Convert 3DS to IM

PJAMA

PRR, Ponies, & Hyundais.
Is there a thing that converts 3ds, skp, and obj to im? i am just willing to know.

Is there a thing that converts 3ds, skp, and obj to im? i am just willing to know.

Yeah, 3DS Max will do it nicely by exporting them :p At least with .3ds (also GMax) and .obj files.

But I guess what you are after is a converter and as such, I do not think so.

With .skp one needs to convert it to something else like .3ds or .obj to use it, I guess. Search the forum for Sketchup, someone did import this format into GMax (or was it 3DS Max) to export it as an .im file to be used in TRS.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

GMax will import .3ds files (DO NOT select convert units option). You may have to re-apply the texturing. Then you can use the Trainz exporter to produce your .im file. Decapod has produced an MSTS exporter for Sketchup and mentioned perhaps doing a Trainz version but that was some time ago and we have heard nothing since

Last edited:
Decapod has produced an MSTS exporter for Sketchup and mentioned perhaps doing a Trainz version but that was some time ago and we have heard nothing since

No, John, he finally said no (- he told me that -). He had no intention to do it. But since Paul (Decapod) is a Forum user too, I better let him say the last word. ;)

Alberte :wave:

GMax will import .3ds files (DO NOT select convert units option). You may have to re-apply the texturing. Then you can use the Trainz exporter to produce your .im file. Decapod has produced an MSTS exporter for Sketchup and mentioned perhaps doing a Trainz version but that was some time ago and we have heard nothing since

how do i apply textures and export to im?

The good news - I did some work on the sketchup IM export recently,it is about 80% ready.
I've got a couple of other projects first, but it might be finished off within the next month.

To apply textures you need to use the Material Editor and Material Navigator to select what textures go on what objects, then you need to use 'UVW Map' and 'Unwrap UVW' modifiers to tile/map your textures correctly to each object. If you've used 3ds Max before this will come easy, if not then check out a tutorial on texturing in gmax. The ones at worldoftrainz.com might help.

To export to .im format, simply use File>Export in gmax as long as you are using it via the Trainz Asset Creation Studio.

Good Luck.
Jonny

The good news - I did some work on the sketchup IM export recently,it is about 80% ready.
I've got a couple of other projects first, but it might be finished off within the next month.

Great, Paul. For sure that will make the number of Trainz 3D creators increase. Thank you for your update.

BTW, I have just downloaded and installed your latest version of [SIZE=+2]Shape View 2.2.237 [10 Apr 2008][/SIZE]( http://members.uktrainsim.com/filel...7930&CUTHERE=32f2f53eba8a3950041e5537ae142a46 ), and finally I can use it on my Windows Vista. Thank you once more.

Alberte :wave:

You can go into GMax too, but you have to have the trainz asset creation studio plugin. It will allow you to convert it to a .pm or a .im. For google
sketchup models you should try Ruby TMIX.

Back