UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Wow that last shot of Penzance is so accurate! Been there several times :)

It's made from a modern Gargle Earth image George. In fact the whole Cornish Mainline by Robert3a0 is based on modern ground data so it's not really the 1930s at all. For all its faults though it's still a spectacular route and I've certainly run trains all over it often enough. I started to do a corrected 1930s version between Penzance and Camborne, but ran out of energy and motivation with it.
Nice looking screenshots Andrew. I prefer the TANE version as well since the TS2019 'update' covered in masses of elephant grass looks like an abandoned line of railway and not the mainline to Penzance.

#5321 #5315 Your LMS route is coming along nicely George. It looks good.

#5318 Good to see your freelance Dales route again Andy. It's a great piece of landscape modelling.

#5317 Plenty of pre-grouping colour with your screenshots Tanker.

I'm not doing anything with Trainz at the moment as I seem to have lost interest in it. I know it's only because I'm not well and perhaps when i'm feeling better I'll make a return to Trainz again.

Last edited:
It's made from a modern Gargle Earth image George. In fact the whole Cornish Mainline by Robert3a0 is based on modern ground data so it's not really the 1930s at all. For all its faults though it's still a spectacular route and I've certainly run trains all over it often enough. I started to do a corrected 1930s version between Penzance and Camborne, but ran out of energy and motivation with it.
Nice looking screenshots Andrew. I prefer the TANE version as well since the TS2019 'update' covered in masses of elephant grass looks like an abandoned line of railway and not the mainline to Penzance.

#5321 #5315 Your LMS route is coming along nicely George. It looks good.

#5318 Good to see your freelance Dales route again Andy. It's a great piece of landscape modelling.

#5317 Plenty of pre-grouping colour with your screenshots Tanker.

I'm not doing anything with Trainz at the moment as I seem to have lost interest in it. I know it's only because I'm not well and perhaps when i'm feeling better I'll make a return to Trainz again.

Thanks Annie. I really appreciate your kind words and I hope you are feeling well enough to return to us soon. Getting to see your comments is an uplifting experience!

Honestly, most DEM Maps are built with modern elevation data these days. It always comes in handy to have a good amount of photographs of the areas you want to model so you can make the appropriate adjustments. The South London Route DEM that Frank made for me is a fantastic example of this. It's 99.8% accurate but the further you venture into London, the harder it is to account for every single change in elevation. I've had to make several adjustments to the leveling in order to get things right. It's all part of the fun of building an accurate route I guess.

Except Selhurst Depot. There's NOTHING fun about modeling Selhurst Depot and its Triangle Junction from Hell.

Thanks very much Tanker now you're cheering me up a bit. I'd only just taken all my Uk projects through to TRS22 when I hit a bad patch with not being well so after reading your encouraging words I thought I'd have a look at my WIP Penzance to Camborne & branches route instead of mopping about feeling sorry for myself. There's still one heck of a lot to do, but a good deal of the Penzance area is sorted out now with just the area around the terminus station still to do. I'm using OS maps from 1937 which means that a huge amount of the built up area around Penzance has had to be demolished and put back to being open fields.
Ideally I would like to take this project back to 1890, but that might be just a wee bit ambitious for me at the moment.

Iford Manor on a fitted goods having just left the goods sidings at Ponsandane.
HtxDBdw.jpg

Passing Longrock MPD. I still don't really understand how such a major landmark at Penzance got left off the original map.
Xk0DbDv.jpg

It was only in the BR dismal error, - sorry I mean the BR diesel era, - that the line from Marazion to Penzance was single track.
6dIAGwC.jpg

Thanks Steviez. The OS maps at the National Library of Scotland are a fantastic resource and I've made use of them for my some of my other projects as well. Taking the old West Cornwall line to Penzance back to the 1890s is fairly simple in one way as towns are a lot smaller and much of the countryside is open fields. I already have a very nice Cornish Brunel viaduct model that was made for me and mixed gauge trackwork isn't a problem either. It's the almost total lack of railway buildings from the correct period that's the problem. Pre-1900s Cornish railway buildings are nothing like Churchward era group standard GWR buildings so I'd have to get them made by someone. Perhaps I'll do that eventually, but for the present time I'm happy enough to have a go at representing how things were in the 1930s.

