USA Pics

In the late 80s and early 90s, Morrison-Knudson rebuilt 50 SD40s, SD45s, and SD40Xs into SD40M-2s and leased them out across the country. UP and BN saw extensive use of these newly refurbed motors in their early years. Most would go to HLCX after a few years, and most of them would be exported or scrapped. Few remain today.

Here, we find MKCX 9046 in the middle of a BN grain headed eastbound near Beatrice, WA one summer morning in 1995. Loosely based on a real photo.
lytHsXS.jpg

y4PpKHc.jpg

For a 15 minute build, I don't think it's too bad of a first time attempt at this part of Washington.

Cheers,
SM

Lego207, are you working on an eastern Washington route? That would be Awesome! My old stomping grounds. I grew up in the Tri-Cities. Was really disappointed that TUME never released the Othello to Ellensburg stretch of his Milwaukee road route. I wanted to see if I could patch it together with Avery-Drexel by doing the channeled scablands of eastern Washington but have not been able to figure out getting the terrain map into Trainz. At least I haven't had time to figure it out yet....

Gonna keep teasin us with that thing huh Leo?

Route looks really good so far, you should head out west more often

Thank you! It's a fun little unit to throw around here and there.

Lego207, are you working on an eastern Washington route? That would be Awesome! My old stomping grounds. I grew up in the Tri-Cities. Was really disappointed that TUME never released the Othello to Ellensburg stretch of his Milwaukee road route. I wanted to see if I could patch it together with Avery-Drexel by doing the channeled scablands of eastern Washington but have not been able to figure out getting the terrain map into Trainz. At least I haven't had time to figure it out yet....

It could make for an interesting project for sure. The above shots were just a little diorama to try out a different scenery technique - hardly more than 1/3 of a baseboard in size as is. Might see if I can get a DEM of some portion of the electrification out that way and mess with it, but who knows. I've been invested heavily in my great big 200 miles of West Virginia lately.

Cheers for the kind words guys!

---

Now we go ahead and swap over clear across the country to, you guessed it, West Virginia.

Two GP30s, three GP9s, and even an F7B lead a loaded coal train northbound through Chloe, WV. The SLRR motive power situation is at an awkward transitional phase as electrification is only just now being built, and EMD has yet to deliver on its promise for development of new six axles. The shell of Substation #9 is all that hints towards the electrification so far, but the inside is still empty. July 1970.
s3qy6zJ.jpg

Just for the hell of it, bonus MPI time.

QyZnPAU.jpg

u0jCfKv.jpg

Cheers,
SM

Dyratrast
Awesome pics. I have Chessie through freights running on my copy of Coal Country along with the RP&P. Where did you get the Chessie dash 7?

Alan

Eric, love that urban shot. :)

Here we have mine run U41 approaching the flood loader at Glennis Coal, with an old caboose-turned-shoving platform.

GwoCtwN.jpg

Back