UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Ian ... all the vans and hoppers are available from me. The website is going through a makeover, and MANY items will be added that I have created over the months/years.

Just drop me a line with your requirements

Last edited:
On your shot of Witton Gilbert, is that 20T hopper behind the brake van, dia P7 I think? If so, is it available from Paul?
i haven't found it in his listings. The one I would really like to see is dia P4, the 10 1/2 T hopper, many of which passed to the NCB. If you haven't already done so, I may ask Paul to have a look at that, as Unfortunately, I am not competent to build it myself. My longer term plan is to look at the Lambton system.
thanks
Ian

Ian, the 20T Coal Hopper is a P7 if I recall correctly. The NER built over 17,500 examples between 1902 and 1923. According to Tatlow the LNER 1939 census showed 13,546 still in service and even 5,679 remained in service in 1947. Many were bought by the Colliery owners and some lasted in to NCB days. The 15T Coal Hopper is a P6 8 plank of 1902, with Tatlow reporting 1,172 being in service in 1922 but 5,484 in service in 1927. Only 529 remained by 1939. I wonder if the 1,172 figure for 1922 is a typo.

I have attached a photo from my Trainz route NW DURHAM with a train of some of Paul's NER wagons. The NER 290 Class 0-6-0T is heading south on Knitsley viaduct with a P6 15T coal hopper, a P7 20T wooden body coal hopper, an S3 30T steel body ironstone hopper of 1905, an S4 20T steel body hopper of 1909, a G2 12T van of 1914 with brake fitting and a G2 12T loose coupled van of 1903. Bringing up the rear are a 10T 4-wheel Goods Brake van of 1908 to diagram V4 and a 20T 6-wheel mineral brake van of 1902 to diagram V3.

Paul also has an ex-NER 40T bogie bolster wagon, which I wanted for the Consett Iron Company traffic. I have an extensive wish list for the future due to Talow's Volume Two of LNER Wagons.

You may wonder why I said Knitsley Viaduct when you can see an embankment. When the line was built it was a wooden trestle. By WW1 it required replacement but the NER did not replace it. They buried it with colliery spoil (plenty of which was available in the district) between 1919 and 1920. The line has closed but the embankment remains. Few people realise that there is a wooden trestle viaduct lurking within it though.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to imgur.

Last edited:
NW Durham - Steam Days - BTP Approaching Lanchester

This is a representation of Lanchester on my Transdem based route NW DURHAM, which is a long-term work in progress. Here, set in 1922 during the pre-grouping era, a North Eastern Railway Autotrain approaches the station from the southeast on a branch passenger train between Durham and Newcastle via Blackhill. The locomotive is a Fletcher Bogie Tank Passenger class 0-4-4T (BTP Class, later LNER G6) and the two 52' Driving Van Composites are to Diagram 162. These were built around 1907 to supplement the clerestory roof Diagram 116 vehicles. When the LNER scrapped the G6 at the end of the 1920s these coaches must have found some use elsewhere since the LNER were to employ them in push-pull trains with former NER "O" Class 0-4-4Ts (LNER G5) after the demise of the Sentinel and Clayton steam railcars in the 1940s. The LNER used a push-pull control system which differed from that used by the NER, so it was not just a case of "couple up and go". I think that at least one set was used on services between Pickering and Scarborough. BR's NE Region scrapped the G5 0-4-4Ts by 1958 so if the diagram 162 lasted as long they had fifty years of service.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to imgur.

Last edited:
Yes, great to see Knitsley viaduct. I know it very well, having walked over it last about a month ago! A beautiful valley, the Upper Browney!
best wishes
Ian

Ian ... I have a requirement to build P4, P5 and P17 wagons, so they will become available in industry enabled and non-industry enabled in ex-works, weathered and heavily weathered versions in NER grey, LNER grey, PO grey and NCB red

Stanier Pacifics on shed.
Models by LMS_man, TANE 80330, settings all maxed up, post-processing turned off.

Cheers,
Filippo

I started a UK layout some years ago after visiting the Cornwall coast back in 2010 and I never got around to finishing it. I thought I'd resurrect it while T:ANE SP1 is being updated and tidy the route up somewhat. I based it on the line from Exmouth to Exeter St Davids and thence to Newton Abbot. It's not 100% authentic but it's how I saw it. Here's a few screenshots from an old Aussie guy who just enjoys running trains. Enjoy!

Roy3b3_20160112_0005.jpg

Roy3b3_20160112_0009.jpg

Roy3b3_20160112_0002.jpg

Roy3b3_20160112_0008.jpg

The LMS 'Duchess' with 'Blood & Custard' carriages.
(TS12)

Cheers,
Roy3b3

You mean this one?
d3ea8a6d23965d5a4eb9e49de81e0e59.jpg

I made it, but it's pretty horrible really. Just a placeholder until somebody does a better one, plus the bogey is off a payware locomotive so I can't release it, and if I did I would like to go back and revise it first. The scaling is all wrong for a start, not sure on the colour either.

I'd love it if you did another one :D I think the community would love this rare item! P.S, search GT3 Locomotive and you should get videos from Railworks of the proper scheme, The BR Blue one is just a fictious 'what if' livery.

25475900171_44a9c78202_b.jpg

Something to break up the monotony of steamies ;),
JA Class 73 arrives with a transfer freight from the Southern Region, meanwhile a class 501 hurries past with a service to Euston.

Last edited:
It's been all too long since a BR Green screenie showed up. Really nice shot!

Just a question, is that the Twilight of Steam route?

Back