Nice screenshots, KotangaGirl! I really like that WIP route you have there!

Unfortunately, I'm feeling like I've had a falling through of sorts with Trainz, so I'm gonna take a break from it. I'm not gonna be perusing the forums for a bit, and I'm gonna shut myself off completely from Trainz for a bit. I simply feel like I need a break, and I'm feeling immense amounts of stress as things are changing significantly in my personal life. So... yeah. Gonna take a break. Probably not gonna browse the forums at all after Wednesday, and might return sometime in April.

I dunno. It's something personal and private that's causing me to take a break. Hope you all have/had a good day. Take care.

Andrew

Nice screenshots, KotangaGirl! I really like that WIP route you have there!

Unfortunately, I'm feeling like I've had a falling through of sorts with Trainz, so I'm gonna take a break from it. I'm not gonna be perusing the forums for a bit, and I'm gonna shut myself off completely from Trainz for a bit. I simply feel like I need a break, and I'm feeling immense amounts of stress as things are changing significantly in my personal life. So... yeah. Gonna take a break. Probably not gonna browse the forums at all after Wednesday, and might return sometime in April.

I dunno. It's something personal and private that's causing me to take a break. Hope you all have/had a good day. Take care.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. You take care now and we'll see you back here when you're ready.

Thanks. I’ll be looking around the forums for a few more days, and then I’ll take my break. Hope everything goes well for all Trainzers, and I hope to see you all again, fully re-energized, soon. Take care.

Thanks Annie! I'm glad I could give some words to encourage you! It would be too dim here if we didn't have you to brighten our day! :D

Your Cornish Route is looking spectacular. I'm especially impressed with that Iford Manor you have managed to get a hold of. Even after all these years, Paul's amazing models still hold up now!

Although it's nowhere in the same vein as your incredible Penzance to Cambourne, the work on the South London Route continues! Although it's still quite the bare bones route, that doesn't mean that trains can't be run on it!

q4ztD74.jpg
[/IMG]

rAqVdws.jpg
[/IMG]

Acq4vrz.jpg
[/IMG]

VVN9pjG.jpg
[/IMG]

hozZBHp.jpg
[/IMG]

I love that little G6. I really do. :)

Thanks Tanker, - yes 'Iford Manor' scrubbed up nicely and looks well and runs well despite its age. Manors were generally only occasional visitors to Penzance with Granges, Halls and Counties being the usual 4-6-0 classes assigned to Penzance. However 'Iford Manor' was assigned to 83G Penzance in 1957 when it was painted in lined black livery and that was good enough for me :)
I can keep on pottering along with scenic stuff with 'Penzance to Camborne' without getting too deeply involved and wearing myself out. It was nice to see it again too after having a break away from it for so long.

Although it's nowhere in the same vein as your incredible Penzance to Cambourne, the work on the South London Route continues! Although it's still quite the bare bones route, that doesn't mean that trains can't be run on it!

Don't knock yourself Tanker. Your South London project is going to be an incredible route. I wouldn't know where to begin with something like that. It's good that Frank was able to give you a hand by making the DEM map for you, but even so it's still a formidable project. Maps of the rail routes into London always look like a stirred up plate of spaghetti to my eyes!
As for Selhurst that's enough to make me want to go hide under my bed!

5sjM9jL.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at that Annie makes me feel the same

Tom
:D:hehe:

'Hook Norton Manor' was a Truro engine at the time period of my route so it was just visiting when I took this snap at Longrock MPD. The Manors' usual territory was the lightly laid former Cambrian Railway lines so they were never to be found in Cornwall in any great numbers. I really need to fix the cab window glass too.
HLOSkka.jpg

I am looking at some point soon to restart my Leicester to Burton Line 1930s project. I started it before but without a DEM, is there anyone who could help me out or give me some advice about this?

