UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Great shot SRKing.

Two from me of a small but nevertheless important project - I've built custom platform number signs for Swanage as the plain white ones looked awful and they really do add character. Now if only Jay did a glass version of his canopy!

I'm just seeing if they will be accepted to the DLS, but before and after shots below for comparison:
FDK5vwf.jpg

9e0BRrY.jpg

**Edit** They have been accepted and will be available within 24 hours.

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
Great shot SRKing.

Two from me of a small but nevertheless important project - I've built custom platform number signs for Swanage as the plain white ones looked awful and they really do add character. Now if only Jay did a glass version of his canopy!

I'm just seeing if they will be accepted to the DLS, but before and after shots below for comparison:
FDK5vwf.jpg

9e0BRrY.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

You made those?

Oh goodness thank you Parker! My station numbers are looking the same all over the SR Project and these will be desperately welcome on both it and the South London Section!

Here's hoping they make it to the DLS with neary a problem! :D

Hi Annie!

It is indeed! I am working on a project with Pilotwoo to bring the Rivera Line to Trainz and I happened across it when I was trolling the DLS for content. I must say it's very interesting and I don't think it would take much effort at all to dress it up for a TRS19/ TRS22 Standardized version!

I understand your reasons for being absent. I hope you are feeling better soon. Things aren't the same without our GER Expert among our ranks! :D

Thanks very much Tanker. It's our Summer here and the Summer heat makes my narcolepsy symptoms worse so I spend much more time brain fogged and asleep. Temperatures have started to cool down a little so as I've started to feel a bit more well I've been working on my Trainz layouts again.

I did take a look at 'The SR/GWR Plymouth Tavistock and Launceston Railway', but there were so many issues with in TRS22 I just deleted it again. I may come back to it during our Autumn though when I have a bit more energy and can think straight.

After running a test install of TRS22 for a while I took the plunge and updated my TRS19 SP4 install where I keep most of my Uk routes to TRS22. I didn't really see the point with going to TRS19 SP5. I still have my old 'Tinware' copy of TS2019 installed though and that will never change or be further upgraded.

I ran some trains about on 'Ashington' this morning and these are some random snaps from that session. My rebuilt version of Ashington remains a firm favourite of mine and is home to most of my legacy 1950s BR engines and rolling stock with a definite WR flavour.

Entering Castleton station from the branch. Apart from some very small issues which should be easy to fix all my old legacy locos and rolling stock work just fine in TRS22. Non corridor 'subbies' and 3MT by Paulz Trainz

VSwpQVG.jpg

Qd2EjgL.jpg

County on a lunch time service to Bath. The County is Chris's and the Mk1's are by Paulz Trainz. The venting steam 5th coach down marks out the Kitchen Car.

fYV8Skq.jpg

The wonderful ex-GWR AEG diesel railcar at work on the Ashington branch. This is one of a very very small handful of diesels that I can actually stand. With my chosen mid to late 1950s time period on 'Ashington' I'm representing a change over trial from steam hauled passenger services to a railcar service so some steam hauled passenger trains are still being run. Passenger patronage is still good, - mostly because I've made sure it's almost impossible to get anywhere between the towns on the branch by road. And there's rumours of alien abductions happening to anyone fool enough to try to drive all the way to Castleton.

B3P8v01.jpg

Branch passenger service leaving Castleton for Ashington. 2MT and coaches by Paulz Trainz. I'm really going to have to do something about the strange new modern error passengers which don't suit the 1950s at all.

I20ElBH.jpg

1zpWNml.jpg

Ashington signal box. An older model by Paulz Trainz based on the signal box at Gara Bridge with texture touch ups and additions. I didn't want yet another GWR group standard signal box for Ashington so this one filled the bill nicely.

qE4nmfS.jpg

Last edited:
You made those?

Oh goodness thank you Parker! My station numbers are looking the same all over the SR Project and these will be desperately welcome on both it and the South London Section!

Here's hoping they make it to the DLS with neary a problem! :D

Great screenshots Annie!

@Tanker yes I made them last night, only SketchUp models so some may say too heavy on polys but they look the part. And with the letters being 3D they protrude from the surface ever so slightly which I think looks good.

As they are SketchUp I have only made no. 1 & 2 signs as they are non renameable, but if you need more let me know and I can make them and upload.

Cheers,

PLP

I've often been accused of paying too much attention to detail, especially where it doesn't matter. And it's true, I probably do - but it's only because I want something as close to the real thing as I can get.

