USA Pics

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

March 14, 1991 - Dry Brook & Esopus Valley's RS-1 #946 is seen towing the new additions to the railroad's passenger train back to the shed where the restoration will begin. The new additions include a former Lehigh Valley Business Observation Car and a former Canadian National G16a Ten Wheeler.

Back during the WC days, WC train L3233 heads north outta Shawano, over the Wolf River and heads for the Little Rapids Paper Mill on the other side of town

Train FDGLA, the daily train that runs between Shops Yard and Gladstone, heads north outta Shawano, over the Wolf River, with a fresh crew...Shawano is used as a crew change point so crews based out of Gladstone would operate trains to Shawano, from where a Shawano based crew made a turn to Shops Yard, upon their return to Shawano, the now rested Gladstone crew took over for the return trip back to Gladstone

Quiet evening at the BF&E's small shops in Bedford, IN. The tracks were put in in 1981, but the building itself didn't appear until 1986. It's not large enough to store the railroads five active engines (or its sixth, non-operable, engine), but it gives the railroad the much needed shelter to do work in and store equipment. The shops are located just across I Street, on the north side of the tracks, keeping the shops in close proximity to the headquarters in the old limestone Milwaukee depot.

w3b6ySw.jpg

ex-N&W 1711 was bought non-operable from Norfolk Southern in June 1987 at barely scrap value. It hadn't even operated since 1985. Former Rock Island RS1 #735 had suddenly up and died in '86 and repairs were just not feasible - the old Alco was dead in the water, so a bigger engine was sought out to replace it and also boost power on the line. After arrival, the 1711's still lingering N&W markings had been patched over during the repairs between '87 and '88, and the new paintjob appeared five years later. All the repair and paint work had been done right here in the small shop building.

Fv4IcJB.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Hi Lego,

That track looks amazing, is it available anywhere?

Thank you!

-R

Hello - unfortunately the track is not available, it's the unreleased RTRAX from JR that the author kindly shared a copy of with me. Not sure if it's planned to be released or not - I'd put it at a solid maybe on that front.

--

A rivalry dating back to the beginnings of the monochrome railroad - all the way back to the CSLR days in 1860! - doesn't stop the Illinois Central and Silver Lines from sharing equipment with one another. Empty grainers are headed southwards towards Champaign on the subdivision that shares its name, where the SLRR will sort the cars out to be sent to their respective nearby elevators in the coming weeks. It'll also return IC 3126 to its proper owners in their own yard in town.

WORtgqn.jpg

At one time, the mainline between Pontiac and Terre Haute was double tracked like the Chicago to St. Louis line, but during the nationwide railroad cutbacks throughout the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the western track was removed and converted into single track. The sidings along the route are the original secondary mainline. These days, the railroad finds itself wanting that second track back during the peak grain season, but outside of that, single track suits them well enough. The IC has had similar problems over the years, but they too have found a balance.

UweseDK.jpg

Intermodal on the Champaign sub isn't quite as common as faster routes out of Chicago further east tends to handle the majority of the traffic, but shorter runs of stack trains do make regular appearances. Upgraded to Dash Two specifications in the 1990s during SLRR's great rebuilding program, the fleet of SD45s lingers on even today. Pairs and sometimes triplets are tasked with intermodal traffic in regions of the midwest as the engines hit their stride in the higher notches - fast engines, lighter trains, and little grades make them quite good at what they do.

W6f7cQb.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Back