UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

I'm not entirely convinced by the 'model railway' approach to Trainz, but in it's favour it cuts massively down on the amount of scenery that needs to be placed, concetrating attention back to the trains and right-of-way, which is, after all, what it's all supposedly about anyway...

Screenshot is from what started out as a quick-and-dirty play with the 'Minories' classic, but just keeps growing....

<picture snipped>
Andy ;)

And that's the big advantage of the model railway approach Andy. If you have an idea in your head for a particular scene or just the area around a particular station you can concentrate on that instead of having to model the whole darn county. I really must say though that the port you built in your screenshot is a great piece of digital railway modelling.

re post # 4499 KotangaGirl
Best of luck with the Ivatt tank in TRS2019 Annie. I might have a rare visit to TRS2019 and see what I can come up with on Jack's Ivatt 2-6-0 loco.

Still in TANE.

Wow I do like that engine shed screenshot with Jack's Ivatt 2-6-0 as the focus. The touch of an oily sheen on the loco, - well I can just about smell the oil, hot metal and coal smoke, - it's like being there standing in the yard.

With my reworked version of Jack's 2-6-2T I changed m.thumpenv for m.gloss with 5% reflection to lift the texturing away from being a dead matt finish and give it a very slight sheen. With the horrible jelly coat that TRS19 made of the original loco's normal maps now gone it's now possible to appreciate the work Jack put into this digital model.

Edit: I think I'll do another clone with 10% reflection and see what that looks like. Once I have that figured out I'll see what I can do with the Ivatt 2-6-0.

Last edited:
Life took over I'm afraid. Wound up doing a CS degree and became a software developer. Since then I've just not had the time to pick it back up and my skills have degraded to the point that I don't remember how to use Blender...

I browse the forums from time to time still. I do appreciate seeing my old assets still in use 6 years later.

Thanks, Jack

Your models are some of the reason I started taking Trainz seriously Jack. I ran your Ivatt 2MT and Holden J69 more times than I can count back in the day!

My interest may have moved to the South of England but I never forget my roots. Thank you for the amazing content you put out. The 2MT Tanks are going to be a big part of branchline operations on the Brighton Route and on many other routes for years to come!

UP33tC4.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for them Jack. :D

Great stuff Andy. I was wondering what that tank engine was lurking in the background?

Paul

That would be a SECR R1 Class Tank Paul. These little sluggers kept the Folkstone Harbour Branch running for most of its existence. Deceptively powerful tank engines too!

Can't wait to extend to Dover to add these little buggers to the roster. :)

One more post before bed! Camscott finished the final two LBSCR Locos out of the pack - the C2x and K Class! Their SR liveries consist of Maunsell Olive, Maunsell Black and Bulleid Sunshine Black.

RagNqXc.jpg
[/IMG]

oE5NHcD.jpg
[/IMG]

MIzHakk.jpg
[/IMG]

7CjUYjA.jpg
[/IMG]

Both are absolutely perfect in their SR liveries and I put them to good work on the Brighton and Dearnby and District Routes.

j9D9egt.jpg
[/IMG]

lpffLxd.jpg
[/IMG]

833dcCl.jpg
[/IMG]

Dtq0zaR.jpg
[/IMG]

LqrSKUA.jpg
[/IMG]

gMrSTV0.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice shots, but I do have to ask: are the SR C2Xs private or is a release planned? I couldn't find them in the freeware folder, that's why I asked

Nice shots, but I do have to ask: are the SR C2Xs private or is a release planned? I couldn't find them in the freeware folder, that's why I asked

They'll be freeware like the rest of the LBSCR Locos. I just commissioned these from Camscott so it could be a while before they make it to the Freeware page.

Last edited:
Tanker46,
Those are really great shots of all the engines. They look wonderful! :cool: The usual excellent job by Camscott.

Judging from the number of people on the platform, admiring the engines, I'd say they are a big hit!

