UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

I needed a bit of a cheer up so I decided I'd play some buffer clanging music in the goods yard at Milbourne James. Decapod.'s E2 does very nicely as a shunting engine even if it's a bit out of place in former LSWR territory.

Not as out of place as you might think Annie!

Four members of the Class were allocated to Eastleigh and then to Southampton during the later years of Steam on the SR Region. In fact, Southampton had a compliment of 9 E2s upon their withdrawal with only one of them remaining at Eastleigh until it's scrapping in 1961. The others all went together during the Great Pre-Grouping Culling of 1962. Not too many designs beyond Bulleid and Riddles BR Standard survived beyond that.

A photo of New Cross Gate's only E2 Class member idling at the mouth of Bricklayers Arms Junction. LBSCR E6 Class 32410 on the adjacent track leaving for Norwood with a light mixed goods.

vnn2AGV.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Not as out of place as you might think Annie!

Four members of the Class were allocated to Eastleigh and then to Southampton during the later years of Steam on the SR Region. In fact, Southampton had a compliment of 9 E2s upon their withdrawal with only one of them remaining at Eastleigh until it's scrapping in 1961. The others all went together during the Great Pre-Grouping Culling of 1962. Not too many designs beyond Bulleid and Riddles BR Standard survived beyond that.

Well that's good then as it gives me a plausible excuse for an E2 being temporarily assigned to the sub shed at Milbourne James.. No.107 is proving to be useful for shunting and trip working and is a pleasure to drive now that it's been fettled a little to run nicely in TANE.

UVGEgQt.jpg

Well that's good then as it gives me a plausible excuse for an E2 being temporarily assigned to the sub shed at Milbourne James.. No.107 is proving to be useful for shunting and trip working and is a pleasure to drive now that it's been fettled a little to run nicely in TANE.

UVGEgQt.jpg

Quite so Annie! No. 107 was one of the long tank models of the class so it probably was one of the only members of the class that was allowed to run transfer goods to and from the dock side and while it was at Eastleigh.

I'm really loving what you've done with the weathering on that Ex-SECR 10T Van too! Those particular vans were primarily used for paper products like Newspaper, Paper Towels and TP along Kentish Branch Lines. They were a staple in goods traffic for the SECR in so many ways.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Excellent Reskin of the L1 and the Ex-GCR 6 Wheeled Brake Ken! Reminds me of that LNER E Type Brake Reskin you did all those years ago when I was first starting Trainz! ;)

Cheers, Ken

Quite so Annie! No. 107 was one of the long tank models of the class so it probably was one of the only members of the class that was allowed to run transfer goods to and from the dock side and while it was at Eastleigh.

I'm really loving what you've done with the weathering on that Ex-SECR 10T Van too! Those particular vans were primarily used for paper products like Newspaper, Paper Towels and TP along Kentish Branch Lines. They were a staple in goods traffic for the SECR in so many ways.

Weathering that Ex-SECR van was not easy Tanker. I like those particular vans I wanted to have them on Milbourne James only as they stood all the detail on the body mesh was being swallowed up by the original dark brown texturing. What I did was use Paint.NET to alter the luminosity and RGB colour curves, and after a lot of holding my mouth right I got the brown colour to look like layers of dirt which helped to enhance the previously hidden detail on the van body.

Last edited:
Here you go Annie, LNER to BR reskin of "Camscott's" excellent model.
Thanks for the tip on luminosity and RGB.

Cheers, Ken

#6191. Now there's a fine sight. You made a nice job of weathering Camscott's LNER brake van Ken. Altering the luminosity and RGB curves was something that I stumbled on almost by accident so I'm very glad that passing on the details of my experiment have proved to be useful.

I couldn't agree more Annie! The weathered unfitted variant is exactly what they lookedl ike in the 1950s! I'm amazed at the commitment you had to convert every single plank from Bauxite to Grey on the mesh, Ken! That must have taken you hours to complete!

