Trainzoptions.txt modifications/additions?

Several RBR members did some informal benchmarking recently and we reached this conclusion:

If changing the performance options in trainzoptions.txt has anything other than a marginal effect on your Trainz frame rates, then your video board is underpowered for Trainz.

What do you guyz think, would you agree or disagree with that theory?

John

"Underpowered" as in lack suffient power (power supply) or poor video card?

Other than ad -intro=disable and -showkuids, I haven't changed a thing in Classics file and have enjoyed how it runs with only 2 problems, both still mysteries so I don't think too much about them. I have thought about taking out -disablerailjointsound.
Could also be because I now have a video card the keeps up with the computer by the Index ratings.

Can anyone comment on the following quote from the "UK Branch Line" forum.......

***QUOTE***

I was browsing the forums this afternoon and came across a post about wide-screen monitors. Now, adjusting the trainzoptions file to reflect the resolution of a wide-screen monitor is only half of the job!

To show the view correctly you need to modify the field-of-view (FOV) to accommodate the increased horizontal size. The values you need to use are:

-cabinfov=74.7975
-driverfov=63.9863

These values are good for any 16:10 aspect wide-screen monitor.

Now, some monitors are 16:9 aspect so you'll need different values:

-cabinfov=80.6960
-driverfov=69.5316

Adding these lines to your trainzoptions file will display everything correctly apart from the main menu screens which will appear to be stretched horizontally.

Before you edit your file, make a backup and put it in a safe place just in case something goes horribly wrong. If you use Trainz 2004 then you can simply use the editor in TrainzObjects to add the necessary info.

***END OF QUOTE***

Has anyone heard of this? I am so far unable to identify the original post, but to keep me from wasting my time, I thought I would ask the wise folks here.:confused:

I have lately noticed that there exist more trainzoptions.txt modifications that I ever thought possible, Dinorius_Redundicus's thread has somewhat proved this to the point that I cannot help but wonder. What other modifications are there? So far the only one I know of are -resourcememory and -keepallresources, but there seem to be many more. Can anyone show me what others exist and what they do?

WileeCoyote:D

EDIT: As requested I'll make a list of them, much easier to compile under one post than having to hunt through dozens to find the one you want.

EDIT EDIT: If anyone wants to use this list on another website or forum, feel free to do so (this means you PerRock!).

-freeintcam
Allows user to move around locomotive to place cameras

-keepallresources
Does not empty cache, keeps all objects in memory (see this thread for more information)

-surveyorfov=55
Changes the field of view in surveyor. Large numbers are wider view and smaller numbers allow you to zoom in more. 55 is default.

-driverfov=
Same as above but in Driver.

-ResourceMemory=XXX
Specifies the amount of memory reserved (in megabytes) for resource disk
caching. This will prevent Trainz from accessing the disk as often, reducing caching time and 'stutter' caused by slow disk access. This option defaults to 0.

-vsync
Activates 'vertical sync'. This option may be overridden by the video card
driver settings. When active, vertical sync results in smoother updates (no
visual tearing) but lower frame rates. This is usually a good thing. This is
equivalent to "-vsync = 1".

-vsync=XXX
See "-vsync" for more info. Allows finer control over vsync, attempting to synch to every second frame ("-vsync=2") or every third frame ("-vsync=3") etc. Larger numbers lower the maximum possible frame rate further but may improve the chance of achieving a steady frame rate. Probably not useful for most people.

-width=XXX
Manually specify the window/screen width (in pixels). When in fullscreen
mode, this must match one of the available display resolutions, and an
appropriate height must be selected. When in dualhead or surround modes
this is the horizontal resolution across all displays, not across a single display.

-height=XXX
Manually specify the window/screen height (in pixels). When in fullscreen
mode, this must match the Width setting used. Width-to-Height ratios other than 4:3 are untested. When in dualhead or surround modes, this is still the vertical height of a single display.

Equivalent to specifying "-width=640" and "-height=480".

Equivalent to specifying "-width=800" and "-height=600".

Equivalent to specifying "-width=1024" and "-height=768".

-znear=XXX
Override the default z-buffer near distance. Specified in meters. The default is 0.1 meters. Smaller numbers allow the viewing of objects closer than 10cm but rapidly decrease the z-buffer accuracy and will cause visual artifacts on most graphics cards. Larger numbers will improve the z-buffer accuracy and may provide less artefacts, especially in 16-bit depth buffer modes, however there may be problems viewing nearby objects such as inside cabin view.

-zfar=XXX
Override the default z-buffer far distance. Specified in meters. The default is 1500m. Decreasing the far distance will result in slightly improved z-buffer accuracy but will result in far-away objects not being visible (Note: this may not result in a speed gain if a high draw distance is specified in the Trainz tuning screens as Trainz will still consider the far-away objects as visible even if the video card is unable to render them.) Increasing the z-buffer distance probably isn't useful as Trainz doesn't allow the selection of draw distances greater than about 1300m, and the z-buffer accuracy will be decreased causing visual artefacts.

