Blender exporter

Hello Ashan no longer using trainz or rather cmp no longer using me as impossible to make anything unless commit with cmp which locks up with Vista.
Well, CMP shouldn't lock up under Vista, I've used TRS2006, TC1 and TC3 without any problems.

Anyway, another plus point for Blender is that it is now available as a portable app - it doesn't need to be installed and doesn't write any data to the hard drive or the Registry. This means you can stick it on a stick(!) and use it anywhere you can find a USB port.

BTW Blender 2.46 was released today (19th May).

Paul

Last edited:
Well, CMP shouldn't lock up under Vista, I've used TRS2006, TC1 and TC3 without any problems.

Anyway, another plus point for Blender is that it is now available as a portable app - it doesn't need to be installed and doesn't write any data to the hard drive or the Registry. This means you can stick it on a stick(!) and use it anywhere you can find a USB port.

BTW Blender 2.46 was released today (19th May).

Paul

Hello Paul Thanks for update re 2.46.
cmp (classics 1&2) shouldn't lock up I know, but nevertheless it does on mine, or rather did as no longer have any trainz.

Barry

Maybe Barry you should assist in this project because you have a great knowledge in using blender in the past and any ship tutorials on your site?:D

What blender should offer is a better alturnative to GMAX that is fully supported under different operating systems such as Vista and should be capable of some enhancements over what we can get out of GMAX, especially on the texture side. However we need a graphic artist or some one with better graphics background than myself to better define these and sort out how to translate them into Trainz.

The other side of this is the quality of some of the video tutorials, to put it mildly they are very good. Unfortunately they cover a lot of material that we don't need for creating items for Trainz. We need to simplify things so that only those things you need we present to you in the tutorials and that takes time and effort.

The project as it stands at the moment is to create a working exporter from GMAX, given the current resouces that is about as far as they will stretch. So far we have created a working wagon, a house with smoke coming from the chimney, and a working steam loco animated bogey complete with coupling rods. We are using both https://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderextrainz for running the project, and Wikibook for end user documentation which means it is open for anyone to add in information and a tutorial etc. complete with screen shots. I use the word we because quite a few people have contributed their bit to the puzzle, I've just made a few suggestions, requests and worked with a couple of config.txt files.

There are already a number of content creators creating in Blender so hopefully they may be able to come up with something on the tutorial side.

Note to Barry may I copy your texturing notes into the Wikibook?

Thanks

Cheerio John

Hello John there may be errors in the description as just written quickly also may be part wrong. Probably correct, more use at your own risk. I always add that to my tutorials

You could test them out and if OK rewrite it with your name.

I will probably write a more detailed tutorial for it later on my site.

Barry

Hello John there may be errors in the description as just written quickly also may be part wrong. Probably correct, more use at your own risk. I always add that to my tutorials

You could test them out and if OK rewrite it with your name.

Barry

Thanks, it's a start and with wikibook people can add to them or correct them as life goes on.

Cheerio John

Hello Paul Thanks for update re 2.46.
cmp (classics 1&2) shouldn't lock up I know, but nevertheless it does on mine, or rather did as no longer have any trainz.

Barry

downloading 2.46 now.:D

Barry

Good to hear Barry thanks, not possible in PDF format?.:)

If some of you work with Autosmoothing, then the new version 0.61 might be of interest.

thanks for the update.:)

@johnwelan:

If you have a complex mesh and want to have some faces to be solid and some faces to be smooth, then you can activate Autosmoothing(Hotkey F9, at the Mesh panel) and define a smoothing angle. As long as at least one neighbour of a face are below or equal to this angle, the face is shown(and exported :)) smooth. Autosmoothing works only for faces already set smooth, so you can control it additionally for every face by setting them solid or smooth.