U4pMo6e.jpg
[/IMG]

More from NCG/London Bridge. Ex-SR Maunsell School Class No. 30900 Eton approaches London Bridge Station with a Inbound Express from St. Leonards. The first of it's class, Eton has nearly completed it's journey and will be heading back to St. Leonards after a brief rest at 73B once it's tour of duty is complete. As it passes over Deptford Junction it races past a slightly neglected E4 Tank departing from Deptford Wharf with a row of 16T empties.

lCr6UN6.jpg
[/IMG]

Afternoon folks, here are some shots I've took.

CEF76472A22CB5EF1ECB12203478BB144D31E305

Patriot 5551 'The Unknown Warrior'
1D7516C3DC7997DD329A4365CFD1E258AE653B5B

5551 & 6100
46A9F7A7C91BED83EB6F0A92B4FB4EFF5FC5DE1B

Class 40 at Baverhurst
A904D59DB356F869C4C6B31B8AF88439DC553CCC

1BEBE9EE423C53908116CEA035D90022C9930905

45690 LEANDER seen speeding along the Coverthrope Railway Line
3CA678EB5B156EBAB462E97927F071E41F38CA63

E1D9D0075A7B6CC467442BB6E6C9B36938E74974

60007 SIR NIGEL GRESLEY seen at Garsdale
D8001469A9B6ED5895ACF2EFC1648B8DE7272B8B

LEANDER seen departing from Garsdale. A Cameo B1 is present.
467F9F861BD8302AE39E63FB058967FF5DA33444

LEANDER & SIR NIGEL GRESLEY seen about to greet each other on opposite sides of the line.
E648B02164AE631D23F26CC9DE7599EA322ED3A7

Crossing the viaduct

#6193. I've just had a look on the NLS's OS maps to see where your screenshots were taken Tanker and talk about colour me impressed if that is what you're aiming at representing.

#6194. A good looking collection of screenshots nobody with Gary Price's excellent models very much to the fore. Seeing the old S&C from Trainz Classic 3 again has made me wonder about taking a visit there sometime.

#6193. I've just had a look on the NLS's OS maps to see where your screenshots were taken Tanker and talk about colour me impressed if that is what you're aiming at representing.

Much appreciated Annie! I can't tell you how happy that makes me! Receiving a compliment from a Route Master such as yourself really makes me want to work even harder on this! :D

I have to be honest with you, the scale of this project is so massive I won't be able to acquire the level of detail I want on all the areas of the Southern Region, but I want to at least makes most areas stand out as they do in their photographs. Places like New Cross Gates, Southampton, Eastleigh, Dover Marine and many more need extensive research in the future before I make proper replicas of these iconic locations. (I can't wait for you to see London Bridge and Cannon Street when I post the next SR Update :hehe:) But little areas like this are what gives the route so much character and add to the enjoyment of operation in sessions and freestyle play. The goal is for you all to have fun with the route while enjoying the authentic operation and running of trains.

I have spoken to Frank about doing the DEMs for the route in three separate sections like how I divided them up for the project, and I may release each Phase of the Project as individual routes based on their railway of origin. That would make it easier for users to modify for backdating or personal preference. Releasing the SECR/Kent and LSWR/Hampshire and Berkshire would make for easier DEM Mapping for Frank and for me to work on. It's definitely going to be segmented.

The South London Route will definitely get an independent release though. I need to add Feltham, Hither Green, and Reading Goods Depots to it before I start it but I will probably work with Barney on making some PBR Buildings and Scenery for the route along with a compliment of Locos, EMUs and Rolling Stock to match. We've got all sorts of projects like that in the works - not enough High Quality Premium Routes out there for us UK Fans you know?

hTrWJ5M.jpg
[/IMG]

QTChLnr.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope I can keep impressing you with my work! I'll do my best!

Much appreciated Annie! I can't tell you how happy that makes me! Receiving a compliment from a Route Master such as yourself really makes me want to work even harder on this! :D

Steady on Tanker, - I model minor country railways and here you are modelling most of 1950s London! I don't think you need to try any harder to impress me.
It does sound a very good and sensible idea to do the route in three separate sections though, - otherwise you could end up getting lost in amongst it all.

