USA Pics

579Ykvg.jpg

zpDf129.jpg

Crossing-the-Diamond..jpg
Amtrak #12 "The Badger " crosses the diamond east of Eau Claire on the C&NW Wisconsin District; while a Wisconsin Central freight waits. Picture shot in TANE.

TRS19_2020-07-27_12-00-26-649.png

Some LIRR action

Is that a proto LIRR route? A looooong time ago I lived on Sherwood Drive in Huntington Station and our house backed up to the LIRR tracks near Cold Spring Harbor station. This was back in '57 and '58. I was but a mere sprat then, knee high to a married grasshopper (first grader). My pals and I liked to hang over the fence in the back yard and wave to the crews (and the passengers). Sometimes
we would climb over the fence (split rail of course) go down the embankment (the track was in a cut there) and put pennies, sticks, and small rocks on the tracks (though my parents had told me not to lest I not pay sufficient attention and get run over. I remember the trains went through there pretty fast!).

Anyway, seeing this LIRR scene with a cut made me remember those days of long ago. One of the reasons I guess why I became a train junkie.

So if this is a proto scene where would it be on the LIRR?

One thing in particular I remember - I was waving to a train crew as they went by heading toward New York City (via Cold Spring Harbor station). They went by going at a good speed. Then way
down at the end of the cut I saw a big white cloud of something appear. I raced into the house and told mom "the train blew up!" She didn't believe me. However it turned out that a worker
driving a farm truck had been at the grade crossing at Rogues Path heading toward the farm (on the far side of the tracks from where we lived). The grade crossing was protected only by a bell in those days and the driver was deaf. He didn't look carefully both ways and didn't hear the bell. He got center punched. The white cloud I saw was the bags of fertilizer on the truck exploding. When my dad came home from work he took me down there. They were backing the train up to clear the grade crossing. I have a memory of a truck wrapped around the front of the locomotive. ALWAYS stop look and listen before crossing tracks (especially on a commuter railroad where the trains ran fast).

Anyway, memories from long ago...

Horace Fithers

Where did those assets in the trash pile come from?

All items are on the DLS. Seach derelict for the mixer in front, the rusty barrels. Bricks, hut and corrugated are other search words. Also try scrap and trash. The small stack of 2x4s in the lower right corner is a JR asset. Admittedly, I got lucky finding some assets, just by random searching. I think the dark pile of corrugated is actually called beams. But all came from the DLS.

Best,
smyers

Is that a proto LIRR route? A looooong time ago I lived on Sherwood Drive in Huntington Station and our house backed up to the LIRR tracks near Cold Spring Harbor station. This was back in '57 and '58. I was but a mere sprat then, knee high to a married grasshopper (first grader). My pals and I liked to hang over the fence in the back yard and wave to the crews (and the passengers). Sometimes
we would climb over the fence (split rail of course) go down the embankment (the track was in a cut there) and put pennies, sticks, and small rocks on the tracks (though my parents had told me not to lest I not pay sufficient attention and get run over. I remember the trains went through there pretty fast!).

Anyway, seeing this LIRR scene with a cut made me remember those days of long ago. One of the reasons I guess why I became a train junkie.

So if this is a proto scene where would it be on the LIRR?

One thing in particular I remember - I was waving to a train crew as they went by heading toward New York City (via Cold Spring Harbor station). They went by going at a good speed. Then way
down at the end of the cut I saw a big white cloud of something appear. I raced into the house and told mom "the train blew up!" She didn't believe me. However it turned out that a worker
driving a farm truck had been at the grade crossing at Rogues Path heading toward the farm (on the far side of the tracks from where we lived). The grade crossing was protected only by a bell in those days and the driver was deaf. He didn't look carefully both ways and didn't hear the bell. He got center punched. The white cloud I saw was the bags of fertilizer on the truck exploding. When my dad came home from work he took me down there. They were backing the train up to clear the grade crossing. I have a memory of a truck wrapped around the front of the locomotive. ALWAYS stop look and listen before crossing tracks (especially on a commuter railroad where the trains ran fast).

Anyway, memories from long ago...

Horace Fithers

The route is actually Tidewater Point Rail, found on Jointed Rail, though I have been searching far and wide for an LIRR Route

Mid-May, 1995. Three SD40-2s lug a host of grainers behind them, lazily meandering westbound towards Columbus, Ohio. Some brief maintenance is just wrapping up at the signal, nothing even noteworthy, but certainly of interest of the photographer parked roadside. The train rolls right on by, showing off its foreign power and colourful assortment of hoppers. By the time the end of the train comes by, the maintenance truck is gone and both road and rail alike are quiet. The radio scanner sat atop the roof of the photographer's car churns to life, where a disembodied, electronically-tuned male voice mechanically reads out, "S. L. R. R. Detector. Milepost. Three, Zero, Point, Six. No defects. Axle count: Two, Six, Eight. Be safe."

The static-filled transmission ends, leaving the continually dissipating sound of the train rolling ever further away. There'll be an eastbound train through here in about an hour, if the loose schedules assembled by railfans in the area is accurate, but the tracks will remain quiet until then. It's business as usual on the Silver Lines, just one more day in the life of the quiet Midwestern hauler.

BDmyEMb.jpg

Bonus shot:
nG1WSb7.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Back