USA Pics

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

At Cortland, IN, the BF&E #732 of ex-BN, nee-NP heritage, prepares to lead the ex-SLRR 2527 and ex-MILW 639 on a run back into Bedford.

VlIeYzX.jpg

The tracks in both towns have seen better days. 732 arrives at the old Milwaukee Road station platform in Bedford.

Hh9414I.jpg

Some hours after interchanging with the Silverlines on the ex-Monon trackage, the 2527 and 639 are found resting in front of the depot - the current company headquarters. The two of them, plus the 732, are in dire need of some reinforcements.

uV4Mhn9.jpg

After five years of service on the poor shortline, the old Rock Island RS1 coughed and died - permanently. The three EMDs were having a hard time on their own, and in a move of desperation, the railroad managed to snag a new piece of motive power that would not only replace the dead RS1, but also dramatically outclass the little engine. Picked up at a massive bargain, the ex-N&W SD45 #1711 is a monster on this fledgling shortline. It rarely operates east of Freetown, IN, as the tracks are in such poor condition that way - but the SD45 has made a major difference in the railroads power situation.

Acquired in 1987, repaired and put into service in Spring '88, the #1711 was the first locomotive to be repainted on the BF&E and is the only six-axle engine on the property. In late 1992, the railroad was acquired by an investment company - along with three other railroads of varying sizes and conditions - and the SD45 was given a new paint job to celebrate the occasion. It rolled out of the shop again in 1993 sporting blue and white that shone unlike anything else the railroad owned at that time. Here, 1711 leads the old power on the railroad into Bedford.

DSXGYYL.jpg

While far from pristine, the tracks in Norman and the surrounding area just west of town are in decent enough shape to let the SD45 stretch its legs a bit - which it does here with the GP9 and F7A leading a few cars from a local industry and grain behind those.

3l5M8I5.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Back