UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

It absolutely is, in fact I have just this moment made my first ever engine spec using Bill's spreadsheet and after a little tinkering I feel I have a realistically modest yet reliable Johnson 3F. That particular 3F in the screenshot is one that was based at my local depot back in the LMS day, complete with correct allocation plate on the smoke box door.

It's a nice classic old model and this evening I purchased several for both the LMS and the BR versions of my Lickey bank layout. I know from books written about Lickey during the steam era that 3F's were a common sight on Lickey so that was a gap in my engine roster that needed filling. I'm going to have to do some engine numbers research to find suitable numbers for the new arrivals, but that's Ok. Nice that you've got your one numbered for an engine that was local to you.
It's strange though that the only model of this commonplace LMS locomotive is the one that Paul made a good few years ago now, but then that's about the same for most of the LMS models that are available for Trainz.

Modding and writing engine specs is interesting, but a lot of work with testing and trial runs to get them right. Very satisfying though.

By the way this was Paul's Valentines Day gift to me.

J4y6JPj.jpg

Last edited:
It's a nice classic old model and this evening I purchased several for both the LMS and the BR versions of my Lickey bank layout. I know from books written about Lickey during the steam era that 3F's were a common sight on Lickey so that was a gap in my engine roster that needed filling. I'm going to have to do some engine numbers research to find suitable numbers for the new arrivals, but that's Ok. Nice that you've got your one numbered for an engine that was local to you.
It's strange though that the only model of this commonplace LMS locomotive is the one that Paul made a good few years ago now, but then that's about the same for most of the LMS models that are available for Trainz.

Modding and writing engine specs is interesting, but a lot of work with testing and trial runs to get them right. Very satisfying though.

By the way this was Paul's Valentines Day gift to me.

J4y6JPj.jpg
who's that loco that has diesel's face and whats his name

Beautiful shots PLP.

So set myself the challenge of getting up the Lickey with realistic controls on a humble Johnson 3F. Lets just say... I think it was a bit much, I made it over 3/4 the way up but that last gradient just beat it. With a banker however! The pair of 3Fs did a grand job, never dropped below 15mph. Regulator fully open the whole way.

Closest single engine attempt!
D3o5sFa.jpg

Banker time!
hkUylki.jpg

AFOoOQY.jpg

VX9Xf8i.jpg

Made it!
fYLrQ4F.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration Annie!

Route is tlblade's

Beautiful shots PLP.

So set myself the challenge of getting up the Lickey with realistic controls on a humble Johnson 3F. Lets just say... I think it was a bit much, I made it over 3/4 the way up but that last gradient just beat it. With a banker however! The pair of 3Fs did a grand job, never dropped below 15mph. Regulator fully open the whole way.

Closest single engine attempt!
D3o5sFa.jpg

Banker time!
hkUylki.jpg

AFOoOQY.jpg

VX9Xf8i.jpg

Made it!
fYLrQ4F.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration Annie!

Route is tlblade's

Very excellent George! I must agree that the Johnson 3F is a very underrated 0-6-0 that is extremely overlooked in both Trainz and Railworks. If I ever get around to commissioning LMS locos for Camscott it will most definitely be near the top of my list - right after my NLR Stuff!

9YbxarX.jpg
[/IMG]

VNmfdKo.jpg
[/IMG]

Speaking of excellent LMS Locos, I took Connor's L&Y Dreadnought for another run on Dearnby 1920s. Running an express service to Dearnby Central after the usual Claughton's injectors failed. Passing through Dirncombe Junction, the Dreadnought passes one of the local Aberdares on a midday coal working. Is the driver our own Charlie Starkey? One could only hope so! :hehe:

bJzjIEN.jpg
[/IMG]

gx7DStf.jpg
[/IMG]

Some lovely screenshots from the LMS and Swanage I'm seeing! Excellent job, George & Parker!

Very excellent George! I must agree that the Johnson 3F is a very underrated 0-6-0 that is extremely overlooked in both Trainz and Railworks. If I ever get around to commissioning LMS locos for Camscott it will most definitely be near the top of my list - right after my NLR Stuff!

