UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

The vast glass edifice that the station was built to serve had burnt down in 1936, the vast debt accumulated during the second world war was still dominating the public finance and BR was looking to modernise and cut non-profitable branches.

And the car was on the rise.

It was definitely the former more than the latter. The fact of the matter was that without the Crystal Palace to go to, High Street was practically useless. Low Street was just fine because of it's placement as a major Southern and Metropolitan link to the inner stations of London like Gipsy Hill, West Norwood, and Clapham High Street and it's ever increasing termini at London Bridge and Charing Cross, but High Street had no such secondaries to fall back on as it was built solely for people travelling to see the Crystal Palace.

When you think about it that way, Annie it's a miracle it lasted as long as it did in BR Service. I'm surprised they didn't strip the metal down during the war for use in salvage like so many other buildings.

Bricklayers Arms - New Cross Gate 1951:

bfuLQmz.jpg
[/IMG]

LBSCR C2x Class No. 32553 working the last train from Deptford Wharf for the evening. Although the train is usually handled by an SECR C Class or O1 Class, the Billington goods locomotive is allocated to 73B at the moment, so it's a far better choice than to call another engine from off shed. The train is a mixed formation consisting of a single saloon coach for the returning dock workers and an assortment of wagons needed for tomorrow's outbound goods. As soon as the mixed train arrives into New Cross Gate, the carriage will be separated and put away once all the dock workers have caught their train, and the wagons will be marshalled to the main yard by one of the tank engines. Then 32553 will be roaded for the night at Bricklayers.

Great shot Tanker - I was looking at Crystal Palace to see if I could knock something together but I haven't been able to find any drawings. In any case, I expect Paul used Blender whereas I'm stuck in Sketchup so no doubt his is more system friendly performance wise.

Cheers,

PLP

I actually have diagrams for you if you're interested Parker! I also have diagrams for buildings from Exmouth Junction, Exeter St Davids, London Waterloo and London Charing Cross. I found them a while ago and have been hanging onto them for when I needed them most. Let me know if you ever want to take a crack at any of them - I'd certainly appreciate it! :hehe:

I believe Paul uses GMax if I remember correctly. He may have switched to Blender some time ago but to my knowledge it's still GMax. He makes some incredible structures with that program though! It's a lot like Sketchup - in the hands of a skillful user it can create masterpieces! Your Swanage Buildings are proof of that! :D

Great shot Tanker - I was looking at Crystal Palace to see if I could knock something together but I haven't been able to find any drawings. In any case, I expect Paul used Blender whereas I'm stuck in Sketchup so no doubt his is more system friendly performance wise.

Cheers,

PLP

Don't be embarrassed about Sketchup PLP as it's the only 3D modelling software that I've been able to get to work for me. There's nothing wrong with the buildings and other assets you've been able to make for Swanage.

It was definitely the former more than the latter. The fact of the matter was that without the Crystal Palace to go to, High Street was practically useless. Low Street was just fine because of it's placement as a major Southern and Metropolitan link to the inner stations of London like Gipsy Hill, West Norwood, and Clapham High Street and it's ever increasing termini at London Bridge and Charing Cross, but High Street had no such secondaries to fall back on as it was built solely for people travelling to see the Crystal Palace.

When you think about it that way, Annie it's a miracle it lasted as long as it did in BR Service. I'm surprised they didn't strip the metal down during the war for use in salvage like so many other buildings.

If there was a good model of the upper level Crystal Palace station buildings available it could create an interesting challenge for a layout builder since Steve Flanders has made a model of the Crystal Palace.

Nice looking screenshot at #6144 Tanker.

I'm still messing around with my pre-WW1 version of 'Minories'

fnHsrVy.jpg

Last edited:
I actually have diagrams for you if you're interested Parker! I also have diagrams for buildings from Exmouth Junction, Exeter St Davids, London Waterloo and London Charing Cross. I found them a while ago and have been hanging onto them for when I needed them most. Let me know if you ever want to take a crack at any of them - I'd certainly appreciate it! :hehe:

I believe Paul uses GMax if I remember correctly. He may have switched to Blender some time ago but to my knowledge it's still GMax. He makes some incredible structures with that program though! It's a lot like Sketchup - in the hands of a skillful user it can create masterpieces! Your Swanage Buildings are proof of that! :D

Hi Tanker,

By all means, send over the drawings if you'd like and I can have a look at them. Sketchup is frowned upon by some content creators but, as you said Annie, it's easy to use and it does the job so if you're happy with a Sketchup model I'm happy to give it a go.

Cheers,

PLP

Hi Tanker,

By all means, send over the drawings if you'd like and I can have a look at them. Sketchup is frowned upon by some content creators but, as you said Annie, it's easy to use and it does the job so if you're happy with a Sketchup model I'm happy to give it a go.

