UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Congratulations on reaching 75E - Three Bridges MPD Tanker. No doubt you deserve a nice holiday at Dearnby after all that.

Excellent shots Annie! I had no idea the 850s were Broad Gauge compatible! A very interesting layout indeed!

The '850' is running on the standard gauge side of the mixed gauge track. The larger Armstrong 'Buffalo' class 0-6-0ST's were made in both SG and Broad Gauge varieties, but the 850's were always standard gauge engines. Fun fact: the '850' class were the only standard gauge GWR engines to have never carried 'Great Western' or any other markings of ownership on their saddle tanks. Brunel had always maintained that the GWR didn't need to write the company name on any of their engines because, 'people know who we are'. So I don't know if it was by design or a decision at Swindon Works, but the '850' class became the last engines to follow this principle. During the early 1950s one class member ended up with GWR on its tank sides because it was hired out to make a film, but that certainly wasn't an official thing and I'm sure the poor '850' was forced into it.

knucklesnvector's '850' class needs its texture library to be amended for what is a reasonably nice model to be true to the prototype.

ijwrYYB.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on reaching 75E - Three Bridges MPD Tanker. No doubt you deserve a nice holiday at Dearnby after all that.

The '850' is running on the standard gauge side of the mixed gauge track. The larger Armstrong 'Buffalo' class 0-6-0ST's were made in both SG and Broad Gauge varieties, but the 850's were always standard gauge engines. Fun fact: the '850' class were the only standard gauge GWR engines to have never carried 'Great Western' or any other markings of ownership on their saddle tanks. Brunel had always maintained that the GWR didn't need to write the company name on any of their engines because, 'people know who we are'. So I don't know if it was by design or a decision at Swindon Works, but the '850' class became the last engines to follow this principle. During the early 1950s one class member ended up with GWR on its tank sides because it was hired out to make a film, but that certainly wasn't an official thing and I'm sure the poor '850' was forced into it.

knucklesnvector's '850' class needs its texture library to be amended for what is a reasonably nice model to be true to the prototype.

ijwrYYB.jpg

Thanks for the praise Annie! I still have a long way to go before I get to Victoria but I am pretty happy with how everything is going so far. I'm going to have to navigate the tangled mess of LBSCR and SECR lines once I get to Redhill and beyond, but I have been able to find a good overlay of maps from the NLS so that should help!

I can understand Brunel's thinking at the time. During his era the GWR held the title of 'Fastest Express In The World' with their Flying Dutchman service. I never knew Broad Gauge locos could max out at 80 MPH!

Regarding the 850, I can definitely believe that it was hired out for a film after seeing the Titfield Thunderbolt and Oh Mr. Porter movies myself.

I've always been a fan of UK Steamers in movies but the one in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang irks me with its baffling selection. A J94 (with GWR Painted on its side!) with a SECR Birdcage Coach and LMR Guards Van?! And it's supposed to be in Kent, a Wainwright H would have served just as well.

Anyways, enough of my madness. I think your Minehead dual gauge route is wonderful and I can't wait to see more pics of it!! :D

I've always been a fan of UK Steamers in movies but the one in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang irks me with its baffling selection. A J94 (with GWR Painted on its side!) with a SECR Birdcage Coach and LMR Guards Van?! And it's supposed to be in Kent, a Wainwright H would have served just as well.

Probably filmed on the Longmoor Military Railway (They had all that stock and it would explain the brakevan initials). They did a lot of filming there as the Army could get away with things that would never be allowed on a Mainline railway. If you've never seen it I suggest checking out clips of the railway scenes from The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery that were also filmed there.

A favourite classic film of mine is Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines which features a brief scene where a plane lands on top of a train hauled by a Highland Jones goods.

Probably filmed on the Longmoor Military Railway (They had all that stock and it would explain the brakevan initials). They did a lot of filming there as the Army could get away with things that would never be allowed on a Mainline railway. If you've never seen it I suggest checking out clips of the railway scenes from The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery that were also filmed there.

A favourite classic film of mine is Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines which features a brief scene where a plane lands on top of a train hauled by a Highland Jones goods.

Interesting Ed. It still confuses me why they would change the initials for the loco to begin with. The original story for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was set in Dover (or so I believed) so it would probably be more fitting to paste the SECR initials on the side.

