a gamer ...

However, ever since I was kid I enjoyed playing with trainz toys, like most of us have ... :hehe: :wave:

I was a gamer, but not a huge one. I really did none of the options.:eek:

My dad worked with the railroad, Conrail then CSXT, and I always like trains in some way. I saw Trainz for $20 on the shelf at BestBuy and thought, "Lets give this a shot." Now here I am, 3 years later!:p :cool:

I never heard of model railroading before. I had seen them a the State Fair but I always thought it was just an exibit. Never knew it was a hobby. Trying to get into it though!:)

Cheers,
Adam

I know there's a "Gamer" category, but should there also be one for those of us who were specifically existing train-simmers prior to TRS (not necessarily MSTS but some of the older programmes, such as Railsim and Train Driver 3)?

Would never consider myself a trainspotter or "basher", just enjoyed the ambience of travelling around by train over scenic routes with interesting (i.e. noisy) motive power in rolling stock you could actually open the windows and smell the diesel fumes!

To be honest I could select all of the first three options as I tried building a model railway until I discovered PC (well, Amiga) gaming, which in turn led to train simming.

Last edited:
Back