UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Excellent Progress Annie! I myself have had serious issues with creating beach baseboards for the route so I have filed that under "finishing touches" for when the route is done.

Can you tell me your method for accomplishing this feat? I'd certainly like to know how a pro route builder tackles this kind of problem. ;)

Gosh Tanker. A pro route builder!? Mostly I just frown at stuff and harass it until it comes right and looks the way I want it to.
Most of what you see with the beaches on the Cornish Mainline route is still Robert3a0's work, but I have done some blending of transitions between sand and grass along the Penzance sections. The beaches are done using a sand texture and a light coloured ballast texture for the darker colouring and where I've had to modify some areas I've stuck to using these same textures. I use the old trick of holding down a square bracket key while brushing in textures quite a bit as well.
Having done plenty of coastal sections on my Norfolk layout I suppose I've had a bit of practice with this kind of thing.

My route is a representation of the Metropolitan Railway and the Great Central Railway.

And very nice it is to see your Met-GCR route again Ken. I might have little time for diesels/dismals, but I do like vintage 'sparkers'.

Last edited:
53lZxTB.jpg

I have been following your progress on updating the Cornish route. You may want to delete the bridge and embankment in the background of this shot. The Hayle bypass was built in the 1980s so far too modern for your era, as well as the era the original route was meant to be based on!

Mark

Spot on Marky7890. No disrespect to the creator of the Cornish Mainline route but how could anyone know what Cornwall looks like now, or in the past, from the other side of the world!

Rob.

Last edited:
I have been following your progress on updating the Cornish route. You may want to delete the bridge and embankment in the background of this shot. The Hayle bypass was built in the 1980s so far too modern for your era, as well as the era the original route was meant to be based on!

Mark

Thanks for your input Mark, suggestions and criticism are always welcome. I'm gradually working my way along the line from Penzance, but haven't got past Marazion for major works as yet. I'm gathering a good collection of OS maps, signal box diagrams and old photos and trying my best at least capture some of the flavour of the 1950's BR era in Cornwall. But even for the 1950's there are so many modern anachronisms that need to be deleted.

Spot on Marky7890. No disrespect to the creator of the Cornish Mainline route but how could anyone know what Cornwall looks like now, or in the past, from the other side of the world!

Rob.

Yes exactly Rob and I know very well as a New Zealander working from thousands of miles away from Cornwall I'm going to make some right howlers no matter how much research I do. At least I can hope not to make any blindingly obvious ones like leaving out Long Rock or the goods shed and goods yard at Redruth.

Last edited:
Ah! So it is LT track is it? Makes a lot more sense now.

I really like the idea of running the LT Lines parallel with LMS Region tracks. One of my favorite things about UK Railways is how often they cross crossed with other railways both standard and narrow gauge alike!

I will definitely be giving that article a read once I get home. My cold got a second wind so I am glad I have a great read while I sprawl out on the couch!

I'm currently contemplating (I say no more than that at this stage) Verney Junction - the most northerly extent of the Metropolitan Railway - and a junction with the LNWR/LMS line from Bedford (and Cambridge) to Oxford (the famous 'Varsity Line'). The 4th rail never made it that far north, but perhaps modeller's discretion? I've got the DEM all lined up in TransDEM, just working on the UTM close-up images of the route.

Paul

It certainly is a challenge Rob!:hehe: All we have to go off of are old photographs and track plans! Still, the railways in the US just can't compare to the elegant railways of the UK in my opinion!

Little bit of running on the Brighton Route Circa 1930s - A young boy spends his day off school trainspotting north of Southwater.

UhTvG6p.jpg
[/IMG]

aVAVtQv.jpg
[/IMG]

47yEVU2.jpg
[/IMG]

itSAxU0.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Taillight. Picking out rolling stock for a screenshot is one of the most fun parts of the process - so many options!

I probably need to do some work on the stations that lead to Horsham - the track is still 2006 era! I have to admit though, they do make for an excellent Pre-BR landscape! :hehe:

After spending time looking over the Cornish Mainline & Branches route and getting a thumbnail idea of what needs to be done I've decided to stick with my initial idea of cutting off the route somewhere past Camborne and installing hidden storage loops. Because I can only work for short periods of time before I need to sleep I really do have to be careful about what I take on in the way of a project. After Camborne the amount of work required starts to get to be too much for not a great deal more value added in terms of operational interest. I like branchlines and the section of this route that I want to work on has some really interesting ones. I will also be able to get on with working on the shortened route without feeling like I'm being haunted by rest of the route and the mountain of work it represents.

WQP972v.jpg

That's a wise choice Annie. Even though a large route is a beautiful achievement sometimes its better to only take on what you can handle.

Regardless, I hope your Cornish Mainline and Branches route makes it's way to the DLS. I already love the work you have done on it and I would very much like a chance to run operations on it.

Your health comes first and we'll enjoy the final result no matter what! :D

That's a wise choice Annie. Even though a large route is a beautiful achievement sometimes its better to only take on what you can handle.

Regardless, I hope your Cornish Mainline and Branches route makes it's way to the DLS. I already love the work you have done on it and I would very much like a chance to run operations on it.

