Trainz Classic 3 Questions

lightrail

Okay - first of all, I'm back - it's been a long time since I've been ont he forums - I kinda got out of train simming and into flight simming. I've crashed enough planes now and feel ready to get back into route building.

Questions on Trainz Classic, that I can't seem to find the answers to:

1. Will Trainz Classic 3 take advantage of Intel duo core 2 processors?

2. When can I place an order for TC3 at the on-line shop? I see Trainz Classic at the shop, but i don't know which edition.

3. I assume I can import TRS2006 routes and models into TC3?

4. I'm excited to see the signalling changes - finally recognise home and distant signals - question is, will Allister see them too.

5. Is the AI still pathing based on junction to junction, or will it be signal to signal - as is the normal practice on a signalled routes?

6. Will the signalling be set by path - that is, can the signal see beyond one junction to the next signal to determine state?

Looking forward to TC3 - nice choice of route for it - should be a winner.

Too bad re: core duo 2 no support - so Trainz Classic will take advantage of half my core processor, and my graphic card will be twiddling its thumbs waiting for the core.

Given that core duo 2 is not exactly brand new technology - this surprises and disappoints me

Guess I'll need to overclock more...

Too bad re: core duo 2 no support - so Trainz Classic will take advantage of half my core processor, and my graphic card will be twiddling its thumbs waiting for the core.

Given that core duo 2 is not exactly brand new technology - this surprises and disappoints me

Guess I'll need to overclock more...

While 2 cores may have been out for a while it a different matter when it comes to software. There are still not that many software programs and games that can take advantage of them and its going to take a while before that will change as its not necessarily a easy thing to do and does depend upon how the program is written and what it needs to do otherwise there may be limited benefit.

Microsoft were able to add it to FSX but only to load the scenery ( and mainly on startup ) but I am sure that it was planned for in the original design so it made it easier to add. I am pretty sure that doing something like that for Trainz would be no easy task assuming you even had someone who knew how to do it ( which is why a lot of programs still mainly use one core ).

John

Last edited:
While 2 cores may have been out for a while it a different matter when it comes to software. There are still not that many software programs and games that can take advantage of them and its going to take a while before that will change as its not necessarily a easy thing to do and does depend upon how the program is written and what it needs to do otherwise there may be limited benefit.

Microsoft were able to add it to FSX but only to load the scenery ( and mainly on startup ) but I am sure that it was planned for in the original design so it made it easier to add. I am pretty sure that doing something like that for Trainz would be no easy task assuming you even had someone who knew how to do it ( which is why a lot of programs still mainly use one core ).

John

Makes sense.

While I have your attention - I just loaded TRS2006 clean from DVD (purchased from Auran via the shop). Then I applied SP1 patch. The patch reported a missing file and said it would ignore it. After the patch, the program was corrupt - I had no trains in driver, the camera was off the world somewhere - or underneath it. I can't seem to get it to run.

Any ideas?

PS - the program is running nice and quick on my machine - so the duo core may not be an issue - but I haven't succeeded in loading a consist to run yet. Looking like an uninstall.

David

lightrail,

If my memory serves me, you most likely have a corrupt patch install.
It should not have shown the "file not found, ignore" message .
Did you receive the patch from Auran as a DVD/CD also ?
Did you copy the patch to your HD and install from there ?

The install of TRS2006 and the patch install instructions must be followed exactly. They are found in the TRS2006 section of the Forum, at the top in "FAQ, Tips, & Tweaks".

HTH---DLR

lightrail,

If my memory serves me, you most likely have a corrupt patch install.
It should not have shown the "file not found, ignore" message .
Did you receive the patch from Auran as a DVD/CD also ?
Did you copy the patch to your HD and install from there ?

The install of TRS2006 and the patch install instructions must be followed exactly. They are found in the TRS2006 section of the Forum, at the top in "FAQ, Tips, & Tweaks".

HTH---DLR

The patch was downloaded from Auran - Server 2 - size on disk 638mb

I've loaded it twice on a clean install - same result. TRS2006 worked before the patch.

Maybe I need to re download the patch - but I hate to have to reinstall again - it takes almost an hour for the patch to run.

The error file is "assets.tdx" - says "old file not found" - "file with same name found but ignored".

TRS2006 was purchased from Auran - not retail and checked the build - it matches the build the patch was designed for

Ohhh - I ran the patch from the desktop, but the install is on another hard drive - is this a problem?

Last edited:
Yes, you should run the patch from the same drive as your install. I believe that's why there's the error with the assets.tdx.
Norm

The ones coming from Auran at the moment are already patched I understand, could be a factor.

Mike.

The ones coming from Auran at the moment are already patched I understand, could be a factor.

Mike.

Thanks all - I'll move the patch to the same drive and do another run on a new clean install of TRS2006.

The version of TRS2006 I have is not new, I got it when TRS2006 first came out - so it will need the patch. I rebuilt the computer and never got round to putting TRS back on until now.

David

Thanks all - I'll move the patch to the same drive and do another run on a new clean install of TRS2006.

The version of TRS2006 I have is not new, I got it when TRS2006 first came out - so it will need the patch. I rebuilt the computer and never got round to putting TRS back on until now.

David

Solved. Thanks everybody. BTW, TRS2006 runs nice and smooth on my system - Intel duo core 2 E2160 processor, Geforce 8800, 1gig RAM. Now for Trainz Classic

Back