USA Pics

2021-04-20-232347.jpg

2021-04-20-232528.jpg

2021-04-20-232642.jpg

Flusi737,
I absolutely love your shots of the port. It is really a work of art! :cool:

Whenever I see it, I start trying to figure out switching moves. It looks so neat.

Heinrich505

That well and truly is a stunning scene, very well done given the tools and assets available.

-

Various scenes & locations-

Two PRR I1sa's hold back a string of coal cars on one of the Lizemores viaducts during the waning years of steam operations.
m2lMQZx.jpg

Nearly two decades later, SLRR took over the entire division and switched the power to electric. For a time, though, it was all diesel. Four SD40-2s lead in empties and beat up hoppers full of blasting powder past the Colcord Spur. Regulations on the placement of the cars are a bit... lax, at least at this point in time. An accident a few years later would change that shortly.
E4bZg48.jpg

Empties and blasting powder alike roll into Clear Creek on the deceptive track grades - the train is on mostly level ground despite the high grade appearance.
v6q8yJt.jpg

Back at the junction for the Colcord Spur, a work train enters the spur itself. Though traffic is expected to be little, the removal of the old PRR H21s and GLas showed the trackage to be in far worse condition than previously anticipated. The worst areas will be patched up for the time being, but until any traffic appears on the line, little else will be done.

iom4JE0.jpg

Later still and halfway across the country, SD60 #4513 is in charge of Y107-1, an intermodal train from Chicago to Indianapolis. At Pontiac, IL, the train leaves the Alton and joins the Champaign Sub. With the only slow order in Terre Haute, Y107-1 will be done before the sun even begins to set.

SQb08yB.jpg

The Milwaukee Road in Indiana, shortly before abandoning the entire Terre Haute division under the new ownership of GE. The right-of-way is collapsing fast and the traffic isn't significant enough to warrant continuing to operate the line.

Rp1Eidd.jpg

Cheers,
SM

I'm sorry to sound like "that guy", but is there any chance your masterpiece might be available to purchase some time? Or is it a private project?

Again. Stunning work.

Cheers,
Piere.

I'm sorry to sound like "that guy", but is there any chance your masterpiece might be available to purchase some time? Or is it a private project?

Again. Stunning work.

Cheers,
Piere.

Thanks everyone, it's a private project. This level of detail isn't playable, it's a slideshow even on a high end machine. Consider it a demo of what's possible, but not usable :hehe:

~ Felix ;)

Thanks everyone, it's a private project. This level of detail isn't playable, it's a slideshow even on a high end machine. Consider it a demo of what's possible, but not usable :hehe:

~ Felix ;)
Well, it's a slideshow that I really enjoy. ;)

Thanks again for sharing the pics, and I hope we can see some more in the future. It looks incredible.

Cheers,
Piere.

Historical route Wilkes-Barre, around 1950. Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Railroad.
lwvrr001.jpg

Originally I started this project with 90lb rail procedural track as 90lb rail is what was historically used, however it made my computer run hot so I changed back to my lower poly track. Here we see trolley #33 (a pweiser creation) leaving the Wilkes-Barre Passenger Station filled with passengers. I'm trying to find a way to make this station passenger interactive but I'm having a hard time due to the loop of the track.

lwvrr002.jpg

Here we see more of the L&WV rail yard. The tracks to the right of the scene are that of the Lehigh Valley's main line. We see a LV unit unload some cars onto an interchange track the LV had with the L&WV. The rest of the L&WV yard buildings consisted of meat dressing plants, Lehigh Beef Co, Wilson & Company and Swift & Company. All the tracks and building were modeled from Ed Miller's photos. Ed documented the last few decades of the L&WV's existence through many photos. If it wasn't for Ed's photos, this project could never have been started.

lwvrr003.jpg

Freight Motor #402 (another pweiser creation) is moving in some coal cars. A common sight along the line, however most freight was meat and produce. All industries in the yard have been set up to be interactive.

lwvrr004.jpg

A view from the Lehigh Beef dock. I made a small scale house that will be hitting the DLStation soon.

lwvrr005.jpg

Here we see #33 leaving the Wilkes-Barre rail yard and making a 90 degree turn as it heads toward the River Street stop. This is the next area to be worked on. As you can see I've got one more building that needed to finish in the yard. There is a triangle shaped building that isn't textured. This was a storage building for the Swift Company. The problem is I have no reference of what the building looked like. Trying to find pictures of "old Wilkes-Barre" isn't an easy task. This is the problem with trying to make a semi historically accurate route. I can understand why people choose to make fictional routes or modern routes instead.

Last edited:
Sorry have to ask is this for you BlackDiamond1964 or public release, would be so nice to have somewhere to run those cars, your doing a nice job

Tom

Last edited:
And great shots, lego207! Your route looks awesome!

Thank you!

--

When steam was king, the Colcurd Spur saw a lot more action. The mine closed in 1959 after a series of collapses, which dealt a major blow to the PRRs coal traffic on the southern extension of the division. Before then, though, things were better.

With a rear helper, trains would shove back out of the mine and spur onto the main.

92k036I.jpg

Once the lead engines cleared the spur switch, the train would shift gears and begin the arduous climb over the mountains at Ameagle and Dorothy.

ru9LsB3.jpg

Empties or loads, traffic up the hill is a struggle all the same. Alternative routing became available, but the time it took to reroute trains across neighboring lines was deemed not worth the trouble. Not to mention, there were other mines to work along the PRRs own line here.

K1Pajx9.jpg

With steam having been pushed to the wayside, diesels took control after a time. The WV division was one of the last areas to be dieselized as the company tended to look upon it as a stunted child, where it got hand-me-downs and upgrades later than most other lines. Coal continued moving after the Carbon and Colcord mines shut down, but not as much. Lashups became nightmarish combinations of whatever motors could be dredged up to climb the steep hills.

EU99GoO.jpg

Of course, in true PRR fashion, they would never admit to the routes failures, and would continue operating it at a loss until the formation of Penn Central.

HS4kzD2.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Back