Regards,
Gary

Re post #4506 Tanker46
We have plenty to thank Tanker46 for !!! Many THANKS.
re post #4503 KotangaGirl
Hello Annie, see attached screenie for IMeditor settings that I applied to each of the .im files as shown highlighted in yellow for Jacks's Ivatt (did not seem to work so well on the tender!!).
I also darkened the texture files by about 10% in Paint.Net. You need to use the "Alpha Transform" plug-in to access the texture files, remembering to reset when finished.
You can leave anything to do with glass windows and loco numbers unchanged. This is for TANE and the loco will still show up in TRS19 replete with the "jelly coat" i'm afraid.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Re post #4506 Tanker46
re post #4503 KotangaGirl
Hello Annie, see attached screenie for IMeditor settings that I applied to each of the .im files as shown highlighted in yellow for Jacks's Ivatt (did not seem to work so well on the tender!!).
I also darkened the texture files by about 10% in Paint.Net. You need to use the "Alpha Transform" plug-in to access the texture files, remembering to reset when finished.
You can leave anything to do with glass windows and loco numbers unchanged. This is for TANE and the loco will still show up in TRS19 replete with the "jelly coat" i'm afraid.

<picture snipped>

Cheers, Ken

The appearance you've achieved in TANE is very good Ken, but it's the 'jelly coat' that totally has to be banished in TRS19. In TRS19 any texture details simply disappear into the goo and might as well not be there. After some experiments I found that changing from m.thumpenv to m.gloss made for the best results in TRS19. Other results ranged from making the loco body disappear entirely to creating some very strange surface effects that were just about as bad as the gooey jelly coat.
I'm still looking at what else might be done to improve the model's appearance and thank you very much for the 'Alpha Transform' plugin tip as I was a bit stumped as to how to deal with a set of textures that didn't seem to be there at all.

Hello Annie,
I had a go this evening at the TRS19 jelly coated loco, managed to get a dead flat looking loco with zero shine, must be the opposite of jelly and not very nice, there were other Frankenstein results, so its back to TANE.

Still in TANE.

Cheers, Ken

Ivatt comparison in TS19. I think the barrier to getting rid of the goo is in the bumpmap alpha. I've used diffuse alpha 12,12,12 and bumpmap alpha 100,100,100 as a starting point.

goo-or-no-goo%3F.jpg

Chris.

Certainly an interesting experiment Chris. Something tells me that I'm about to head into something I've never done before territory with doing things with alpha channels.

Using m.gloss gets rid of the goo, but even with reflection set to 100 the engines remain completely matt finished. The one on the left is reflect 5, the one on the right is reflect 100 and there's no difference between them that I can see. In TANE though the reflect 100 2MT looks reasonably Ok.

r4kLQan.jpg

Last edited:
Re post #4506 Tanker46
re post #4503 KotangaGirl!

Thanks Ken! I hope these new SR Liveries serve you and your picturesque screenshots well! :D

Speaking of screenshot! What an excellent shot of the Woodhead Line! I think that its the first time I've ever seen someone attempt it in Trainz! Well Done!

Tanker46,
Those are really great shots of all the engines. They look wonderful! :cool: The usual excellent job by Camscott.

Judging from the number of people on the platform, admiring the engines, I'd say they are a big hit!

Regards,
Gary

Thank You Gary! Those two moguls look very grand and that definitely made me laugh! :D

The numbers on the platform are from the AJS Spline I set up so Burgess Hill could be serviced for passenger workings. They are supposed to disappear once I leave surveyor but they don't seem to be working even with the visibility setting disabled.

Using m.gloss gets rid of the goo, but even with reflection set to 100 the engines remain completely matt finished. The one on the left is reflect 5, the one on the right is reflect 100 and there's no difference between them that I can see. In TANE though the reflect 100 2MT looks reasonably Ok.

r4kLQan.jpg

These locos have an almost black alpha channel of 4,4,4. If I read it correctly, that will kill any reflection in a m.gloss material in TS19.

Anyway, as this is a screenshot thread, back to my updating legacy materials for TS19 experiments with a proper screenshot:

I must do something about those wheels.

Chris.

Wow, very nice indeed Chris. Your 'County' class engine is looking good. I love your new 'Cornishman' headboard too.

Thanks for the tip about the alpha channel by the way, - once I'm feeling more clear headed I'll have a look at that.

Back