NVIDIA 7600 and Trainz

JimDep

I picked up a NVIDIA 7600 GS APG 512mg card today
on clearance from Circuit City. I'll install it tomorrow.
Question: Does anyone else use this card, and if so what driver
works well with it?

Thanks

USE PROVIDED DRIVER! CRITCAL!

If it doesn't come with it's own driver, then I'd be very surprised. In the unlikely event that it doesn't, then it is CRITICAL that you download and use the correct driver for the card from the manufacturer's website, as any other driver may damage the card and/or the computer.

I've got an AGP XFX 7600GT with 256MB. That works extremely well with all but the most demanding of layouts.

I'd offer the same advice regarding drivers and the video board settings utility - do whatever the manufacturer tells you to do. As advised by XFX I use nVidia Control Panel to adjust the settings and nVidia Monitor to check the temperature.

HTH, John

Also...

Don't run with scissors, brush after every meal and never tug on Superman's cape....

Come on guys...

I have this same exact card and it is seriously underclocked. All GS series cards are so that you will buy the more expensive GT or GTX versions.

I use the drivers from ngohq.com. Work great for me and several others here in the forums. They won't melt down your PC and get AlGore on your back for causing global warming.

William

" and get AlGore on your back for causing global warming."

Thanks for the laugh!
I'll check out ngohq.com.

It did come with it's own driver, but sometimes certain drivers work better
with different software. I liked using the Nvidia "conusmer" 3D stereo drivers
with my old card; Nvidia 6800 128mg. It is a good card, but I think the 128mg was a graphic bottleneck, whereas with the new card my CPU is probably the new bottleneck.

I can't get any drivers to work right with the new card.
What specific drivers are working for you, and where are they located?
Thanks

Even the driver that came on the CD is'nt working right, even though systems
manager says the device is working properly. Trainz 2006 is running very slow.

I just had the Nvidia site do an auto- recommended driver search and it came
up with another one that came out on Dec.19, 2007. I'll see if I have any better luck and let you know.

Sorry for the double post.

Even the driver that came on the CD is'nt working right, even though systems
manager says the device is working properly. Trainz 2006 is running very slow.

I just had the Nvidia site do an auto- recommended driver search and it came
up with another one that came out on Dec.19, 2007. I'll see if I have any better luck and let you know.

Lorin, thanks for the Guru3d link. I forgot about that site.

No change. It's still running very slow.

Did anyone have to change their Trainz settings when updating
the video card?

Can you tell me your system specs, and don't be afraid to use beta drivers as long as people are having good luck with them @guru3d, just make sure it's compatable with your GPU and operating system. I use forceware beta 173.65 on my 8800gt ssc 640mb card and have found it to be the best for my setup.

In the Nvidia control panel are you selecting (let the application decide), this set's everything to default. Also anytime you remove you vid driver, reboot in safe mode(F8) at boot screen and run drivecleaner pro or similar program, also a registry sweep with ccleaner(available at filehippo) helps to freshen things up before you install a new driver. Just use the programs backup feature first just incase.

The last thing I can recommend is to make sure your computer is clean from spyware, as this can hamper performance of even the fastest machines.
->Oh and your computer won't blow up the house, most included drivers are already old as sticks by the time you get it home<-

Hope this helps:)

Lorin

Last edited:
What was your previous video board? Are we sure the new one is more powerful?

Got the video board's power cable plugged in?

Got the AGP aperture set correctly in the BIOS?

Unless you're an expert in the black art of overclocking, I'd get it working with the standard driver first. Have you followed the new board's driver installation instructions? (Apologies if you are an expert, obviously.)

AFAIK you shouldn't need to make any changes in Trainz.

John

That system and card should run trainz pretty well, it will have trouble with some routes though, mainly if your running with shadows and forcing Anti-Aliasing at higher [SIZE=-1]Resolution.

Lorin
[/SIZE]

The previous card is an AGP GeForce 6800 128mb. It worked fine, I just thought boosting the on board RAM from 128 to 512mb made sense.
I shouldn't have to do anything with the BIOS being they are both AGP.
Yes, it is plugged in to the power supply. My previous card had to be plugged in too. That is an easy thing to forget.

I just noticed that the video files I loaded on the hard drive from my camcorder are jumbled as well.
Could this be all caused by a driver problem?

I don't have any registry cleaning software, and I'm not familiar with the process other than wishing I knew how to do it. I've upgraded Nvidia cards before, though without having to go through that.

Last edited:
If you think all video is effected, might I recommend a post over at nvidia, or guru3d forums, as this sounds like they might be able to help better.

Registry cleaning isn't always required, only if your like me and swap out drivers and software daily:hehe:

Hope you find a solution(May be a bad card, pull it out and pop it back in, is the cooling fan spinning up?)

Lorin

There is no cooling fan on this card. I popped it out, plugged it back in,
tried a different driver etc. It's all crap.
I think I'm going to put the old card back in, hopefully find the driver that was working before and take this thing back.
Thanks for your help.

Sounds like the thing to do, I have had a psu and a video card DOA, nothing worst than getting all exited then have a new part flop, or smelling burning plastic on boot up!:eek:

Regards,

Lorin

I'm still trying to get the old card working right. I thought I had a backup
copy of the old driver and now I can't remember what it was.
Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow and take the new one back.
This has not been a good day.

BTW, the new card does have a fan, it is buried in the heat sink.

Back