New Sim - World of Subway Simulator

Dr Jimi (of MSTS District Line fame) has just posted a review over at UKTS, after purchasing the download version...

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=260&t=87116

:udrool: :udrool: :udrool::mop: :mop: :mop: :mop:

I opted for the boxed version so guess I will have to wait a little longer for my subway experience. Sounds like the lads have done a cracking job with this one though.

I tried out WOS:pATH and I thought that it's very good. In high-res mode, the graphics are very good. Some trains run from 33rd Street to Hoboken, reverse direction, and run to Journal Square or Newark (?). What do the designation signs on those trains say? How do I simulate this route? Some curves are very sharp so you have to keep the speed of the train at 15 MPH or below.

I don't think there is one. I think it is unneeded since it is very closely based on the PATH system between NYC and New Jersey.

So has anyone tried this yet, I think it's available for download only right now and should be ready for regular sale soon.

Besides the very good graphics, driving the PATH train is more realistic in WOS:pATH. You got to slow down before sharp curves and track switches or you'll derail. You got to stop for red signals or the automatic train stop system will trip the emergency brakes. You can't drive the PATH train very slowly through red signals in WOS:pATH. I thought that the sounds of doors opening and closing were wrong. A few passengers are animated. A female passenger at the end of a platform looks at her watch. Maybe adding too many animated passengers causes the program to have low FPS.

the c4 graphics engine is great, exspecially the dynamic lights in the cabin are looking superp.
The rest of the game (gameplay, 3D Modells, track geometrie may need some fixes... .

BUT IT'S A LOT OF FUN... .

*takes out machine gun*

about time i did it.

And who exactly are you machine gunning.......................? ?

On the subject of this game, its looks like a great game for subway fans, i like big smokey diesels (steamers are good too and even some electrics) so this game has little appeal to me. The graphics look excellent for sure. Lets see how user editable this game is, that will be a test of longevity. Or it may just be marketed more as a game with missions and such than a actual sim which can be added on to, i guess its just a different approach, it would be hard to achieve such graphical detail with a route editing program instead of a 3d modeling program.

Btw: heres a really good vid of WOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON25BO3hJP4&feature=related

World of Subways is a nice game, though it has a few issues.

One, the voice announcements are horrible. How difficult would it have been to get someone who actually speaks English to record them? Two, some of the textures are reversed (ie., the route map inside the subway cars, some of the bi-level amtrak car textures, etc.). Three, what are bi-level amtrak transition cars doing on the NEC where they're never used? Why don't they have any engines? They're just sitting abandoned in Newark Penn Station and alongside the tracks. How difficult would it have been to make an amfleet model and an AE7 model to pull them? Four, the traffic doesn't move. Granted, this often happens in northern New Jersey, but it's strange to see a highway full of traffic and none of it is moving. Five, getting out of the cab anywhere but in the station drops you into a bottomless pit which forces you to exit the game. Six, what's up with those bogus PATH logos which look like O's (with no arrow on the bottom)? Didn't want to pay to license the real ones?

Of course, there's a lot they DID get right. First, PATH is a relatively small system with only 13 stations, excellent for modelling (in contrast, none of NY's subway lines have that few stations). It also has both above ground and underground portions, and some of the routes are as short as 4 stations (ie., Hoboken - WTC or WTC - JSQ), which is great for starting out or practicing. The stations look excellent. The subway cars quality-wise are graphically about the same level as the ones I've created for Trainz. The high detail version runs fine on my high-end computer (have to see how it works on the laptop).

Overall, I've had a lot of fun with it so far, though some things seem a little strange (you've got to turn on the AC before each run? It wants you to turn out the headlights at the stations? Does PATH actually do this, or is this just some strange German thing?). They include the PA2, PA3 and PA4 cars, which all look and drive pretty much the same. I think the old "K" cars or even older black cars would have made a nice change of pace, but then they'd need to include Hudson Terminal instead of WTC.

Technologically, there's no reason something similar couldn't be done with Trainz (just give me a nice budget and a good scripter), though their in-cab dynamic lighting is much better than Trainz brain-dead cab lighting. For a subway fan, it's probably a must-purchase.

Installed it on my $300 laptop, just to see if it would run. The "high resolution" version runs, but not acceptably. I'm going to uninstall it and try the low resolution version.

Low resolution version seems to run acceptably, frame-rate wise, but the track keeps deforming. I'll have to play with the settings some to see if I can correct it.

Last edited:
wos

this is by far the best trains sim ever. graphic are unbelieveable, you are
definitely in control , this was worth the wait.:D

I think my take on it is it seems closed as opposed to the open ended nature of Trainz. Also at 60 euros for a single route that appears to have no add ons it doesn't compare price wise to Trainz.

I think the best that Trainz can do with TRS2009 is very close if not better than this SIM. The cars look good but take a closer look at them and you'll notice the textures are done in a particular way to show to the best advantage of the game engine not for accuracy. I'm not certain that statement makes sense but if you read the books on creating textures for games you'd know what I mean.

Interesting in that it gives content creators something to aim at.

Cheerio John

Back