Timber Ridge Line, 30 miles of fun

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
Its been quite a few months now since I finished my first release of the Timber Ridge Line. The route consists of about 12-15 miles of Main line Narrow gauge track. Quite a far cry from the first version of the route, which was lost due to a corrupt config file. That route was over 30 miles long. I spent 4 months laying the track, and was very upset when I lost it. so I went back to work, down sizing the route quite a bit, and I changed the layout a lot as well.

But, I still had 12 miles of track. And now I can happily say that it will reach 30 miles once again. I am currently working on an expansion of the route, based off of Colorado Narrow gauge operations out of Antanito and Alamosa. I decided that if I wanted to double the size of the layout, that making it a plains setting was the easiest and most logical way to double the size of the route. I have already added some 5 miles of track, including 2 half mile long grades, one of which is a constant 3.5% (make sure you build up a good head of steam before taking it on).

And something else that will exist in this new expanded route will have over the first version. a 10 mile long dual gauge line. I already have 5 miles of track, so I figured this last bit should be dual gauge. I am working on 2 custom signs for the route, which say "End of Narrow Gauge" and "End of Standard Gauge" based on signs used on the D&RGW in Alamosa, and a sign that is currently at the Colorado Railroad museum.

On the Dual Gauge portion I plan on adding 3 stations. The run from Timber Ridge to Red Valley is around 7 miles, so these 3 stations will be much closer together. I may also end up expanding the route beyond 40 miles in this expansion, since grassy plains are quite easy to build compared to my mountain terrain seen in the rest of the route. We will see what I feel like. I have to provide a nice running ground for Todd's "Sports Model" K-28 locomotives

Screenshot_736.jpg

Screenshot_744-1.jpg

Screenshot_749.jpg

Screenshot_753.jpg

Screenshot_754.jpg

Screenshot_764.jpg

Screenshot_770.jpg

Can't wait to see more of this! :D

EDIT: I guess this will be the 1337-est post I'll make here... ;)

Last edited:
Who knew that my old Thomas the Tank engine stunt would actually come in handy. Using Thomas (Modified mind you) I measured the route at 22.6 Miles in length. At 2200 MPH, it took all of 10 seconds to go from one end to the other

I may cut short of 30 Miles. But still, it will be a nice long flat run for those speed demon K-28s (still waiting for them....impatient!!!)

Either way, the big challenge lays ahead, an Alamosa like Dual Gauge Yard. Anyone know where I can get a layout of the yard around 1950? I would prefer free, but if I must I must, the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forums seem to have been smited to read only, so its almost no use now

Was that the route I beta tested for you? (Timber Ridge Line) I probably still have it laying around here somewhere I think.

Rick

I am a bit confused about the frame rate,
because there are minor objects around the train. :eek:

B.t.W.: What for an Steamer is it?

its kind of the same route you beta tested. The version you had (have) was released many months ago, this is a new and updated version

and the Locomotive is Todd's K-36

not sure what you mean about the FPS, my computer has been infected by a nasty virus that one of my friends accidentally sent me via MSN, so its been running half as fast as it should. Basically it infects peoples computers, and Hijacks their MSN. its sends a link which appears to be a .jpg file and asks you "Is this really you?"

if you click on the file (as I stupidly did) it then downloads itself to your computer, and then hijacks your MSN for the same purpose. I neutralized the virus itself, so my MSN contacts are safe, but parts of it are still on my computer and significantly affect performance. I need to Wipe the drive and start over, but it would be far easier at this point to just buy a new computer, my PC is around 6 years old now, and it needs to be replaced

Oh, OK. I didn't see the release blog for it. Glad you finely got 'er off the ground, though.
Here's a plug... This is not a bad 36" NG route, folks, (Timber Ridge Line). As a beta tester, I had a lot of fun playing around on it.;)

6 years old? Ya, I'd say it's time for a new PC, too. LOL

Have fun!

Rick

and the Locomotive is Todd's K-36

Sorry, I didn't find it at the DLS.
I found only:

Durango and silverton K-36 #485 Tender , KUID:284555:100421
Durango & Silverton K-36 #485 , KUID:284555:100422
K-36 Driver, KUID:43955:50013
K-36 Tender Truck , KUID:43955:50016
K-36 Trailing Truck , KUID:43955:50015
K-36/37 Whistle , KUID:43955:54001

not sure what you mean about the FPS,...

The Number right upon the screenshot marks Your Frames per Second.

www.steammachine.com/prowler

Its not on the DLS

Anyway, Im currently filling in the Scenery up to the last Baseboard. The next baseboards I build will be the Alamosa styled Dual gauge yard, and it may be a while before I collect enough information to actually build the yard. So until then I am going to fill in. Anyone know any good base textures for a near desert like area. Also looking for some good splines of sage and such. I want this to look good because its so wide open

Ive been watching the Anime series Sonic X....so my attention has been split, but its coming along nicely

Last edited:
Still no progress on the large yard. I have had a hell of a time getting maps of Alamosa, and the DVD with a diagram of the yard is $100, seems like a waste just to get a map of a single city

Anyway, here is the little town of La Forge, next I will begin work on La Pinta (all of which are knock offs of La Jara, Colorado, can you tell?)

Screenshot_839.jpg

Screenshot_842.jpg

Screenshot_845.jpg

Screenshot_854.jpg

Screenshot_863.jpg

Track Work is now basically complete.

Through Todd's advice, I converted 361 and 491 (reskinned from 494) into "dead" locomotives. the Idea here is to put them on static display in the Larger town (Prower) and attach that display track to the spur line leading out to the Narrow Gauge Coal and Water towers. this way, you can go push these dead locomotives around to where ever you want. Not sure if anyone else has done this before, if not, then I guess I'm the first

I have a very large yard, with a warehouse to transfer freight from narrow gauge cars to Standard gauge ones (non functioning at this time, the industry model is very basic right now)

I have a lot of work to do, while the main line is complete, I will be adding many more interactive industries.

Should have some pictures tomorrow

Im not a BIG steam fan...But this route for sure will be a fun one to run...Might just have to give a lil in on steam :hehe: ...Keep up the good work :cool:

I actually used thomas the tank engine on this route. I modified him a long time ago to go insanely fast (with the intention of crashing him left and right) so I was able to cover the whole route in about 10 seconds. That made measuring the main line mileage far easier

the first part was about 13 miles, I have added another 15 miles on top of that I think, have not measured since I added the last town

Back