Some questions

Ok i just purchased both microsoft train simulator 2004, and 2006. I want to download a couple NYCTA subway cars. Now thats not my problem. My question is if i download these, do i get the cabin view (cockpit). That was question no. 1, heres no. 2:If i download these NYCTA subway cars, where can i get routes for them. Like in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPtsPtGMPXg. Please help me. I really wan't to start driving my R-46.

Hi Eric,

There is (I believe) a forum for MSTS (somewhere on the net - others may have this information). You've posted on the Auran Trainz site, so you'll find a slow (ish ) response... (it's a competitor....)

That said, Welcome! - do consider a copy of Traiz Simulator (2006 ) as well.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks for replying. I didn't notice this was a Auran forum only. Well mabye theres something else you can answer for me.

Question: Would you be able to list all the trainz simulators that ever came out. I already know of:

Trainz railroad simulator 2004
Trainz railroad simulator 2006
Trainz Classics
Trainz driver (heard this one was pretty bad)
Edit: Trainz Railways

I'm not sure if these are all of them but yeah. So if there not, please just list the ones I'm missing. Thank's.

P.S.-As you can see I'm kind of a train fanatic. lol, aren't we all?

Edit: Another question

Whats the difference between Trainz Railways and trainz Railroads?

Last edited:
Ok i just purchased both microsoft train simulator 2004, and 2006. I want to download a couple NYCTA subway cars. Now thats not my problem. My question is if i download these, do i get the cabin view (cockpit). That was question no. 1, heres no. 2:If i download these NYCTA subway cars, where can i get routes for them. Like in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPtsPtGMPXg. Please help me. I really wan't to start driving my R-46.
Colin may be right but FWIW I'm going to guess the OP's actually got Trainz.

Most powered rolling stock for Trainz does include a cab, but not all. Unless there's a mention in the description before you download it there's no way to tell.

An additional complication which often arises is that rolling stock needs dependencies, rolling stock parts such as bogies (called trucks in US English), enginespecs, enginesounds, hornsounds, etc. Sometimes obtaining the dependencies is easy, sometimes it can be a nightmare. As a newcomer, ask for help if you need it.

All rolling stock can run on all layouts. However, running conventional standard gauge rolling stock on narrow gauge tracks, monorail beams or maglev guideways will obviously not look realistic.

You can create your own layouts in the Surveyor mode of Trainz. Creating a simple track for testing purposes is very easy. Creating a realistic layout is difficult and time-consuming and may take years.

Layouts and all other types of assets for Trainz can be downloaded from Auran's DLS (download station) and various fansites. On the fansites, some material is freeware, some is payware.

In TRS2004, scenarios (scripted activities) and driver sessions use layouts and rolling stock. TRS2006 does not have the inherent facilities to run or create scenarios, only driver sessions.

Layouts have dependencies too, lots of them - track, ground textures, buildings, signals, vegetation and many more.

Hope this is helpful. If you have got Trainz, keep asking questions if you need to because it's a complicated program to get to grips with especially at first.

And if you've actually got MSTS, then as Colin suggests you'd probably be far better asking for help on an MSTS-related forum.

John

I just saw your second post.

If you've got either TRS2004 or TRS2006 then IMHO I wouldn't waste time exploring any other version of Trainz. Either of those will keep you more than fully occupied for many years :)

But:
First there was Trainz, sometimes called Community Edition.
Then came UTC, Ultimate Trainz Collection.
Next was TRS2004, now upgraded to SP4.
Then came TRS2006, now upgraded to SP1.
Trainz Driver is a severely cut-down cheap demo version of TRS2006, best ignored.
TRS2007 and TRS2008 are versions of TRS2006 upgraded to SP1 and sold in France and Germany.
Trainz Routes are additional layouts for TRS2006 (no program, just routes).
Trainz Classics, called Trainz Railwayz in the USA and Trainz Railways in the UK, is the latest version. It lacks many of the assets which were built-in with TRS2004 and TRS2006. On the other hand, some people find it runs smoother. Trainz Railwayz in the USA includes TRS2006 and experts can move the built-in assets from TRS2006 across to Trainz Classics.