Cheers,

PLP

http://www.johnberrymillard.com/british-rail-sd

Here's the first set of diagrams I found for Crystal Palace Low Street. I'm compiling the ones for High Street and the London Termini into a Dropbox Link For you to access.

Right now I only have the Charing Cross Diagrams ready:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/5ubblmeuc02v93bovj6u5/h?dl=0&rlkey=hedl2bu5fex0ix8bn9luvyakx

If there was a good model of the upper level Crystal Palace station buildings available it could create an interesting challenge for a layout builder since Steve Flanders has made a model of the Crystal Palace.

This is indeed a question that I have asked myself many times Annie: "What would my project look like in the days of marvels like the Crystal Palace?"

While the route itself is set in the 1950s and 1960s, I have a great desire to take the route once I have finished and backdate it to the Southern Railways era in both the 1920s/1930s as well as a WW2 Version, but the possibility of a Pre-Grouping Era version of the route is equally interesting. I much desire to include Steve Flander's Crystal Palace along with his Brighton and Rotterdean Railway once the final leg of the LBSCR Section DEM is completed. It would allow the development of the Metropolitan Line as well as the additional extensions to Paddington as well as the famous GWR Terminal made it onto the map it so seems. There's a lot that can be done with this.

The biggest issues to such a venture would be the massive downsizing of the major rail depots and sheds and the enormous laying of catenary overhead wire splines all throughout the South London Area. (Not to mention the massive amount of LBSCR and SECR 4 & 6 Wheeled Coaches that would need to be commissioned) The DEM map used to create the South London portion of the route is in fact partially of pre grouping origin. It's definitely a project I am willing to consider in the future or one I am willing to oversee provided someone else wants to undertake in my stead. Either way both Grouping and Pre-Grouping layouts are entirely possible in the future.

I do really want to finish my BR Era version first as I believe it is the most flexible and versatile version of the route as it allows for multiple eras of SR Stock and LT Stock to be run simultaneously. Eventually Feltham, Reading and Hither Green will be fully added to the route and the entirety of the South London District will be a complete route that can very well stand on its own one day!

There's so much to look forward to with this! The possibilities are endless!

Hello folks, I've returned with some screenies today;
C2E298A4C6BE53AFBB1D8E90AAD36FB270A508F9

8F 2-8-0 LMS Crimson with passengers
262BE56BB7EC657D64834BE99C2013820ED2AD56

B75775854D4ACA91D4370B0BE44332F92F8411CB

Stanier 5MT BR Green with passengers
F152BA66758A07320375D44AF217B5BB25BBD222

6312FB92E88B42EFC2CBE3FEEA781C1740C53C57

ex-LNER B1 & B12 seen in Coverthrope yards
9A0CF269C428D961588BACCD00E68D0FF0F38FD8

ex-LNER A4 'Sir Nigel Gresley'

Haven't seen any locos in Trainz blow steam like that, but it makes me wonder how far it goes between water stops!

Last edited:
I mean the video in post #6152 by EvilCrow. It looks like it is clipping right along. "Pouring" on the steam, if you forgive the expression. And while I am talking about that steam coming from the stack, it seems in the US that is usually black smoke? Maybe itis just in the mix somehow....

Re post #6156 KotangaGirl
Hello Annie, we will certainly miss clam1952.
re posts 6154 & #6158 Forester1.
No mechanical stokers in the UK (just a couple in BR days), hand firing with a shovel being the norm. Note the diesel on the back. Most steam railtours for one reason or another take a diesel at rear in the UK.
You have to pick your tour with care !!!!
44932 and the rest of the class going back to LMS/BR days in the main were painted black and thus known by the nickname "Black Fives"

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Eeeeeeeeee snow screenshots! Really lovely Ken and a definite cheer up.

Revisiting Minehead 1890 after being away for too long.

5Yd6ETO.jpg

uZvYjDn.jpg

ZQsnZu5.jpg

NgcWHtN.jpg

Last edited:
Minehead is looking excellent Annie! Steve's Armstrong and Dean GWR locomotives really give the route that "turn of the century" feeling in addition to the spectacular display of assets you have crafted the route with. I do hope he continues his current trend and proceeds to do more in the future.

Did some early trainspotting at New Cross Gates this morning. I've been detailing the station a bit and I am really liking how it is turning out.

VPsekh3.jpg
[/IMG]

nYSqrG9.jpg
[/IMG]

xdNd8LJ.jpg
[/IMG]

dpMpWtd.jpg
[/IMG]

PzI5BNN.jpg
[/IMG]

RNta4Tb.jpg
[/IMG]