Why won't PC boot up?

big_b

My old PC which my Daughter uses refuses to boot.She had an Abit board with a 3700 Cpu ,ATI graphics card & WinXP home.Sometimes it would boot into windows but not stable all the time, but would nearly always boot in Safe Mode.Then it refused to boot at all.just a baank screen

I replaced her Power supply mobo ram & graphics card with my old ones all working when I took them out of my PC

She now has
abit kn8 Sli 939 mobo
550w psu
fx57 cpu
2 x 7800gt gpu
4gb ram

The damed thing still won't boot .All I get is " No signal "

As I've replace everything except for the DVD/rw floppy & Hdd could one of these be the problem.

I took it to a tech today who told me he couldn't get it going so I'd have to buy a new PC.

Any ideas dave

"No Signal" sounds like the video signal from the computer not reaching the monitor. Have you checked all connections from the computer and tried with another monitor? Also, try replacing the monitor cable.

Put the video cards in my pc /cable / monitor & its fine.

In my daughters pc no signal on my setup as well as an anolog monitor

Dave

When you switch the computer on it should beep once from its system board buzzer.

No beeps at all usually indicates a drastic problem, eg no power to the system board.

More than one beep indicates a POST (power-up self test) failure. The manual should list the possibilities.

Some computers (eg Dell desktops) have LED's on the back which indicate fault conditions.

HTH, John

If I'm right, then the only thing you didn't replace was the processor, and this sounds like a processor problem to me, so I suggest a replacement.

Hello

How many memory modules do you have in your PC?, try them one by one and then see if your PC boots up and if still no luck and yes try a replacement processor.

Regards

Ahsan:)
NAT Team

Last edited:
Good advice.

It's always a good plan to strip the thing down to the absolute bare essentials required to boot, then build up again from that.

John

Collins
The processor was changed from a 3700 to a fx57 along with the board

AHSAN
4 x 1gb sticks

As I said I replaced everything from my old PC which was running except for optical drive,HDD,floppy.It's got be beat.

Dave

Hello

Have you tried the memory modules one by one? and take the ide, optical drive and floppy drive cables of the motherboard, see if it boots up then.

Regards

I finally got the PC going.

Picked it up from a Computer tech ( this is the same guy who changed out this board with cpu & ram & installed my new AM2 setup ) today after I got him to look at it for me as I couldn't work out what was going on.He told me he tried another PSU,HDD,RAM etc but it was dead .No option but to buy another PC.

I couldn't understand why it wouldn't run as it was working fine when I upgraded.I followed all the suggestions you guys gave me but still no good.Then I decided to go through the manual set by step as though everything was new. This was a first for me in unknown territory.

This is what I found I'm not accusing anyone but

1 of the retaining clips on one of the pcie slots was missing & the card was loose ( I know 100% the clip was there before taking it to the shop)

The wires on the front panel had been pulled & one came out of the reset switch ( have my suspicions about this being done today)

The CCMOS1 jumper was missing & some of the wake UP header jumpers weren't in their default positions. ( have my suspicions about this being done when I upgraded as I told him I would use this board to upgrade my other PC at a later date)I think he thought I would leave the old board cpu & 4gb of ram with him as he said they would be of no use to me after he did the upgrade & he'd get rid of them for me

Dave.

big B,
by the look of your post you have a very suspicious nature, fancy thinking a computer chappy would deliberately do such a thing to drum up business.
If possible do it yourself, it's cheaper and you gain a bit of knowledge.
Recommend the bloke to people you don't like, eventually they'll stop bothering you. Works for me, plus I get a little satisfaction out of it.
I hope your problems are now sorted.

You did the right thing simply by taking it one step at a time from the beginning, which is what most tech "blokes" fail to do.

Hello

Yeah that Tech Guy must be useless and I glad you done the step by step thing and hopefully the Tech Guy can learn from you.

Regards

NAT Team

Last edited:
Back