Problems with trainz Download station-we should all stick together

beavi501

Hi, it is very sad what is happening at Auran at the moment. I sincerly hope that trainz can survive this. I personally have not got a first class ticket but we should all stick together regardless of this to try to keep the trainz community alive. I am sure aidan and his colleagues are doing their best to get things functioning again. We need to give them our full support and do everything we can to help.
Regards,
Richard

My thoughts as well . Sadly many on here don't give a toss about auran or its problems. They are after all they can get. If auran & the download sta do close they will be like rats on a sinking ship. I will stick with trainz whatever happens & support any pay or free download site that will emerge should the worst happen.

I fear that all this talk of problems at Auran will cause the DLS to go down again very shortly. If people get the idea that the Download Station is about to close permanently, then they will all be downloading as much content as possible, which in turn will overload the system again.

Trainz will survive if we can all try and use a bit of self-restraint. I can understand newbies wanting to d/l as much as possible, rather like kids in a candy store, but surely us long-standing Trainzers (or should that be long-sitting?:hehe: ) have enough content to be content with?

Best wishes,
Padster

Why not do an online version

Why not do an online version of trainz?...

Similar to World of War Craft... have us pay for membership to access
routes,
citys,
tracks,
have objectives
drive this tram
drive that train here do this do that...

Put us though learning drives to become a driver and take control of trains and trams with in a world of city's and county side..

Stopping to collect people, following signals etc....
Picture the tram/train in front of the one your driving has someone else from say (france) and turning left from that street/siding over there is from (australia)

NOW THAT IS A GREAT THING TO LOOK OUT FOR :):hehe:

I agree. If I didn't still support Auran and Trainz, I wouldn't still be uploading content to the DLS. If everyone would just stay calm and not be so impatient when the DLS goes down, we'll all survive these moments of uncertainty.

I just re-installed Trainz 2004 after a long period of giving the software a rest.

Trying to download content is an absolute nightmare at the moment. The download helper will not connect to the server at all.

Is this a little of a vicious circle though. New users will give up with the software if they can't download content. They will not recommend the software to others which results in no new users.

A spiralling way downwards if you ask me.

Mark :)

There does seem to be a tendency here for some to go into doomsday scenarios any time the DLS goes down. A wee bit more patience please. Keep the driver's hat on and don't rush to the sack cloth and ashes it doesn't suit railway dress!

Since this morning ( CET ) the DLS is accessible straight by ftp, CMP or download helper. The only problem I noticed is that the items uploaded last are corrupt and need to be re-uploaded.
Before people start screaming and kicking about the DLS being broken they should first check their own end of the line. :wave:

This seems correct. Some of the downloads I've attempted from DLS failed in mid-transfer. In checking the FTP for the failed files, I discovered that some of the KUIDs contained in the download package were missing from the FTP directory, even though they were listed in the DLS. I would suggest using FTP only for your downloads and forget about DLH for the time being until the databases are cleaned up.

There are tens of thousands of 3rd party assets on the DLS. There is probably no $ value that can be assigned to these assets. We should do all that we can to support Auran to keep the DLS operating. So I have the following questions.

What can we do to support Auran and the DLS?

Would Trainzers be willing to pay (say $10/year) to support the DLS? I would and we already are willing to pay for FCT.

Earl

A noble thought, but how many people actually want to support a corporation? Donations would be wasteful if the customer base is shrinking and profits fall below the breakeven point. They are solely responsible for their success and continuance and for the efficiency of their staff, advertisers, quality control and marketing. As customers, about the only way we can support Auran is to keep buying it's products, which is the only reason a company exists.

CaseyJ,

Not to be disrespectful, but you have a demeanor that reminds me of another member that recently left ?

CaseyJ,

Not to be disrespectful, but you have a demeanor that reminds me of another member that recently left ?

None taken, but this person wrote one message asking if his problem had been fixed without stating the problem, and now he's complaining that the products don't work. I have little patience with this sort of behavior.

Please refer to THIS thread.
Actually, I thought I was being quite tactful.;)

Last edited:
I agree that it is very annoying when people complain that no one is helping them without stating their problem. It can't be fixed if we don't know whats wrong.:confused:

Folks,

Can we ALL try to get through this without the bickering? We all have a problem here:

The best train simulation program's company is in serious trouble. While we can struggle along using the program in our own home without outside contact, there is a wealth of information from other members of the community and thousands of custom items at the Download Station.

If we lose the forum and lose the Download Station it will be a major blow to all of us. So, why don't we all just pull together. When someone writes in asking for the helpdesk, perhaps if we know the answer we can try and take the time to answer the question without sarcasm. We can also stop the grumbling, which is not going to help. I've been using Trainz since the first day it came out and I am not about to abandon ship until I feel the water cover my shoes.

Finally, an advertisement. There is a free online magazine that has numerous articles about virtual railroading and has many Trainz related items. If you haven't visited it before, I suggest you drop in, especially if you are new to Trainz. The magazine is Virtual Railroader:

www.virtualrailroader.com

It just might have the information you are looking for.

We can survive without both the forum and the DLS. These are only meeting places and central download points which can be replaced by content developer's web sites and their own forums and downloads. The only thing we would lose in the event of a complete company breakdown is future updates and customer support. In many cases where a software product went 'abandonware', it was picked up by third party programmers and developers writing their own additions and enhancements, Half Life is a good example. A company may die, but it's products live forever.

So, explain what doesn't work instead of leaving obscure calls for help. We are not mind readers here.
Ok this is my 1st attempt at downloading something from the Download cart and it must be simple but I can't figure it out. Please instruct me how to download it onto my PC/trainz2006?

Back