A search on this forum will quickly discover numerous comments regarding the relative merits of the various versions of Trainz. It's a hot topic for debate!

John

Wow very helpful. Thanks for that. But I'm sorry i still have more questions. Here they go. :D

1:Whats the difference between MSTS and trainz simulator?
2:Does the Surveyor mode come included with trainz 2004?
3:Whats better MSTS or trainz simulator?
4:Can you please give me Links to where i can buy all the trainz simulators?

Thanks so much.

1:Whats the difference between MSTS and trainz simulator?
Trainz is generally considered far superior to the original MSTS. But there's a new MSTS currently being developed and nobody knows yet how that will compare.
2 Does the Surveyor mode come included with trainz 2004?
Yes. And in TRS2006 and Trainz Classics.
3:Whats better MSTS or trainz simulator?
:) You wanna start World War Three? :)
4:Can you please give me Links to where i can buy all the trainz simulators?
Depends which country you're in. Try the usual online Internet retailers.

For general trainsim info, try Wikipedia.

John

Ok last question(s), promise:

1:does train classics that is sold on auran for $27.00 come with the harlem line route?

2:when downloading stuff off download station what does it mean by "serial number required"?

Last edited:
1:does train classics that is sold on auran for $27.00 come with the harlem line route?
Yes, but opinions seem to differ on how good this is. Do a search here to see what people say about it before deciding.
2:when downloading stuff off download station what does it mean by "serial number required"?
Each copy of Trainz has a unique serial number. That number must be registered on this web site in order to gain access to DLS. Each serial number can only be registered once, so don't buy a secondhand/used copy of Trainz.

John

Trainz is generally considered far superior to the original MSTS. But there's a new MSTS currently being developed and nobody knows yet how that will compare.
Yes. And in TRS2006 and Trainz Classics.
:) You wanna start World War Three? :)
Depends which country you're in. Try the usual online Internet retailers.

For general trainsim info, try Wikipedia.

John

Trainz and MSTS are two different animals, they may look similar but are not the same. It's a matter of personal preference.
I prefer Trainz because it contains more substance and interactivity.

For starters there is no such animal as MSTS 2004 or MSTS 2006. The only issue of MSTS was in 2002 developed by KUJU for Microsoft. As stated there is a new version of MSTS being developed wholly by Microsoft coming out around the end of the year at last report.

As far as which is best is a matter of opinion and I lean toward MSTS for driving because I don't care for the animation in Trainz and in my opinion the MSTS graphics are far superior and more realistic than Trainz.

For creating routes Trainz is extremely easy compared to the MSTS Route Editor which has a steep learning curve. Surveyor is the only part of Trainz that holds my interest and I spend hours playing around with my layout.

Content for MSTS is much easier to find on the download site (library) because content is labeled (named) correctly and content and routes are more complete. The Library (download site) is rarely if ever down as it is in Trainz. In fact Microsoft does not have a hand in controlling or operation of the the MSTS site as it is operated by individuals not associated with Microsoft and thereby has less restrictions.

For more information and help with MSTS go here:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbts/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Last edited:
Eric,
Reading this thread, I'm confused, and I'm guessing maybe you are, too. You said you'd purchased MicroSoft Train Simulator 2004 and 2006. Are the products you're refering to Auran's Trainz Simulator TRS2004 and TRS2006? If so, you ARE in the right place!!! The YouTube video clip you referenced is definitely a Trainz event and not MSTS.

If we can clarify what software you actually have, we can give ya TONS more info to get you started. So, please don't be shy and get back on the forums here. Don't even think about trying to limit your questions, cuz you'll have lots of them. We all do. Thats why we're all here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bill

I have to agree with Bill, that's definitely a Trainz video and not MSTS. We're all here to help you, so ask away.
Mike

There are different versions of Trainz Classics,1&2 are out now,and have Amercian content included.TC3 is coming out soon,with UK content.:)

Back