UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Malc the route looks great and the screenshots are outstanding. How do you manage such sharp clarity on long shots? Mine just get lost in grey murk.....

Malc the route looks great and the screenshots are outstanding. How do you manage such sharp clarity on long shots? Mine just get lost in grey murk.....

Thanks.
Clarity? Probably becauseI have post processing on low, high blurs things in the distance, everything else apart from draw distance on maximum, draw distance currently 6000m don't need it any higher.

Q6 number 63387 heads north through Garton with a lengthy train of empties probably for Burdale Quarry. I've tried shunting Garton station and it's impossible in the Down (northbound) direction due to the lack of a passing loop so I can only assume any wagons that needed to be detached there would be from an Up (southbound) train. Either that or shunting may have been performed by a horse ? The little end loading dock in the foreground is measured from the 25" OS map and wasn't long enough to take an engine and wagon.

Q6 63387 Garton 29.5.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
Malc, that view over Barnstaple is nothing short of amazing.

Another nice screenshot Lewisner. Some old stations' trackplans only make sense once horse shunting is entered into the equation. Do any of the older OS maps for Garton show a passing loop? I wonder if there was one in earlier times only the pointwork for it was later removed.

Another snap from 'Dintdale Road'. Ex-NER class 'O' (G5) with a two coach ex-NER motor train (push-pull) set.

WJRrOON.jpg

Malc, that view over Barnstaple is nothing short of amazing.

Another nice screenshot Lewisner. Some old stations' trackplans only make sense once horse shunting is entered into the equation. Do any of the older OS maps for Garton show a passing loop? I wonder if there was one in earlier times only the pointwork for it was later removed.

Another snap from 'Dintdale Road'. Ex-NER class 'O' (G5) with a two coach ex-NER motor train (push-pull) set.

The OS maps go from 1855 when the line was still under construction to the next one which is 1892. On the 20 miles there were no proper passing loops in the conventional sense and I think the general rule was that if there was a passing loop at a station where 2 passengers trains could pass then a platform had to be provided on both tracks. I think the track layouts were unchanged from the opening day and may have been intended to be shunted by very small tank engines since after I posted that I tried placing a cattle wagon in the end loading dock with a J72 as the engine and it would just barely fit. I believe it may have been possible to walk wagons using the brake lever but not sure about this.

The OS maps go from 1855 when the line was still under construction to the next one which is 1892. On the 20 miles there were no proper passing loops in the conventional sense and I think the general rule was that if there was a passing loop at a station where 2 passengers trains could pass then a platform had to be provided on both tracks. I think the track layouts were unchanged from the opening day and may have been intended to be shunted by very small tank engines since after I posted that I tried placing a cattle wagon in the end loading dock with a J72 as the engine and it would just barely fit. I believe it may have been possible to walk wagons using the brake lever but not sure about this.

Thanks Lewisner. It's certainly interesting that the decisions made when the line was first built continued largely unchanged despite their apparent operational inconvenience.

Ex LNER Y1/2 Sentinel shunter 68153 (the Driffield station shunter) has been deputised to retrieve a cattle van from Little Driffield siding and is seen approaching the crossing. Despite being close to the titular village (an offshoot of Driffield) and the large airfield there was neither a passenger station nor sidings to the airfield. The siding appears to have been mainly intended for Manure :eek: and doesn't appear to have had a loading ramp but I have provided it with one. Remarkably 68153 has survived and is preserved on the Middleton Railway near Leeds.* For some reason I can't get the BR crest and number to display, if anyone knows a solution please let me know !

Sentinel 68153 at Little Driffield (1) 31.5.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

68153 has taken the wagon and is ready to couple up to the brakevan. A future job is to get those point rods properly arranged with cranks etc.

Sentinel 68153 at Little Driffield (2) 31.5.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

The real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6P6X7WndkM

Last edited:
Those are excellent screenshots of Little Driffield Lewisner. Being an enthusiast for light and minor railway like I am those images of Little Driffield tick all the right boxes for me. I especially like your first screenshot with the long view down the empty road.

Swanage soon to be available on the DLS? - Trainz folk will be queuing up for that PLP.

Last edited:
Those are excellent screenshots of Little Driffield Lewisner. Being an enthusiast for light and minor railway like I am those images of Little Driffield tick all the right boxes for me. I especially like your first screenshot with the long view down the empty road.

Swanage soon to be available on the DLS? - Trainz folk will be queuing up for that PLP.

Thanks KotangaGirl, the Malton & Driffield was intended to be part of a double track main line from Newcastle to Hull but tragically it ended up as the closest thing to a light railway that the North Eastern Railway owned. You can see on some of my shots the distance between the fences was adequate for two tracks and many of the bridges were built to take 2 tracks. The stations were built by local contractors who were used to building farmhouses which gave them their unique charm.

The texturing is done... The scenery is done... The trackwork is done... All that remains now is some brand new, never seen before rolling stock to arrive and some final running in to ensure everything works.

All being well, see you Summer 2022! Next stop, Swanage:
7zhs2SI.jpg

KPwVWoU.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks tdstead. One more for now; I'm working with a couple of people on getting some decent pictures and perhaps a video showcasing it before it is released.

0XpCi8F.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

LNER Gresley P2 2007 Prince Of Wales thunders through Sledmere & Fimber station heading north. It never happened in real life but Trainz is better than real life !

Prince Of Wales at Sledmere & Fimber 1.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

And later passes Burdale station with the quarry locomotive Barclay 0-4-0 "Burdale" simmering outside her shed. The Nissen hut on the right was known as the "Tin Tabernacle" and housed quarry workers.

Prince Of Wales at Burdale 1.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back