when does tc3 come out?

2nd quarter 2008 but realistically probably a day or two later. I think at the moment many of us would rather wait until it's finished and tested and that doesn't always go to a timetable.q

Cheerio John

Will it have everything TC 2 and 3 had?(Harlem Line, M7, P42?)

It's a standalone product, UK route (Settle & Carlisle) and assorted motive power and rolling stock. However I believe I read in the blurb for "Classics" that previous versions can be integrated.

I think we are some way off from seeing an integrated "Collector's Edition", as presumably there are more TC packs to come...?

When I installed TC2 it included the route from TC1. My understanding is that each version of TC will include all the routes from the previous versions.

BobbyB

Vern is right. TC3 does not include the content of TC1 & 2 but if you have those packages then it appears that there is an update path built into the software that means that installing TC3 will end up with one Trainz Classic installation containing the latest program code and the content from all three versions. Again, that is only if you have TC 1&2 installed.

This is just a guess on my part based upon the way that TC installed itself on my PC. This may change in the finished product.

William

This was subject of a debate some weeks (months?) ago when the difficulty route builders might face was discussed. Basically if the author has all three versions of TC and uses assets from all three, any end user will need to buy the equivalent version.

Auran were quite adamant & defiant there will be no means of obtaining the object files without buying the full package. As said at the time, potentially that means if there were eventuall six TC editions, even if a third party route only used a couple of objects from each you would need to spend 6 x £20 (or whatever the current price) to run that route. Nice little earner...always assuming of course your customers actually swallow it!

Although I didn't bother with TC1 & 2, didn't these ship in the same pack anyway?

This was subject of a debate some weeks (months?) ago when the difficulty route builders might face was discussed. Basically if the author has all three versions of TC and uses assets from all three, any end user will need to buy the equivalent version.

Auran were quite adamant & defiant there will be no means of obtaining the object files without buying the full package. As said at the time, potentially that means if there were eventuall six TC editions, even if a third party route only used a couple of objects from each you would need to spend 6 x £20 (or whatever the current price) to run that route. Nice little earner...always assuming of course your customers actually swallow it!

Although I didn't bother with TC1 & 2, didn't these ship in the same pack anyway?

TC 1 and 2 indeed came in one package. Your assumption about having to buy "all" packages regarding future routes is also true, unless you are willing to alter the custom made route and get rid of the dependencies you don't have.

Another similar problem exists with the release of a number of language related expansion packs, like the French and German ones. This will create more and bigger problems for route builders. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more builders will give up and that would be a real shame.

TC3 is actually the one TC instalment I am looking forward to. TC1&2 was for me a huge disappointment ( the routes ) and I am also afraid that TC3 might be the last one ever ( considering the current situation at Auran ).

What we see is that content has been fragmented over too many versions and now with the DLS not being regularly update I have noticed a number of creators looking for alternative providers as well. If more creators turn their backs on the DLS that will fragment the community yet a step further again.

I am not sure if this is what Auran wants to happen. Perhaps breaking the product into numerous language type products is actually a smart business plan? ( I mean not only different in language but also content )

The talk from Auran was that after a few Trainz Classics releases, these, plus possibly other content, and that inherited from TRS06 and earlier would become TRS09 (or whatever). This would bring things nicely back together again. Lets hope it happens...

And making the extra French & German items available to the rest of us at a reasonable price might be a good idea too...

Paul

Back