On that premise, I've redone the yard at Corfe Castle to show the new tarmacked area by the goods shed. I've used a stone wall spline to represent the individual bricks that form the border between the tarmac and the (in real life pebbles) lighter surface and I'm quite pleased with the result. Not something you'd necessarily notice at first glance but nevertheless to me it feels right. I use Swanage as an escape from real life so my own virtual slice of heaven has to be as close as I can get - it's also extremely satisfying managing to get it looking like the real thing.

njZZxm6.jpg

Next up, Corfe Castle station master's garden!

Cheers,

PLP

I'm guilty of exactly the same thing on the WSR - it's my escape from everyday life, and the closer to the real thing I can get it, the happier I am. End result is I end up in a continuous cycle of random improvements as my abilities and the games capabilities involved and I love doing it - but the route never gets released. You have been warned! :)

Meanwhile, Braunton runs tender first on an afternoon down train near Roebuck Farm:

51862618632_01f89f0ed7_k.jpg

Great shot SRKing.

FDK5vwf.jpg

9e0BRrY.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

I wonder if a mixture of Blender 3.0 and PBR textures would give the same effect at a lower machine impact?

Cheerio John

Hi John,

Possibly, although on the majority of PCs today the impact is negligible.

Below is another small project - the new signal box nameboard at Corfe Castle:
djAtp1A.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Hi John,

Possibly, although on the majority of PCs today the impact is negligible.

Below is another small project - the new signal box nameboard at Corfe Castle:

Cheers,

PLP

But the laptops are becoming more capable. I have a Dell business one with an intel IRIS GPU, a lot more capable than the old integrated graphics but you still need to watch out for the polys. There are a lot more laptops than gaming machines these days.

Cheerio John

Exactly, so if they're becoming more capable then we can be a little more relaxed with the polys.

SketchUp is always going to be high but they run okay on my machine. If people download the route and they don't run as well then they can always replace them with something else but I don't think anyone should notice any impact.

Cheers,

PLP

I've often been accused of paying too much attention to detail, especially where it doesn't matter. And it's true, I probably do - but it's only because I want something as close to the real thing as I can get.

On that premise, I've redone the yard at Corfe Castle to show the new tarmacked area by the goods shed. I've used a stone wall spline to represent the individual bricks that form the border between the tarmac and the (in real life pebbles) lighter surface and I'm quite pleased with the result. Not something you'd necessarily notice at first glance but nevertheless to me it feels right. I use Swanage as an escape from real life so my own virtual slice of heaven has to be as close as I can get - it's also extremely satisfying managing to get it looking like the real thing.

<picture snipped>

Next up, Corfe Castle station master's garden!

Cheers,

PLP

I tend to be the same with my pre-WW1 Norfolk layout which is my own escape from reality and a world of my own creating that I wouldn't mind inhabiting. There's all kinds of details in places that no one but me would know that they are there.

It's always good to see the work you've been doing on Swanage PLP.

Exactly, so if they're becoming more capable then we can be a little more relaxed with the polys.

SketchUp is always going to be high but they run okay on my machine. If people download the route and they don't run as well then they can always replace them with something else but I don't think anyone should notice any impact.

Cheers,

PLP

I think you missed the point. Traditionally the mainstream of Trainz was played on machines with a dedicated GPU with a 3D score of roughly 10,000. ie GTX 1060. However the IRIS laptops are now main stream for business have a 3D score of 1,700 which is more than enough to run Trainz with the sliders set back. Certainly they are a lot more powerful than the Intel series 4000 which I designed Middleton for laptops to run on. They only had a 3D score of 332.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

There are gaming laptops but number wise I suspect there are a lot more IRIS GPUed laptops than machines with a GTX1060 or better.

However you are following tradition for many years many Trainz content creators took the view if it runs on my liquid nitrogen cooled machine then it's fine. Some still do.

Cheerio John

Hi John,

Whilst I agree with the concept of making efficient use of resources, not using more polys than necessary etc, the logical conclusion to your argument is that we should be using billboard trees and making models with square wheels and boilers.

This is a highly detailed prototypical route (and I speak as a beta tester) which will need a high end graphics card to run it. In the context of the the number of polys used in the foliage alone required to accurately recreate the Swanage Branch the number of extra polys used by a couple of Sketchup assets is statistically insignificant. Tom did put out a request for someone to make these assets, and no-one was forthcoming - so he's done what he can.

