We Want to BURY You - 40 ft. Below!

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
Hello fellow Trainzers:

All of us who worked to bring you the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway have now begun work on another 'groundbreaking' route.

This is yet another two-foot narrowgauge route set in the city of Chicago, Illinois, USA. Large gradients are practically non-existent, but curves are very short radius. Virtually the entire railroad is 40 ft. below the streets of Chicago! The line was started in August, 1899 as the Illinois Telephone and Telegraph Company and broke ground very shortly thereafter in the basement of a building on Madison Street. On October 29, 1903 the name changed to the Illinois Tunnel Company and shortly thereafter, the first electric locomotives arrived and were put to work. Construction continued until March 26, 1912 when a new company, The Chicago Tunnel Company, was formed. That name was retained until the railroad was dissolved in 1956. The tunnels, however, still remain even today!

Those of you thinking "oh, another subway line" would be wrong. The various companies neither catered to, nor were allowed to even carry, passengers. This line was created to handle merchandise to and from the area of Chicago known as the Loop.

The line carried goods through about 60 miles of tunnels to and from both businesses and railyards in the greater Loop area. This tunnel route interfaced with 22 railroad freight houses, 4 train stations, 26 commercial businesses, 13 non-commercial locations, and 4 public shipment stations in addition to 46 connections for coal and/or ash.

Access to the tunnels was via 96 elevators which hauled cars from subsurface to basement docks where they were tended to. As most commercial and non-commercial establishments used coal-fed boilers, this line hauled coal from incoming surface freight trains which was dropped into chutes to cars waiting below for delivery. Burning coal produces ash, so this was hauled out of the city to dumping areas.

So far, the Trainz Narrowgaugers have recreated all of the trackage of this unique line. We now need some help with things such as interactive rolling stock, coal chutes, ash dumps, commercial docks, and various commercial/postal loads of freight. This type of work is unique in that you would essentially be working from the inside out. Think "ship in a bottle" or "hamster habitat" where tunnels connect with interactive dock areas inside a shoebox. In some places, tunnel tracks lead right into a sub-basement where transshipment takes place, but others require the use of an elevator (which we have developed a working model of) to the surface.

Even on the surface, the action would be contained inside a box sitting on the "ground" (which is actually 15 Meters in the air over the trainboard). All of the new items would probably require GMax, so this is where we need help. Since Trainz works best in the Metric system, we have chosen 15 meters (metres) which is roughtly 49.2 feet, as our working height (above ground). This means that tracks are laid right on the trainboard (at 0.0) and elevators reach 15M up into the air.

If you want to give us a hand, and join the rest of us in the Trainz Narrowgauger's Group send me an email at "hiballer (at) sbcglobal.net"

Bill

A shot of one of the basement exits to a tunnel. Come on over to the Screen shots section for more live and Trainz pictures.

real1.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Concept! Good Luck!

Neat project! Good luck!:Y: I'll be watching this one with great interest. Someday I would like to build a working underground coal mine that would most likely use the wonderful underground assets made for this project.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Pretty much all of the content on this project (well, all of it really) has been hand made for this project. It will be hosted on our DHR site like we did the DHR. Content items may be showing up on the DLS though after the route has been released for a while.

Bill

Unusual yes at the same time London used to operate something similar for the Royal Mail in a narrow gauge system between depots until recently.

I'll join up if you want :)
Tell me what you want me to make, and I'll do it :)

Will break my 'boredom' with Gmax (Or can I work in 3DSMax for this, as I find this easier?). :)

Zec

Hello guys,

You manage what I didn't think possible, you surprised me in a very positive way with next project choice - something that caught my attention real good!

Cool stuff, almost nearing my type of interest - keep that up and I be back soon. LOL

About the elevator, found a better way to control it then the stupid red/green arrows that is default in the turntable setup?
I tend to stress way to much getting those clicked on in my own elevators (mine head frames and alike).
I know before a certain SP (don't remember which, think it was SP2) for TRS2004 I could attach a cab to the turntable setup, it was lost in later Service Packs (but replace back in TRS2006) which made me stop my work on the system I had in mind.

Great to see the brilliant mind and work from you guys battling the "inside but outside the box" part of Trainz - thank you!

Best wishes from Norway

Linda

Linda

I thought that this would drag you back to the surface. Are you sure that you don't want to get involved, we would welcome you back, even if it is only to make something small.

Every scenic item is inside out with the normals pointing inwards. Definitely an inside-out route.

About the cab, that is shown as part of the Auran traverser, I didn't know it would not work in 2004. I was going to experiment with that, you've spoilt my day.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Rjhowie:

You are correct. One of the books we have on the route mentions that it was the basis for a Royal Mail route under London. Two foot gauge and all. It even has some pictures of it.

Bill

aaarrrgggh all the "undergroud" jokes seem to be surfacing...(great I'm not that much help either :p )

peter

Linda

I thought that this would drag you back to the surface. Are you sure that you don't want to get involved, we would welcome you back, even if it is only to make something small.

Every scenic item is inside out with the normals pointing inwards. Definitely an inside-out route.

About the cab, that is shown as part of the Auran traverser, I didn't know it would not work in 2004. I was going to experiment with that, you've spoilt my day.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Tempting, very tempting, but not there yet. :(

Sorry to have spoiled the fun with the turntable, but hey, why listen to me, go check and play it for your self - might been only my computer it happen on (please say it so, please... :hehe:)

Poke me from time to time if you want, I am curious about this new project, but very afraid of commitments as my golden touch has left me together with my normal old life.

Keep up the work guys, it looks like a "easy" route to go being underground and all. :)

I know how to model from the inside out - it can be hard when underground in the Trainz world - that is blue for those who don't know it, and it shows every cracks there is in the model.
Being above ground like you seem to do it, sounds better in a way, as one can cheat a little an paint all the boards around black to hide any cracks there might creep in.

Love the locomotive, I will keep an eye out for more news and maybe we meet down the hole one day soon. LOL

Till then, I'm going back to my underground. :wave:

Best wishes

Linda

Hi Linda.

Maybe with spring coming everywhere (at least in the Northern hemisphere) you will have time to surface. Remember, it was your initial work that produced the NG tracks for the DHR.

Bill

I'm willing to lend a hand, I would prefer building rolling stock but I'll do whatever is needed.

Cheers,
Sam

Considering that making tunnels is "boring" and that we are " buried up to our eyebrows" in work, I think we are "digging in" quite well and there is "light at the end of the tunnel". Of course we need more information which we will have to "dig up".

The w"hole" project is working well, and I think we will "see daylight" soon.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Punishment for punning

Oh Peter, you know there is a place for punsters like you!;) Down, down below!! Can you digg it!

Dave

Digging you guys... ;)

Thanks for the smile!

Keep on digging, you might find me waiting for you...

Also, thanks for the link - going through it all takes a little time, but I'm impressed that is for sure!

Best wishes always from a mine rat!

Linda

Back