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the slow reply. It's on of the S&C mk1s, available on the DLS.

Cheers,

PLP

Ah, of course - should have spotted that they're riding too high on their bogies. Still, a reminder that they've soldiered on very successfully for 14 years.

Paul

Thanks Tanker, - yes 'Iford Manor' scrubbed up nicely and looks well and runs well despite its age. Manors were generally only occasional visitors to Penzance with Granges, Halls and Counties being the usual 4-6-0 classes assigned to Penzance. However 'Iford Manor' was assigned to 83G Penzance in 1957 when it was painted in lined black livery and that was good enough for me :)
I can keep on pottering along with scenic stuff with 'Penzance to Camborne' without getting too deeply involved and wearing myself out. It was nice to see it again too after having a break away from it for so long.

Don't knock yourself Tanker. Your South London project is going to be an incredible route. I wouldn't know where to begin with something like that. It's good that Frank was able to give you a hand by making the DEM map for you, but even so it's still a formidable project. Maps of the rail routes into London always look like a stirred up plate of spaghetti to my eyes!
As for Selhurst that's enough to make me want to go hide under my bed!

5sjM9jL.jpg

Thanks Annie!

Frank quite literally saved the project for me. I wouldn't be where I am without his help. The DEM is massive but it helps me portray an accurate picture of the Southern Region in the 1950s. He's going to help me with the other sections too. Next stop is North Coulsdon to Brighton!

Its Definitely not an easy task but the photo you posted really might help me pull it off!! :D The current DEM map doesn't appear to have the Maintenance Depot on it for some reason and ive had to lay most of the hell triangle by hand. This image seems to be both set in the proper era AND has the proper individual lines that I needed to know where every elevation goes!

Those embankments are going to be the worst part. I don't know if the embankments we have in Trainz currently are short enough to get that close to one another. It was a major problem I had when doing Merstham Tunnel and the Quarry Line. I might need to comission some assets to get made for this...

Thank You Annie! Building this may be as unpleasant as a root canal, but you've just given me the painkillers to get through! :hehe:

Last edited:
Thanks Annie!

Frank quite literally saved the project for me. I wouldn't be where I am without his help. The DEM is massive but it helps me portray an accurate picture of the Southern Region in the 1950s. He's going to help me with the other sections too. Next stop is North Coulsdon to Brighton!

Its Definitely not an easy task but the photo you posted really might help me pull it off!! :D The current DEM map doesn't appear to have the Maintenance Depot on it for some reason and ive had to lay most of the hell triangle by hand. This image seems to be both set in the proper era AND has the proper individual lines that I needed to know where every elevation goes!

Those embankments are going to be the worst part. I don't know if the embankments we have in Trainz currently are short enough to get that close to one another. It was a major problem I had when doing Merstham Tunnel and the Quarry Line. I might need to comission some assets to get made for this...

Thank You Annie! Building this may be as unpleasant as a root canal, but you've just given me the painkillers to get through! :hehe:

This is the map on the National Library of Scotland website Tanker https://maps.nls.uk/view/103314490 It's a 1913 edition map, but the NLS also has 25 inch to the mile OS maps for this area in 1930 and 1940s editions.
Only too glad to help :)

Some very nice screenshots, everyone!

Might be one of, if not my last post before I take my break - here's some screenshots of a classic from me: the LMS Duchess...
ikgkfKT.jpg

EWVAcTE.jpg

saHunto.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys the screenshots. Take care, and have a nice day.

Andrew

#5340 A Duchess in what looks like former GWR territory. Must be a rail tour. Nice screenshots Andrew, - you take care too.

Armstrong goods under steam testing on my WIP 1890s Minehead branch layout.

Gy51k48.jpg

YGTrw0M.jpg

5tRJW7A.jpg

SEmTOZ8.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots all!

Steam on the Looe branch!

2022-03-01_190240.jpg

Pulling away at Terras Crossing

2022-03-01_190931.jpg

Looe Station

2022-03-01_193142.jpg