Meanwhile, here's another screenshot full of high poly assets and speedtrees because I gave up playing TRS2004 a long time ago and invested in the hardware to use later versons of the game to their full potential :)

34046 leaves Minehead with the last train of the day to Bishop's Lydeard. The loco will have it's work cut - in addition to the normal 6 coach set, the four coach Quantock Belle dining set has been added behind the loco.

51863318452_6a1dc6e0a9_k.jpg

I rode on this actual train in 2008 and I'm still not sure how it happened, as according to the WSR rule book the maximum load for a Bulleid Light Pacific over the branch is nine Mk1s, and this train was ten. The loco handled it superbly though.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Whilst I agree with the concept of making efficient use of resources, not using more polys than necessary etc, the logical conclusion to your argument is that we should be using billboard trees and making models with square wheels and boilers.

This is a highly detailed prototypical route (and I speak as a beta tester) which will need a high end graphics card to run it. In the context of the the number of polys used in the foliage alone required to accurately recreate the Swanage Branch the number of extra polys used by a couple of Sketchup assets is statistically insignificant. Tom did put out a request for someone to make these assets, and no-one was forthcoming - so he's done what he can.

Meanwhile, here's another screenshot full of high poly assets and speedtrees because I gave up playing TRS2004 a long time ago and invested in the hardware to use later versons of the game to their full potential :)

34046 leaves Minehead with the last train of the day to Bishop's Lydeard. The loco will have it's work cut - in addition to the normal 6 coach set, the four coach Quantock Belle dining set has been added behind the loco.

51863318452_6a1dc6e0a9_k.jpg

I rode on this actual train in 2008 and I'm still not sure how it happened, as according to the WSR rule book the maximum load for a Bulleid Light Pacific over the branch is nine Mk1s, and this train was ten. The loco handled it superbly though.

No the logical conclusion is if you can't tell the difference in the game then try to use the lowest impact asset. I must play and see what I can come up with in .PBR for signs when I get sometime.

Cheerio John

If you can do a low poly version John then you've done better than me, but I can only use SketchUp unfortunately so my assets will always have higher polys. Might not be for everyone, I get that, but as 2995valliant said Swanage will be for high end machines as it's an asset intensive route.

Corfe Castle still needs a sign and I don't think my modelling skills are quite up to it so if you could do I'd take my hat off to you!

Excellent shot 2995valliant! The WSR is looking as good as ever, same goes for Braunton! Out of curiosity, is the Quantock Belle still running?

A new sign for Swanage - probably the last for now unless I can think of anything else that is missing.

SZuMEGi.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
#5137. Always nice to see anything for the Minehead branch Val. I've been pegging away slowly at a late 19th century version based on the old TS2004 Turks Castle route with corrected track plans and as much as I can figure out from old OS Maps and photos.

Great screenshots Annie!

@Tanker yes I made them last night, only SketchUp models so some may say too heavy on polys but they look the part. And with the letters being 3D they protrude from the surface ever so slightly which I think looks good.

As they are SketchUp I have only made no. 1 & 2 signs as they are non renameable, but if you need more let me know and I can make them and upload.

Cheers,

PLP

Much appreciated Parker! I'm doing well with Jayholland's BR/SR/LBSCR buildings and equipment but there are still a few things left unaccounted for - signs being one of them. The 1 and 2 are more than enough for me at this present time, but if you ever feel like doing ones for platforms 3 and 4 I definitely wouldn't be against it. ;)

Thanks very much Tanker. It's our Summer here and the Summer heat makes my narcolepsy symptoms worse so I spend much more time brain fogged and asleep. Temperatures have started to cool down a little so as I've started to feel a bit more well I've been working on my Trainz layouts again.

I did take a look at 'The SR/GWR Plymouth Tavistock and Launceston Railway', but there were so many issues with in TRS22 I just deleted it again. I may come back to it during our Autumn though when I have a bit more energy and can think straight.

Thank you Annie and it's good to see your Ashington Branch again! Looking splendid as always, I see! :D

Personally, what drew me to the PT&LR is the inclusion of Okehampton as that particular region is going to be on my SR Project Route since it's part of the LSWR Network. I wanted to get a better feel for the area and how it would connect to the rest of the network overall. Either way it's a very interesting find and I definitely had quite a bit of fun with it! :hehe:

PLL in TANE: Ex-NSR M Class No.1436 on a Circular Working for commuters from Etruria.

7UpuYfo.jpg
[/IMG]

fGssrve.jpg
[/IMG]

S2uqXSF.jpg
[/IMG]

u4AEdAb.jpg
[/IMG]

VdRCt4W.jpg
[/IMG]

CH4J96F.jpg
[/IMG]