Cannon Street would have to be the most incredible, amazing and unlikely terminus station ever built with it being perched on a bank of the River Thames and having all its approach tracks on a bridge across the river. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with that. As for London Bridge station it's absolutely huge.

#6194. A good looking collection of screenshots nobody with Gary Price's excellent models very much to the fore. Seeing the old S&C from Trainz Classic 3 again has made me wonder about taking a visit there sometime.
Thanks Kotanga. His models look quite beautiful in Trainz 19 as well as camscott's.

Hello Tanker, your route is looking good and a mammoth work in progress is duly noted.
London Bridge station is now very much changed, a freezing cold Modernistic hole in winter now !!, will be good to see your rendition of how it was.

Cheers, Ken

Steady on Tanker, - I model minor country railways and here you are modelling most of 1950s London! I don't think you need to try any harder to impress me.
It does sound a very good and sensible idea to do the route in three separate sections though, - otherwise you could end up getting lost in amongst it all.

Cannon Street would have to be the most incredible, amazing and unlikely terminus station ever built with it being perched on a bank of the River Thames and having all its approach tracks on a bridge across the river. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with that. As for London Bridge station it's absolutely huge.

Much thanks Annie. I guess I never thought of it that way but to me I still see routebuilders like you, Ken and Frank to be leagues above myself in such terms. I look up to all of you immensely and I guess I take it a little too far sometimes.

Paul and I already have the Canopy, Bridge and Station Building/Hotel ready for the game. The Canopy itself was heavily damaged during the Lutewaffe's Bombings in the early stages of WW2, so by 1950s the glass had been removed from the canopy leaving the beautiful iron framework exposed. Sadly this too was disassembled in 1959 and by the end of steam in 1967 Cannon Street looked unrecognizable to us steam enthusiasts. I'm actually really interested in doing the Glass Canopy from the Pre-Grouping in the future as I am growing more and more fond of the SECR Pre-Grouping locos and rolling stock.

London Bridge is quite easier if I am being quite honest since our beloved Klambert modeled the buildings for it bot so long ago. After extensive research I discovered that on the Footbridges and Entry Building are unusable due to being set for the modern era. London Bridge also got significantly bomb damaged during the Blitz but it wasn't repaired as quickly as Cannon Street. However, the central terminal building, canopies, offices, and Borough Market Junction Bridge are all useable for 1950s-1960s operation. It seems the heavy overhaul of the station didn't comnence until steam was long gone from London. A blessing in disguise if you ask me.

The real challenge is finding adequate signals to represent the route! I prefer the BR(S) Signals Chrisaw has generously made for us to use as freeware, but the Southern and BR Library of his signals is rather limited unfortunately so it makes it difficult to make everything accurate as by the 1950s South London used a 70/30 mix of Electronic and Semaphore Signals. I've been fortunate enough to discover some 1950s Electronic Gantry Signals for the main lines but these too are limited.

I'll probably tackle Charing Cross after these two before looping back around to Norwood Junction to start filling in stations towards London Victoria. I believe Holborn Street was closed at this point besides it's connection to the Widened Lines so I'm sure I can revisit that in a bit. After I get Victoria and Waterloo working I'll finally ve ready to release the beta tester version! It's kind of exciting to see it all finally coming together!

Some screenshots to go with my textwall. :hehe:

Two days after it's previous journey, Eton leaves London Bridge with the 05:35am Express to St. Leonards (with detachment to Warrior's Square). The 12 Car Train is daunting to undertake for any engine, but the Schools Class was made for heavy expresses like this.

Cuc03ZO.jpg
[/IMG]

uaREYOC.jpg
[/IMG]

As it nears New Cross Gates, it runs into an accurate depiction of South London's morning traffic...

HgKfn2h.jpg
[/IMG]

It's kind of amazing how well George's Schools Class has held up over the years. It's extremely long in the tooth but it still manages to take a pretty picture. I hope one day this class receives the TLC it deserves!

c7E4tkw.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back