TRS2006 forces computer reset (Windows Blue Screen)

ChiliPepperD

I'm a new user. I installed TRS 2006 in late November. It ran OK, but when I exited, I got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSD). Repeated 3 times - same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled the program, making sure all other programs (mail, web, Office, instant messengers, etc.) were shut down. Also shut down Avast anti-virus. Re-installed again - same issue.

I'm running Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200 w/2GB RAM and 300 GB hard drive. NVidia GEForce 7600 video (256 Mb), Samsung SyncMaster 940 LCD Monitor; Windows XP Pro SP2, Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 1.5.0.8; DirectX 9.0c. System built 8/06 - all drivers are current from that date or later.
Please help - I want to operate the trainz, but don't want to have to reboot every time I exit.
Update: Installed latest NVidia driver 6.14.10.9371. Also installed patch (SP 1 to upadte build to 3092) after another clean install. No help.
I'm about ready to give up. Any suggestions.

Thanx
Chili

Chili,
I had problems at first also. The program would crash, BSD, hardly able to ever use CMP or the DLS. I had also download the patch and done a clean install, but the problems continued until I read one of the posts on this forum. I can't remember whose, but his instructions were to save all your custom content to another folder on your hard drive. Then entirely uninstall Trainz and all content. Go to Explorer to make sure all folders are gone. Turn off everything you possibly can, anti-virus, firewalls, etc. Then do a fresh install of the program, but don't open it. Install the patch. I don't know if you've got a lot of custom content, but if you don't then you should be good to go. When I run Trainz, I keep all the background programs off, and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems since. Even the CMP and DLS are fine. Also, the computer I'm running it on isn't quite as powerful as yours.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Thanks for the fast response.
Actually, I hadn't done anything with the program except to run through one of the earlier tutorials (and de-railed in the process), so there was no custom content to be saved. The only thing in the TRS2006 folder is the patch executable that I downloaded.
The other possibility I'll look into is to slow down the hardware acceleration on my video card as I think there's a video reference when I got the BSD. I know of some other programs that have had issues with NVidia drivers.

Chili

Chili you are not by any chance running a SLI or other mobo using Nvidea chipset drivers?? I had huge problems with a rig not unlike yours with an Athalon 64 DC on a SLI mobo - numerous BSOD crashes caused by an Nvidea DLL. Turned out the DLL causing the problems was associated with a chipset driver - nothing to do with the vid card.

Andy :)

Chili you are not by any chance running a SLI or other mobo using Nvidea chipset drivers?? I had huge problems with a rig not unlike yours with an Athalon 64 DC on a SLI mobo - numerous BSOD crashes caused by an Nvidea DLL. Turned out the DLL causing the problems was associated with a chipset driver - nothing to do with the vid card.

I run 2 MSI GeForce 7600 256MB Ram cards in SLI with no problems
also AMD Duel core 3800 on Gigabyte Mother board K8 Triton
2 MB Kingstone Ram and have no problems here

The only time I have had the Blue screen in TRS2006 is if for some reason I have changed the resulotion on my LCD Monitor, TRS will only run if it is set at the default for the monitor, maybe worth checking :cool:

you seem to have the same problem as me I had to revert graphics drivers to an earlier release as the latest nvidia drivers caused massive blue screen problems, it also effected alot of other games in the same way.

This problem can be daunting to say the least. I had a series of BSODs, crashes to the desktop after running about an hour, and numerous resets that got me to a point of complete frustration with the program.

This turned out to be a bad memory stick! I found this out after testing drivers, replacing what I thought was a bad power supply, adding extra fans, etc.

I recommend running memtest86 on your system. My test found a bad dimm, which I replaced under warranty. Memtest86 can be found at: http://www.memtest86.com/

All of this by the way, happened on a non-SLI system with an NVidia-7800 GT video card.

John

Last edited:

Was there an updated DLL that fixed the issue?
Also, to reference JCitron's suggestion, we've run memory tests (don't recall which program it is) and everything came up clean. Although I've had other BSD's in the past (quite frustrating), none recently except while exiting TRS2006. Almost like the machine is still "burning in".

Chili

In my case, I got TRS06 to run without crashing upon exit. My problem is that I cannot get TRS04 to run without BSD under the same conditions.

At first, I thought it was because the programs were in another harddrive partition, or there was a file error or software conflict. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm running an nvidia 7950 GT 512MB card built by EVGA.

Was there an updated DLL that fixed the issue?
Chili

Nope - fixed it with a drastic rebuild. Canned both the SLI mobo and the Athalon chip. Replaced with a Intel E6300 2core on a ASUS P5B-E mobo. The rebuild has been bombproof. Most of the cost was under warranty, though it involved a slight upgrade and small cost. We tested/replaced/reinstalled literally everything (hardware and software) in the box over a couple of months and rebuilt in desperation. But it worked.

Back