UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

One more post before bed. A tad fictional but adding it to the Dearnby Lore:

During the early years of WW2 the Southern Railway allocated many of it's locomotives to help the LNER and LMS compensate for their lack of locomotives available to handle goods trains and other war related services. However, this inadvertently left the SR with the issue of being unable to free up any of their Bulleid 4-6-2 Pacific Classes to other regions of the network. Dearnby was hit especially hard by this due to the rerouting of Troop Trains from Southampton and Liverpool in order to avoid targeting by the Luftwaffe.

As a show of gratitude, the LNER bent their own rules a bit and loaned the SR three of their P2 Class 2-8-2 Express Locomotives to work the long distance Troop Trains to Liverpool and Kent. Dearnby received No. 2007 "Prince of Wales" on May 29th, 1941 and it immediately was put into service.

Upon receiving the P2, the workers were surprised that the big express engine had already been painted in SR Malachite Green. Whether this was a practical joke or a preemptive decision, the workmen of Dearnby deeply appreciated the lightening of their workload!

OGegHuD.jpg
[/IMG]

Jq38H2G.jpg
[/IMG]

lGw5U9W.jpg
[/IMG]

The P2 was repainted into Bulleid Sunshine Black the following year and served Dearnby well throughout the remainder of the war. Although Edward Thompson requested 2007 back in 1943 for reconversion into an A3/2, Dearnby managed to convince him to hold off until the war's end in 1945 before finally sending the Big Scottish Belle back home where she belonged.

Neat shots, Tanker. Thanks for sharing them. I love to see Dearnby supporting the war effort. Those Churchill tanks are sorely needed on the continent.

There is lots of action in the shed. It really looks nice and busy.

Always good to have fun with your trainset Tanker. Always good to see more of Dearnby as well; - one of the classic great routes for Trainz.

The Malton Dodger heads for Malton past Garton Slack level crossing. The North Eastern Railway made use in East Yorkshire of archaic revolving board gate signals and many of these survived until the early 1980s. I am using a Festiniog Railway disc signal as a stand in for the board signal.

G5 at Garton Slack 28.4.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

I don't think I've seen anybody model limekilns on a route before lewisner. Nice work.
#5447. Good work too with Garton Slack level crossing. Period and regional variations with signals at level crossings is an often neglected subject in Trainz.

ADQrt00.jpg

Last edited:
Well your lime kilns certainly don't look like they're made from assets that weren't supposed to fit together, - the final result is very convincing. Thanks for posting the photo of the prototype.

Last edited:
@ lewisner - I am really glad you posted that, I love a good 'kit bash', and that bit of work is superb. The problem though is that a route I thought was pretty much finished turns out not to be. I'm off to blatantly steal your very excellent idea....

Cheers ;)

@Dermmy Thanks, this pic below shows the construction. The kiln opening is CL BL Tunnel, the top wall is DS Stone Wall 16 8ft and the side walls are CL Caernarfon Wall - 02 Raised. There's an interesting Youtube video - Part 1 of 3 - where they fire up a repaired kiln. Apparently the kilns emitted Carbon Monoxide and tramps would lie beside them for the heat and sometimes be killed by the fumes or even fall into the kiln. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpZsvYygF8&t=14s

North Grimston Lime Kilns by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
There is a very old kiln in the bush not all that far from where I live, up to about 10 years ago it was 'explorable' but has since been pretty effectively sealed off. It was a natural cave which had a vent blasted down to it, but the information sign tells us that cattle used to gather round the vent in winter for warmth, and occasionally one would fall in!

I googled lime kiln images after I saw lewisner's rendition and discovered that the dug-into-a-hillside sort were fairly common, so mine went a slightly different route than the one above, though still using mostly Malc's assets, backed up by a couple of masontaylor's period factory/warehouse buildings...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Mine is based on four road bridges, bodged into the hillside with various wall and texture splines....

...and sits in a corner of the route which previously contained a pretty inappropriate factory, which was left there simply because I couldn't think what else to do with the space. Why I didn't think of a kiln myself is almost embarrassing given the nature of the route, but problem now solved...

The name on the facility is a tip-of-the-hat to he who inspired the venture, and I'm off to fix some wonky fencing, floating track, and a slightly sunken chimey!

Andy ;)

Last edited:
Now that's a really good addition for Dintdale Andy. I've only just remembered that Steve Flanders made a typical 1880s lime kiln and it's on the DLS: SF lime kilns <KUID:169585:40001>

GYn0Acx.jpg

Last edited:
guessing the period level crossing signs are paulz trainz?

tom

If you mean my screenshot Tom, they're my reskin of one of ChrisW's M&H Distant Signals to create a typical GER crossing gate signal. Lewisner is using one of Ed Heap's FS disc signals to represent a NER crossing gate signal.

There is a very old kiln in the bush not all that far from where I live, up to about 10 years ago it was 'explorable' but has since been pretty effectively sealed off. It was a natural cave which had a vent blasted down to it, but the information sign tells us that cattle used to gather round the vent in winter for warmth, and occasionally one would fall in!

I googled lime kiln images after I saw lewisner's rendition and discovered that the dug-into-a-hillside sort were fairly common, so mine went a slightly different route than the one above, though still using mostly Malc's assets, backed up by a couple of masontaylor's period factory/warehouse buildings...

Mine is based on four road bridges, bodged into the hillside with various wall and texture splines....

...and sits in a corner of the route which previously contained a pretty inappropriate factory, which was left there simply because I couldn't think what else to do with the space. Why I didn't think of a kiln myself is almost embarrassing given the nature of the route, but problem now solveThe name on the facility is a tip-of-the-hat to he who inspired the venture, and I'm off to fix some wonky fencing, floating track, and a slightly sunken chimey!​

Andy ;)

Fabulous shots Dermmy and I think I will have to change the ground textures in my quarries to something similar to what you are using as mine look far too clean.

Here is a loaded chalk train waiting to leave Burdale quarry which kept the line open till 1958. Unfortunately ICI changed the type of chalk they required and it's owner wasn't prepared to invest in machinery so the quarry closed otherwise the line might have survived till the Beeching era

Burdale Quarry 1.5.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

An empty train passes the huge chalk silo at nearby Wharram quarry. I used to use a grain silo here but having nothing else to do when COVID started I gritted my teeth and built it out of concrete wall splines (1.5 days work) then decided it was too tall so I rebuilt it. Although it still exists it is surrounded by forest so I haven't been able to do the loader behind it.

Wharram Quarry 1.5.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

The real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXV5CwgXbJM

@KotangaGirl thanks for the tip on the model :cool:

...having nothing else to do when COVID started I gritted my teeth and built it out of concrete wall splines (1.5 days work) then decided it was too tall so I rebuilt it...

I never would have picked that as built out of splines - amazing work!! Thanks also to yourself and Annie for the comments...

:)

Now that is quite some quarry Lewisner. And as for your chalk silo I never would have picked that it was fabricated from spines.

Back