FYI: How I fixed my video card

SuperFudd

My system was acting up today. After it had been on awhile the display, even on desktop, would get "garbled". In short order I concluded it was the video card. I did have it overclocked a bit so I went back to defaults including 60Hz and 600x800 or so. Still bad. Yes the GPU fan was working. System voltages were good. Going to safe mode did not help. All connections were tight. An external fan with side cover off didn't help.
The card (see below) is installed fan side down so the "back" of the board is up. There was some dust on it, particularly around the output connector. I dusted it with a makeup powder brush, at least that is what my wife calls it. That fixed it.:cool:

Glad it worked - I've got one of those "heat pipe" fanless cards - works well, but taks up a bit more room in the case.

As a matter of interest, what colour/make of "blusher" powder did you use on the fan?:)

Colin

Canned air actually depends. It can clean a keyboard but it is not good for internals. It just blows the dust around inside. I would use some type of small brush for parts like fans/heat sinks and a small vacuum head for the bottom interior and case exterior.

using brushes is highly risky for electronics.
Brush heads, toothbrushes, etc. create static electricity. Using them on electronics, not so good.

Using an air compressor or canned air is the best option, just have a vacuum close by to suck up the stirred dust and you're good to go.

I can't tell you how many parts I've replaced from computers (not my own) because someone thought they could clean the dust with a bristle attachment.

My cleaner

I use an air compressor (huge 25 ft. cubic air space) to clean out my computer about every month or so...just a tip, take your computer out into a big empty space, like your garage to do the cleaning, and resettling dust is not a problem!

That is wierd that a few particles of dust could cause such a problem!! Glad to hear you got it fixed!

using brushes is highly risky for electronics.
Brush heads, toothbrushes, etc. create static electricity. Using them on electronics, not so good.

Using an air compressor or canned air is the best option, just have a vacuum close by to suck up the stirred dust and you're good to go.

I can't tell you how many parts I've replaced from computers (not my own) because someone thought they could clean the dust with a bristle attachment.

Try that with the computer on!:eek: :hehe: :p

My old one was full of dust. Maybe thats why it lagged....no worries now though. A capcitor blew in my video card. Seriously. Then one in my moniter went. I have repaired it and it works great. Just dont use it, its a spare.:eek:

Cheers,
Adam

Back