Then again, this is a cinematic production company who most likely cares little for railway accuracy. I appear to be reading too much into it. :hehe:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Recently I have been exporting some of my North Eastern Railway models; three of them are here:

Here we see a G5 0-4-4T No. 1759, pulling a local passenger train somewhere near Darlington, being overtaken by an express headed by B13 No. 761 and C6 No. 742; other items I have exported include a J21, J25 and a Raven C7, with several other items remaining.

These will be released as a mega pack to start with, all in NER livery, after which I will do more liveries for the individual locomotives.

That is all,
Connor

unknown.png

Oh! Interesting!

I've been putting some time into my Blythe Route and I could definitely use these for a Pre-Grouping variant if I can make it work!

Thanks for the update Connor! I can't wait to see the megapack!

Re post #4588 KotangaGirl
Crowcombe, looking good Annie, something in the name of that station makes me think the next time I visit the WSR. I should get off there and find the nearby pub.

re post #4589 stepney55
Looking good, many thanks.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

That's a nice little scene in your first screenshot Ken with the platform signs being changed over. And one of your MET 'sparkers' taking the limelight in your second screenshot. I bet that's a good location to do a little trainspotting.

Crowcombe Heathfield station and surroundings is getting close to being completed, - or as much as any layout can be said to be completed, - and I'll be moving on along the line to Stogumber and doing any fix-ups that might be needed there as well as changing over the trackwork. I don't know about pubs in the area in the late 1880's, but you might be in luck in our own century as there's a whole lot more buildings to be seen on the ground in our time than there were in the late 19th century.

JMpc2rB.jpg

Midland Compound at Hellifield

As usual, great stuff from Evilcrow and Kotangagirl.
Finally giving edh6's Midland Johnson Compound an outing on the S&C.
Captured at Hellifield.

Thanks for the nice comments Frank. I'm certainly having fun with getting back to working on Minehead again.

As lovely as Ed's Midland Compound is I haven't given it a run myself yet and it certainly does look fine indeed in your screenshot.

Midland Johnson Compound at Settle junction

Deserved praise in my opinion Annie. You have been doing some good work.
The Compound taking to the long drag at Settle Junction.

The fireman will have been working hard since Hellifield to build up the fire and there will be no let up for some time yet as the loco climbs with its express train to the summit.
No need for a gym membership back then and on a summer's day the footplate would be baking hot.

re post #4593 borderreiver

Thanks for the compliment Frank. You show the Compound to goodly effect, those cabs must have been a tad cold in winter though over the S & C !!

Still in TANE

92134, thankfully this 9F is still with us and real world should make a visit to the GCR gala very soon.

Cheers, Ken

Wow! Now that is a great looking screenshot Ken.

Yes the firemen on the S&C would have certainly earned their wages on the Long Drag Frank.

Great shots by evilcrow, KotangaGirl and borderreiver, all three of them now appear to be the stalwarts of the UK pre BR blue screenshots!

Rob.

Thanks very much Rob. Winding back the clock a little more with giving the 'Leo' class 2-4-0ST 'Sagittarius' a run coupled to a collection of 1850's rolling stock. Even before the paint was dry on the first members of the class it was realised that they weren't going to be up to much in their tender engine form so were rebuilt not long after as saddle tanks. For much of their lives they were loaned out to other Broad Gauge lines in need of additional engines and eleven of them worked on the South Devon Railway until they were able to sort themselves out with their own engines. They worked for a while on the Metropolitan Broad Gauge lines around London and did well there until the GWR fell out with the Met and after that they found work on various branchlines. As these branchlines were progressively converted to standard gauge they had less and less work to do and they were withdrawn early in the 1870s along with many other early GWR engines that were culled around the same time.
It would be very unlikely for a 'Leo' class to have ever worked on the Minehead branch, but I fancied giving 'Sagittarius' a bit of a run.

zt7XZoz.jpg

QJvXjpQ.jpg

Hello Annie, A snapshot of a period a very long time in the past. "Leo" looks rather different to the US locos I saw of a similar vintage preserved at the Baltimore Museum eight years ago. So, what are the descriptions of the rolling stock it is hauling? The third one in the consist looks like it could be a horsebox.

re post #4593 borderreiver

Thanks for the compliment Frank. You show the Compound to goodly effect, those cabs must have been a tad cold in winter though over the S & C !!

Still in TANE

92134, thankfully this 9F is still with us and real world should make a visit to the GCR gala very soon.

Cheers, Ken

Incredible shot, Ken! I would like to know - what are your graphics settings that you set to make these absolutely sublime screenshots?

Back