UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

1923 - Camscott C1s on the 10 a.m. departure for Scotland

A shot inspired by Yeadon's Named trains on LNER Lines Part 1. In the first year of the LNER the 4-4-2 engines of Class C1 continued to be used out of the terminus at London Kings Cross. Heavy trains were given a pilot engine for the climb to Potter's Bar. In the book, Class D2 4-4-0 1336 of Hitchin shed assisted C1 4-4-2 1406 but here I have used two C1 4-4-2s since there is no D2 Class 4-4-0 available anywhere to the best of my knowledge. In the book the D2 was stil in GNR livery so I have one C1 in GNR livery and one C1 in LNER livery. The coaches remain in ECJS livery.

Ullapool Quarry

It is a while since I did any work on my Ullapool route. Currently putting in scenery and textures for the wild countryside in the district. I have decided to add some traffic in the form of a quarry to the north-east of Ullapool. In my "history" of Ullapool the line was built from the Highland Railway's Kyle of Lochalsh mainly due to the Admiralty taking an interest and naval quays take a lot of stone.

Below, Highland Railway 4-4-0T Tank 58 waits with a short stone train for Ullapool. It has positioned the day's empties beside the loading bank. The train is short because the quarry branch is very steeply graded, with 1 in 50 and 1 in 37 being predominant. Brakes will be pinned down for most of the way down, until reaching the northern outskirts of Ullapool.

The loading bank and the empties. The siding with the coal storage is for the stone crushing plant and heating the quarry office.

Having just travelled to Ullapool, I was pleased to see your route. As I am sure you know, the Highland Railway did in fact propose a route, branching off at Garve.

re posts Doncaster Works thread,
#872 KotangaGirl and #873 Tanker46, thanks for the compliments and info from KotangaGirl.

UK.........BR/GCR/MET

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

KotangaGirl re: Post #1447 - I will oblige as and when I can present something worthwhile on the Ullapool route.
Teddytoot re: Post #1448 - I have McConnel's book on the road to Skye and while commissioners surveyed a line to Ullapool, the HR was definitely behind its extension from Strome Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. So much so that the HR felt that it was a case of "either or". I think at one point the GNoS was threatened as a builder of the Ullapool route with running powers granted by Parliament (Apoplectic horror at Inverness) but the HR got its way.
Evilcrow re Post #1449 - great shots, as ever.
IanOHoseason re: Post #1450 - No, not abandoning the NER/NBR. However, Ullapool is a major challenge, even with a rough outline of where the route was to have gone. The recommendation was for the line to actually go to Isle Martin, so as to make it efficient for the fishery. It is this stipulation that my "alternate universe" has bringing in the Admiralty once the HR got its way with the Kyle extension. No doubt it would have been an expensive and terrifically hard line to work, with hard climbs from Garve going Northwest and from Inverbroom Lodge going Southeast. There was the tourist attraction of the Falls of Corrieshalloch/Corrieshalloch Gorge during the summer, though dropping off passengers at a halt near the current gorge viewpoint on the A832 might be an interesting timetabling challenge. Railway staff assigned to signal boxes and permanent way on the line would have had to be hardy souls. My transdem route based on OS50 goes all the way from Inverness to Dingwall, Strathpeffer and Isle Martin. There is the "possibility" of doing it in sections by chopping off bits of the main OS50 transdem as finished. there is also the possibility of the Ullapool line spinning off a line through Strathpeffer on the original, thwarted, proposal for the HR line from Dingwall to Strome Ferry, though justifying that will take some thought.

Last edited:
re posts #1452 borderreiver, #1451 KotangaGirl and belatedly #1444 Saieditor;
many thanks for the compliments.
borderreiver always a pleasure to read the histories you produce.

Cheers, evilcrow

RE POSTS #1456 KotangaGirl and #1457 robd

Thank you both for the compliments.
The 9f is a wonderful machine and a credit to the maker 'lielestosbrat', who unfortunately no longer seems to be active in Trainz.

UK............BR/GCR/MET

Cheers, evilcrow

Great shots there in post #1455. Just wondering what the bridge is there in the second one - don't think I've seen it before.

Paul

re post #1459 Paulsw2

Thanks for the compliment, Paul.
The bridge is a "bodge" clone of "Albury Bridge" by the late "bendorsey" <kuid2:210518:300324:1>. Parts 4 & 5 being deleted, alterations to the config and to the textures and alpha channels applied to those textures that were not needed. Track by "nexusdj" <kuid:45317:109594> added in surveyor. Please note by applying alpha channels to the textures, the mesh is still there and can cause placement agro when placing buildings nearby. It may have been better to obscure the unwanted parts of the bridge with "FMA" embankments as they are needed anyway.

Cheers, Ken

Back