Trainz 2006 program not launching after importing trains

stevebrown

Firstly, apologies if this has already been posted.

I bought Trainz2006 yesterday, installed it and everything ran fine.

I bought a Virgin Voyager train pack from Railwaves this morning and imported it as instructed using the Content Management program. I double-clicked on the Trainz icon and the initial selection menu appeared allowing the launching of Trainz. I selected this and my computer appeared to hang. On closer investigation using Task Manager I found that 'Launcher.exe' was running at 100% CPU usage. I quit that and Trainz started, although I never made it to the main Trainz menu in the program (the computer hung with 100% CPU this time on Trainz.exe). I restarted the PC but that same problem. So I uninstalled Trainz, rebooted, reinstalled it, ran it, imported the Voyager trains again and it worked fine.

Earlier, I downloaded some trains from the Download station, imported them and now I have exactly the same problem as described above. Has anyone had this happen to them? Currently running XP Pro SP2 completely up to date, latest NVidia graphics drivers on an Athlon XP 64 3200 processor with 1GB Ram system. I have tried changing the setting from OpenGL to DirectX and still have the same problem (also have the latest DirectX installed too).

I've read on other threads on here that there is Service Pack 1 available for 2006 but where can I download it from? The official Trainz2006 site is so slow that Internet Explorer keeps timing out so I can't even get to the support page on there!

The little I have seen of the program is very impressive so I don't want to give up on this!

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Steve

First you have to check if you need the SP1 for TRS2006 Steve. There are copies which already have the SP1 installed. Check the build number of your version and post it here.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Firstly, the content importing is a oft-mentioned problem on here. Try searching the forum for "assets.tdx" or "assets.bku", and this should answer your question.

As for the second question, as Zwabberaar says, we need your build number.

The only place I have seen the build number is in the program itself which at the moment I cannot get into! From memory I think it was 22xx or similar - I'm sure there is two '2's in there somewhere!

I just launched the ReadMe from the launch menu and 'Launcher.exe' was showing as 100% again so it appears to be a launcher issue rather than the program itself.

Can I find the build number anywhere else - say the file information of Trainz.exe?

Last edited:
That would concur with my theory about "assets.tdx".

Basically, what you need to do is to make sure that trainz.exe, launcher.exe, content manager.exe, and ~e5.001.exe (or similar), are not running in task manager. Then navigate to the place where you installed trainz, by default C:\Program files\Auran\TRS2006\ In there will be a file called assets.tdx. Delete this. Then go into the cache folder and delete assets.bku (if present). Then restart the PC and start up CMP. Then leave it to sit and rebuild these files. To monitor this, open the task manager and find either launcher.exe or content manager.exe in the processes list. If the memory usage (the counter on the right) is going up, then it is working. If not, kill it and you have a bigger problem.

Eventually, CMP should appear. If it displays messages in boxes such as "Checking that you have a valid username AND password", then SP1 is installed. If not, then you don't and it can be downloaded from one of two places, depending on where you purchased the game.

If you purchased it from JustTrains, then you can download the patch from the JustFlight website. If it is from Auran, then you need to go through the Auran website.

HTH,

That would concur with my theory about "assets.tdx".

Basically, what you need to do is to make sure that trainz.exe, launcher.exe, content manager.exe, and ~e5.001.exe (or similar), are not running in task manager. Then navigate to the place where you installed trainz, by default C:\Program files\Auran\TRS2006\ In there will be a file called assets.tdx. Delete this. Then go into the cache folder and delete assets.bku (if present). Then restart the PC and start up CMP. Then leave it to sit and rebuild these files. To monitor this, open the task manager and find either launcher.exe or content manager.exe in the processes list. If the memory usage (the counter on the right) is going up, then it is working. If not, kill it and you have a bigger problem.

Eventually, CMP should appear. If it displays messages in boxes such as "Checking that you have a valid username AND password", then SP1 is installed. If not, then you don't and it can be downloaded from one of two places, depending on where you purchased the game.

If you purchased it from JustTrains, then you can download the patch from the JustFlight website. If it is from Auran, then you need to go through the Auran website.

HTH,
Thanks for your help. I tried all that but still no luck :(
CMP did everything you said it would, there was one item (that I had downloaded) that had a dependancy missing so I deleted it. I launched Trainz again but still the same problem (100% CPU usage). I never saw anything about usernames and passwords so I'm assuming I do not have SP1 installed.

I'm probably being really thick here but I've looked on the justflight website and the only reference I can find to the service pack is this http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsid=130 - and that picture is the cover of the version I have bought.

Is there anyway of launching Trainz from the Program folder rather than having to use the Launcher menu?

...cut...
Is there anyway of launching Trainz from the Program folder rather than having to use the Launcher menu?

There is, but then trainz will hang, rather than the launcher.

As for SP1, then it is in a very obscure place: http://forum2.justflight.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16771
There should be a download link in the first post.

EDIT: I get the problem! Repeat what I said above, but DON'T open CMP. Open trainz from the launcher and it should work.

Last edited:
I tried what you said, ie everything except launching CMP and it seems to have worked. The initial load was slow but subsequent ones were normal loading times. Incidently, the build I'm on is 2773 - not two '2's as I said before, but there is two 7s! Is this the latest build?

Anyway thanks for all your help!

Steve

The only place I have seen the build number is in the program itself which at the moment I cannot get into!

Can I find the build number anywhere else - say the file information of Trainz.exe?

Classic! For the benefit of anyone else stuck on this - open the 'properties' pages for Trainz.exe (not TRS2006.exe) and the version and build number are listed on the 'Details' tab.

Regds, BGIII

I tried what you said, ie everything except launching CMP and it seems to have worked. The initial load was slow but subsequent ones were normal loading times. Incidently, the build I'm on is 2773 - not two '2's as I said before, but there is two 7s! Is this the latest build?

Anyway thanks for all your help!

Steve

Unfortunately, this will need to be repeated every time you have used CMP. Installing the service pack will alleviate this slightly, but I suggest making a shortcut to the TRS2006 folder on your desktop to speed up the process.

By the way, restarting the PC may not be necessary.

Hi everyone,

I have asked this before but didnt get a full answer.

I purchased Trainz 2006 a couple of days ago and installed it on my PC running Vista. I have a list of files from this forum to change into Admin mode which I have done.

Question: Why will Trainz 2006 only run from the DVD?? I cannot run it if I take the DVD out and I cannot save files in surveyor such that I can return later to edit. The files are not there?

Files are in driver however.

Thanks

Terry

Question: Why will Trainz 2006 only run from the DVD?? I cannot run it if I take the DVD out and I cannot save files in surveyor such that I can return later to edit. The files are not there?

The version from "Just Trainz" has "copy protection" on the CD/DVD which requires the disc to be physically present in the drive (when using the Trainz programs). It also needs to be present when (if) the SP1 is added.

As far as I know this is the only version that has this requirement (I bought mine from Auran - I don't need the DVD every time).

Colin

Back