Computer Upgrade for . . . DUMMIES

edion2

I'm just an average computer user . . . like many of us. I have an average newer computer.

Dell desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.68Mhz - 2 Gig ram - ATI Radeon X1400 card - 100 Gig HD. An average off the shelf unit.

To upgrade for better Trainz performance . . . what first ??

My guess is in the order of priority is :

#1 Video Card with 512M memory or more (I'm thinking GeForce 8800GTX)

#2 RAM - Is more the better ? OR if you get a video card with lots of memory, then the system RAM amount of 2 Gig is enough ?

#3 Faster CPU - Upgrading for another CPU like up to 2.4Mhz or more that is compatible with existing Mother Board . . . will that make a noticable difference ? Will Trainz take advantage of Quad Core processor and Mother Board Upgrade (64 bit computing)?

Like many of us, our work computer is the latest and greatest laptop/desktop . . . if we use a computer for work. In my case, its a laptop that I use for Cad drafting (2D only for construction documents, no 3D stuff). I've decided to get Trainz off my laptop and move it to my desktop with the above specs.

I like details . . . lots of trees and trackside objects like grass, shrubs and textures which contribute to eating up processing time. I've learned to create "within viewing range" of Driver mode . . . no sense creating a part of the world that never gets seen while in Driver Mode.

Unfortunately . . . computers has short lifespan when running graphic intensive software . . . new and better is always around the next corner.

I just want to upgrade my desktop to a point where it would be enjoyable (smooth looks on screen when in motion - 24 fps or better I guess) for the next 2 or 3 years without losing an arm and a leg. $400 to $800 in investment (about a price of a nice brass engine) for a nice Trainz platform system good for 2 to 3 years is what I'm thinking. I don't want to buy another computer . . . just for Trainz.

So, any inputs or suggestions for us computer DUMMIES would be much appreciated !!

Thank you all in advance

Dell desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.68Mhz - 2 Gig ram - ATI Radeon X1400 card - 100 Gig HD. An average off the shelf unit.
Not a bad computer overall.

To upgrade for better Trainz performance . . . what first ??
My guess is in the order of priority is :
#1 Video Card with 512M memory or more (I'm thinking GeForce 8800GTX)
Of all the arts upgrade, yes I would look into a new video card first. nVidia 8800 GT 512MB, 8800 GTS 512MB (G92), 8800 GTX 768MB will all serve well.
ATI HD3850, HD3870 will also serve well. If you do decide to switch the nVidia from the ATI X1400 make sure to un-install the ATI Catalyst drivers FIRST before you even install the physical nVidia card
#2 RAM - Is more the better ? OR if you get a video card with lots of memory, then the system RAM amount of 2 Gig is enough ?
2GB isn't bad, and will work for most. With Windows XP and Vista 32-bit the maximum you could use is 3.5GB. So maybe later you could add 1GB when money permits.
#3 Faster CPU - Upgrading for another CPU like up to 2.4Mhz or more that is compatible with existing Mother Board . . . will that make a noticable difference ? Will Trainz take advantage of Quad Core processor and Mother Board Upgrade (64 bit computing)?
I would upgrade the video card and RAM first before looking into a new CPU, but if it's slow then yes a 2.4ghz dual core would help.
Trainz will not take any advantage of quad core, nor does it actually take advantage of the dual core you have now (or the 64-bit properties of the current CPU).

HTH

Back