Speaking of excellent LMS Locos, I took Connor's L&Y Dreadnought for another run on Dearnby 1920s. Running an express service to Dearnby Central after the usual Claughton's injectors failed. Passing through Dirncombe Junction, the Dreadnought passes one of the local Aberdares on a midday coal working. Is the driver our own Charlie Starkey? One could only hope so! :hehe:

Thank you both!
Tanker, that is a beautiful set of shots, and has got me very excited Paul's Dreadnought tank that's in the works! He has been sending me the odd progress shot and it looks fantastic.

Indeed the humble Johnson/Deeley 0-6-0 2Fs and 3Fs were certainly the back bone of goods In the Midlands for a long time, and I imagine all over the country there were fleets of hard working 0-6-0s built as around 1900 keeping everything moving without complaint, I don't know much about the other 3 companies but im sure they have their reliable pre superheater 0-6-0 classes.

Kind regards,

George

Black 5 passes Ivatt tank at Foremark crossing.

Something a little different, apologies if you don't want this here. I thought better in here as its UK steam.
Messing around with effects on VEED

Last edited:
Very impressive!!

I've been want to do little videos like this to simulate trainspotting. Do you mind if I ask how you put this together or what software you used to pull this off? I'm extremely interested in this! :D

Hi Tanker! Thanks for the kind words! Of course, I use Twitch studio https://www.twitch.tv/broadcast/studio to record the footage, the I upload it to Veed.io https://www.veed.io/ (free website) there you can clip the ends, add the transition, and add the "old film" effect. Its quite simple actually, the trade off for being a free website is that lovely big watermark :hehe:

Georgem2010,
Having seen the wonderful screenshots of your attempts at the Lickey, and having heard Annie talk about working the grade at Lickey with some of her engines, I finally decided that I needed to check the route out and "take the challenge," so to speak.

It is a wonderfully done route, and I really like the looks of it. The trees go a bit transparent for SP4 114800, but that can be fixed at another time, and the real draw to the route is the challenge for the driver.

So, I pulled up a consist of ten 5 plank LMS wagons and a brake van, and tossed on the Fowler 3F 0-6-0t (Jinty) at the head. I dutifully loaded the wagons at the coal mine and then headed off for the climb. The consist looks like it was rated at 167 tons fully loaded.

My first attempt got me about halfway before I stalled out. I slid backwards down to the station and sat for a while, working up some steam, but this next time I didn't get very far up the incline.

I decided to restage almost back at the coal loop and drive forward again, to build up steam on the way. I also remembered that I needed to cut in the sand when I got close. I am forever forgetting to start up the sand, and it surely would be needed here. I got to the 20mph zone and felt pretty good, so on I went. I had the blower going and a fair bit of steam in the SC and boiler pressure wasn't great but looked like it might work. So, partway up, I was huffing and puffing, down to my knees at 5 mph, but still moving. I was running maybe 70% on the cutoff and 40% on the throttle, but eventually I ended up stopping.

Undaunted, I jockeyed the cutoff back and forth with the throttle at about 15%, and I got her started up again. Amazing. I then gently adjusted the cutoff back to about 70% and slowly increased the throttle up about 2 or 3% at a time, listening to the engine to see when it shifted to a "lower gear," so to speak. I managed to increase my speed until I was seemingly comfortable at about 7mph, and made it past the upper two signals, but again I started to lose speed and stalled out right about where your screenshot was.

I started playing around again with the cutoff, moving it back from 75% to very low, maybe 2-3%, and holding the throttle at about 12-15%. This got enough steam going and I was able to turn the wheels over again, and suddenly I was at 1mph and moving. I also noticed that my SC and boiler pressure were very much higher, so I pushed the throttle up to 100% with the cutoff at 75%, and low-and-behold, she really opened up. From a standing start on that wicked grade, I accelerated quickly and rolled into Blackwell at 30mph.