The whole story you find here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Mesh_Smoothing

Ciao uschi

@johnwelan:

If you have a complex mesh and want to have some faces to be solid and some faces to be smooth, then you can activate Autosmoothing(Hotkey F9, at the Mesh panel) and define a smoothing angle. As long as at least one neighbour of a face are below or equal to this angle, the face is shown(and exported :)) smooth. Autosmoothing works only for faces already set smooth, so you can control it additionally for every face by setting them solid or smooth.

The whole story you find here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Mesh_Smoothing

Ciao uschi

Does Trainz recognise it?

Thanks John

Hello Ashan no longer using trainz or rather cmp no longer using me as impossible to make anything unless commit with cmp which locks up with Vista.
Nothing to do with download station.

But that is just to explain.
My site is not a Blender site but for collectables so ignore that section if you find it.
However I have put 4 basic Blender Tutorials back on or 3 plus hints.

The link to the tutorials links is
http://www.barandshe.clara.net/blendertuts.html

Also working my way around the UK for sailing sceneries but on hold at present until next version arrives hopefully in a few months. I have started pages off for these and details some of the coastal content made with Blender including the North Wales Castles. Made them all except Aberystwyth but still have to post a few pages up.

If you get used to using the Blender keys Blender becomes quite easy to use.

B

blendcontent.JPG

Blender made content. Shows inn from tutorial

Hello Barry

I have Successfully half way followed your Blender Inn Tutorial without any problems.:D apart from a few spelling mistakes I noticed in the Tutorial:hehe: . Now I've reached the final part: TEXTURING THE INN, any problems I'll post here.:)

Anyone who wants to learn blender and it basics I recommend Blender Inn Tutorial for starters.

I'm going to go through all your Tutorials one by one before I start making my own content for Trainz using Blender and also using the Blender Trainz exporter to export it.:)

also will give feedback to John regards the blender trainz exporter.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
Hello Ahsan glad you are making progress.
Gave up on Trainz as too many problems now for me with it but Blender can be used for a variety of simulators so save all the blend file you make and then you have the chance to export to different file types if needed.

Will look in on this thread from time to time.
Why I like to try and help is that I know from my own experience with gmax it can take months to try and understand things for the sake of a simple explanation and a few mouse clicks.

It took me weeks to solve a simple Blender problem with Vista/or the last few Blender editions, you MUST click on texface tab to export a texture to a file type otherwise it's just white.

You could save the inn texture off the tutorial as removed the download for the texture. Convert it to tga and resize to the usual 16 multiple 512 x 256 or whatever, or use your own. You will have to get busy with the digital camera and take any photos that may be useful of even parts of them.
Irfanview is useful for resizing and changing file types etc.

Regarding the tutorials you may be best doing the boat tutorial next as will get you used to extruding shapes. A quick hint to extrude faces. Right click on faces holding down shift to select them. Then Tab to get get them in edit mode then E for extrude and move mouse.
Change views. Place shape say in front/side view view then change to top view numpad 7 to extrude.

The Boolean tutorial is only small, and the animation one you can delve into that at your leisure.

Barry

Last edited:
Blender 2.46

With Blender 2.46 the UV-Face-Select mode no longer exists. You have to switch to Edit mode to select faces for UV mapping. The menu entry UV Unmap is now located in the mesh menu.
Maybe you should stay with Blender 2.45 if you want to use existing tutorials regarding UV mapping.

With Blender 2.46 the UV-Face-Select mode no longer exists. You have to switch to Edit mode to select faces for UV mapping. The menu entry UV Unmap is now located in the mesh menu.
Maybe you should stay with Blender 2.45 if you want to use existing tutorials regarding UV mapping.

Thanks for the update.
No problem as have used Blender for about 5 years and will just revise my tutorials when I eventually download the current version and find out. It keeps changing each year. The tutorials are mainly for myself so that I can refer back to them myself if need be. Although there are many tutorials by others on the internet so the version of Blender you are using is something to keep in mind.

If interested although Blender has it's own integrated game engine the free Crystal space is worth looking at. Not that I can understand it.
Blender can be used in conjunction with parts of it

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

B

Last edited:
Back