Does Trainz Have a Future?

chrisracer8903

Michigan Trainz
I know that Auran shutting down is too bad and they say Trainz will still be going on, but will the DLS be still running and will the current group be making new "TRSs" to compete with Rail Simulator and MSTS 2? -Chris

It's just I don't want the DLS to get shut down and loose all that content forever! Then I need to save all my routes and assets on CDs. -Chris

Yes - if enough of us buy TC3. I don't see Auran throwing in the towel with that 90% complete. The feature and bugfix list look quite promising, and the route will almost certainly be superb (same team as Hawes Junction from TRS06).

Paul

Yes trainz does have a future , Buy TC3 , keep downloading, creating and using trainz. tell people how much fun trainz is. Trainz is here to stay...

It's just I don't want the DLS to get shut down and loose all that content forever! Then I need to save all my routes and assets on CDs. -Chris

I wouldn't want all that content to be "loose" either......

Chris, you should be saving all your routes and assets on CD anyway. If you don't want to use Cd's, then use another storage media. If you want insurance that your content will remain available to the community, then upload it somewhere else, like your own web space, or the TPR Download Depot.

Yes, Auran might fold up like a cheap card table whether we buy their new releases or not! The DLS may dissolve like an Alka Seltzer, but the content will remain, and could remain available if people take steps now.

Somehow your post strikes me as hysteria, you've been around long enough to not be going "Chicken Little" on us now! C'mon man, get a hold of yourself!

Ed

I know that Auran shutting down is too bad and they say Trainz will still be going on, but will the DLS be still running and will the current group be making new "TRSs" to compete with Rail Simulator and MSTS 2? -Chris

Worse case scenerio and Auran goes under, you still have the software, there is still a lot of content, we still have TPR and other web sites to upload and download content. No I don't think it is the end of the world for Trainz. MSTS still manages to have a group of people making content, uploading and downloading and work in different forums. Some of their sites are a bit expensive compared to the DLS and have less content but it still works.

Realistically Auran and Trainz will be around for a while. Buy TC3, buy a FCT and it will be around even longer.

Cheerio John

It's a terrible thing to "loose" one's content. Furr sherr.

Perhaps some of this hysteria is being brought on by Cabin Fever. Those of us living in the cold climes tend to fall into various stages of late winter blues and mild depression. Add to that the thought that Auran might go belly up can bring on fears of spending next winter indoors with no TRS.

Fret not! As long as we keep our CD's of TRS, Trainz will never die. As it exists now, it's the best train sim ever, and from what we've seen coming from the competition, it will remain the best for some time, even if no more changes are made.

If you're concerned about the items on the DLS, I wouldn't be. There already are thousands of items on the DLS that 90% of us will never use. There already are hundreds, perhaps more items on private sites, and more folks are moving their creations to private sites rather than the DLS.

We have a long way to go before we become alarmed. And once we get outside in the warm sun and soak up some of that vitamin D, prospects will look much more pleasant.

Trust me. I'm with the government.:D

Solution. Download EVERYTHING from the Download Station via FTP NOW and store it on as many DVD +/-R disks as required. It will probably take up several packs of 50-100 4.5 Gigabyte DVD's to hold the entire content, but at least you will be secure in the knowledge that your content is safe and secure and accessible at all times. Another added benefit of this plan is that we will no longer be plagued by these doom and gloom messages about the ultimate demise of Auran and the loss of a fine corporation.

... that we will no longer be plagued by these doom and gloom messages about the ultimate demise of Auran and the loss of a fine corporation.

Finally you understood what we oldtimers meant, Casy. Welcome to reality. Some of your early previous freshman messages were somewhat doomy gloomy. ;)

Take care,

Alberte :wave:

since i have not been able to download since i purchased my FCT, could somebody sugest a site to download N.A. content?

I've actually download a lot via the FTP and it won't take up that much room. I have it all down until around March 2007 (excluding the layouts, which i haven't downloaded) and it only comes to 30.8 Gb so probably will only take about 15 dvd's for the entire DLS.

Ian

Only issues I currently have:
1 - Auran's content has licenses like anyone else's so as I understand it if I reskin a PaintShed locomotive for example, I have to upload to DLS and nowhere else. Unless someone knows something else, I think that is no good, new content creators will start somewhere and not all default content stinks and others can be improved but without any change I get cut off from doing anything with any of it. I asked on TPR's forum if Downlaod Depot had some arrangement for this but didn't get an answer.
2 - I was able to format and save to CDs fine on my previous system. I get my new one and suddenly all my previous CDs don't work on it. So I have to figure something else out.:(

I am gobsmacked that YOU would ever write such a thread young Christopher......:hehe: Sheeeeeeeesh man, don't panic....

Auran is NOT going anywhere at present, especially with fabulous route creators such as your goodself, I hope it is still around for many years in the future. So keep the layouts coming and let us download them and together ( along with many thousands of others ) we will keep Auran well afloat and keep the DLS wheels turning.....You are ( hopefully ) one of our many future major TRS contributors Chris, just remember that.....
Who the hell are M$T$ and ( who's the other company ) anyway ???? :p

Cheerz. ex.

Just tried a demo of MSTS. Are you kidding me???:D It's hardly interesting. I think Trainz isn't going anywhere for some time in the future.

What I ment before is that I have my routes with all that content from the DLS. I would host my routes at RRmods with a CDP with all the content, but I don't want the content creators to be angry! -Chris

Back