What an amazing challenge. I'm still not sure how I would make it in one throw, without stalling out, but I'm thinking that a lot more boiler pressure and a higher steam chest at the start would make that happen. I'm guessing there was some kind of magic that I accidentally triggered to be able to start from the stall, twice!, but it worked and I made it up the grade with only the 3F pulling. Crazy!

Looking back at the screenshots, though, it looks like I wasn't using the same engine as you were, as mine was a tank engine and your's had a tender.

It appears that I will have to try this all over again, haha. Which engine was it you were using?

Thanks again, and to all, for getting my curiosity up about trying this wonderful route and the extra challenge of running trains up it. It is a lot of fun and a great challenge.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks again, and to all, for getting my curiosity up about trying this wonderful route and the extra challenge of running trains up it. It is a lot of fun and a great challenge.

Regards,
Gary

Gary,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about your adventure up the Lickey! I am so pleased that we inspired you to give it a go. I am extremely impressed that you managed it. Doubly impressed that you managed 2 hill starts single engined as well! I certainly need to try it with the Jinty.

I was doing it in the Johnson 0-6-0 3F, so the same power rating as the Jinty, but an earlier and non-superheated locomotive, maybe this is why I needed assistance getting the train up! The particular model is one of Paulz Trainz from his website.

Which Jinty were you using in particular?

Reading your post really felt like I was hearing an account from a real driver and fireman back in 1940 struggling up the hill. Excellent!!

Kind regards,

George

George,
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the details of my adventure. It was a lot of fun and a wicked challenge. I've stalled out on hotshotjimmy's Wathdale and Fellbeck climb as well, hauling too much coal, and managed a hill start there too. Not so much technique as magic, I suppose. ;) And a lot of guesswork on the cutoff percentage versus the throttle.

I remember reading about some US engines that you would have to jockey the engine backwards first, and then quickly move the cutoff forward, almost sort of like rocking your car back and forth when it is stuck in the snow to get the momentum that you need to get unstuck. I think the trick is to somehow position the wheels just right so that there is enough forward momentum to roll them all the way over, and this gets you moving. So, there might be a bit of rolling backwards just a touch to find the right position, but you end up using the brake, then starting the dance between the cutoff and throttle and quickly getting off the brake so you don't stop your forward roll.

I was using the below listed 3F.

<kuid2:44090:1041:43> Fowler 3F 0-6-0T (Jinty) BR black paulhobbs shows as the author

Kind regards,
Gary

Good shots SRKing, I downloaded the Lickey last night after seeing everyone else had tried it but I was disappointed - the gradient itself is actually 1 in 28 in game and not 1 in 37 as in real life so it needs to be changed.

It wasn't a bad attempt at all, but a brand new version probably wouldn't go amiss. Could be an interesting side project from Swanage...

Cheers,

PLP

However, for now we return to Dorset and we catch 777 Sir Lamiel on a Swanage to Corfe Castle service. I've been testing out a new espec and it is very good indeed:
krGfqh5.jpg

8o0fRKQ.jpg

aH3i5vB.jpg

6KWSG2h.jpg

672IkOF.jpg

GfbHxkJ.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

I've done some rebuilding work on Lickey, but I haven't touched the actual gradient itself. I've revised the trackplan to that of the early LMS period as best I could and installed the missing pointwork at Bromsgrove and fixed the signals, but with Bromsgrove and Blackwell yards being too short it's not really possible to make a complete job of it. At least now it's possible to properly replicate the return of banking engines to Bromsgrove which was impossible before.
The major elephant in the room is that the wagon repair works is entirely missing at Bromsgrove. I've assembled a much too small representation of it, but to properly model it would require nearly all of Bromsgrove to be extensively rebuilt.
I'm going to ask for permission to upload my version once I've done some more work on it, but that might be awhile since I'm not well at the moment.

Really good screenshots everyone and it's always nice to see more of Swanage PLP.

#5274, Loved your tales from the footplate Heinrich.

Back