-disablefog
Causes fog to be completely disabled.

-fullscreen
Causes Trainz to take over the chosen display. This is the preferred mode.

-windowed
Causes Trainz to run in a window. This is useful for debugging, however may result in reduced frame rate and cause visual 'stutters', especially in DirectX mode.

-dualhead
Enables support for dual-display mode. This will only work if you have two
displays attached to a single video card acting as a single, large display (i.e. single frame-buffer). This wont work if there are two displays on different video cards or configured to act as independent displays. Currently dualhead support is only utilized in the Driver module. This option requires that a dualhead resolution is selected (ie. 8:3 ratio) and that Trainz is run in fullscreen mode. On some video cards this option may require you to switch to the appropriate resolution prior to launching Trainz.

-surround
Enables support for triple-display (triple-head / surround gaming) mode. This will only work if you have three displays attached to a single video card acting as a single, large display (ie. single frame-buffer.) This wont work if there are three displays on different video cards or configured to act as independent displays. Currently surround gaming support is only utilised in the Driver module. This option requires that a surround gaming resolution is selected (ie. 12:3 ratio) and that Trainz is run in fullscreen mode. On some video cards this option may require you to switch to the appropriate resolution prior to launching Trainz.

-disablecarz=X
Default 0 (carz enabled). If set to 1 (carz disabled), then carz will not appear on roads. This may (untested) result in smoother framerates. Experimental only.

-framestoaverage=XXX
This option controls the 'smoothing' of frame rate timing. Increasing this option may result in less visual 'stutter', however can cause period 'surges' if rapid changes in frame rate occur. Increasing this option may be useful for high-end machines with fast graphics cards where the frame rate remains fairly constant. Default is 4, maximum is currently 16, minimum is 1 (no averaging.)

-heartbeat=XXX
Specify the time interval at which the physics heartbeat occurs (in seconds). Defaults to 0.03sec. Larger intervals decrease processor usage for physics at the expense of accuracy. Intervals larger than 0.05sec are not recommended. Changing this option is probably unnecessary and may have a negative impact on physics accuracy.

-filter=XXX
Specify the texture filtering mode. Default is trilinear which provides the best visual results. Other options are bilinear and none. This option is unlikely to provide performance gains, except perhaps on minimum-spec (or lower) graphics cards.

-DisableEnvMap
Causes Trainz to not render Environmental maps. This may improve
performance on certain minimum-spec (or lower) graphics cards.

-framerate=XXX
Requests that Trainz limit the frame rate to the specified number of fps. Not tested. Doesn't appear to work with vsync enabled. May help with maintaining a stable frame rate on faster machines.

-render=renderdirectx
Cause Trainz to use the Direct3D API for graphics rendering as opposed to
OpenGL(default). This may improve performance or compatibility where the
video card drivers do not correctly support OpenGL.

-autopilotsignaldistance = XXX
Modifies the autopilot signal-visibility distance, specified in meters. Default
value is 200m. Smaller values are not permitted. This will affect how the
autopilot reacts to the signals - how soon it will begin to slow down and how close to the signal it will attempt to stop.

-disableztest
Turns off z-buffer testing for coronas (signal flares, headlights, sun.) This will make the flares shine *through* other objects, however will reduce artefacts with the ground and train clipping the flare.

-debug
Including this option enables debug mode. The main feature of debug mode is that it allows you to accelerate the game speed by holding down the Shift key. This can be useful for content creators that might want to test their sessions more quickly. However debug mode is not a supported feature and the behavior of Trainz in not guaranteed when using the Shift speed-up.

-loc
Displays the xy location of the cursor. x is distance in meters north/south of the ground plane origin and y is distance east/west of it. x is negative for locations north of the origin and postive for locations south of it. y is negative for locations west of the origin and positive for locations east of it. The origin is the northwest corner of the 1st base board. Does not function with -ShowKuids.

-allownoctrlrightclick
Removes the requirement to have to hold down the CTRL key when right clicking an object in driver to see info about the object.

-disablerailjointsound
Probably TRS2006 and later. Disables the rail joint "clickity-click" sound.

-intro=disable
Disables the playing of the Auran intro video when Trainz is started. The word "disable" must be entirely in lower case and not enclosed in quotes. Sometimes helpful if Trainz crashes on startup.

-showcachebar
Probably TRS2006 and later. Displays the cache bar which is displayed in TRS2004 but by default not displayed in TRS2006.

-ShowKuids
Displays the kuid of the currently selected asset in Surveyor. No effect in Driver, Scenarios, etc.

It's an old thread but the info here helped me, etc ... excellent detailed and explanation!!!

Thanks
Ish

Nice bump Ish, I forgot about this.
I have noticed TS2009 has different default settings for trainzoptions, other than Showkuids I have been put off from changing it because I lost track of some options and am not sure what others do.

Back