Your health comes first and we'll enjoy the final result no matter what! :D

Thanks Tanker. I now have the Cornish Mainline in a reduced state and I'm feeling a lot happier about the project. I've renamed it and it's now 'BR 1950s Penzance to Camborne & Branches'.
What I find perplexing though is that Robert3a0 has plainly expended loving care on modelling many of the towns with nice detailing and interesting little scenes, but the railway itself is almost neglected by comparison.

How to assemble a temporary station building that doesn't offend the eye too much. I have got some station buildings I did for my 1880's Cornwall Railway project and I might see if they can be adapted.

3MXWcCj.jpg

Thanks Tanker. I now have the Cornish Mainline in a reduced state and I'm feeling a lot happier about the project. I've renamed it and it's now 'BR 1950s Penzance to Camborne & Branches'.
What I find perplexing though is that Robert3a0 has plainly expended loving care on modelling many of the towns with nice detailing and interesting little scenes, but the railway itself is almost neglected by comparison.

How to assemble a temporary station building that doesn't offend the eye too much. I have got some station buildings I did for my 1880's Cornwall Railway project and I might see if they can be adapted.

3MXWcCj.jpg

No worries Annie! Building a route is definitely a lot of work and can be exhausting at the very least. I completely respect that you know your limits and can figure out when to cut it off to prevent overworking yourself. I'm a glutton for punishment as my own tenacity refuses to let me stop work when I need to.

And eyesore? Perish the thought of that! If that station is an eyesore than so is every one I've built between Brighton and Three Bridges! You make even the eldest assets look good with your ability Annie!

Now for something completely different. I'm adding a bit more to the Dearnby Mythos...

dWVnE8i.jpg
[/IMG]

By 1898 the MPD of St. Bennet was by no means unfamiliar with visitors from other railways, but one steamy summer morning in June the cleaners arrived to the yard for quite a shock! Standing among the Precursors and Precedents was a lone MR 156 Class loco idling near the coal tipple! The little 2-4-0 had wandered down from Derby on a working to Liverpool when the usual Problem Class had a catastrophic failure at Lime Street. Such a gallant little engine it was that it made the trip all through the night without so much as a pause. The cleaners soon got to work on both the engine and its coaches so that when the time came it was ready for it's long trip back to Liverpool and Derby later that day.

6md9uF4.jpg
[/IMG]

A MR 156 class? I was hoping to see one in Trainz someday. Looks like Camscott made it. Was it a commission, Annie?

That's Tanker's post not mine Hudson and it's not a Camscott engine, - it's by Ricardo. You can find it here though along with a Midland 'Spinner'. https://ironcladinsteam.wixsite.com/britishlocoworks3d

And eyesore? Perish the thought of that! If that station is an eyesore than so is every one I've built between Brighton and Three Bridges! You make even the eldest assets look good with your ability Annie!

Oh no the station building in the background of my screenshot wasn't the eyesore Tanker, but what was there before certainly was.
For an assembly of bits that weren't supposed to fit together it turned out rather well really. I will do something closer to the prototype later on, but my patchwork building will do for now.

No worries Annie! Building a route is definitely a lot of work and can be exhausting at the very least. I completely respect that you know your limits and can figure out when to cut it off to prevent overworking yourself. I'm a glutton for punishment as my own tenacity refuses to let me stop work when I need to.
Well I'm certainly feeling better about it all now and I'm back with gathering together research material knowing that what I'm taking on is actually possible for me to do in a reasonable timeframe.

Now for something completely different. I'm adding a bit more to the Dearnby Mythos...

I scooped myself up the two Midland engines as well. I find it really hard to believe that one of the largest pre-grouping Uk railway companies has been almost completely ignored by content creators until now. Perhaps I should commision some Midland goods wagons next. I have copies of some of original works drawings.

They are nice indeed Annie. When it comes to LMS Constituents my primary loves are the LNWR and the L&Y in that order. However, the Midland did have some remarkable locos and rolling stock. Ricardio certainly has a knack for making good locos considering that this is supposed to be geared for Trainz 2006!

WVJ44te.jpg
[/IMG]

He made a LNWR Improved Precedent too. I added it to St. Bennet's roster since it's a perfect fit for what I am going for in the Pre-Grouping era!

wQxL6Sj.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Great shots all, always great to see people's projects and to read about the various tips and tricks they may be using to address a problem. We're a creative bunch!

Some from me of a quick run on Swanage - N class 31874 from Norden to Swanage, seen here in various locations including Corfe Castle and Harmans Cross.

Some of them are samey I know - I'm not a photographer! I'll try and post something more interesting in the future.

4NI7Y2U.jpg

55Z46EZ.jpg

LtC0uAW.jpg

3yvycvk.jpg

One of my favourites - Corfe Castle as seen from the Afflington road bridge:
B6BDhKx.jpg

LG9XRbn.jpg

Yt2SgK9.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Gorgeous Screenshots Parker! The Swanage Route is looking better and better every time I see it! :D

It seems while 31874 was busy hard at work during Swanage's busy season, 31625 decided to play hooky and gallivant around the Brighton Line (naughty naughty U Class :hehe:). This time making it past Burgess Hill and into the Sussex suburban maze that covers the towns south of London.

7r9C9Pv.jpg
[/IMG]

OwWRTnW.jpg
[/IMG]

After a few miles 31625 rolls through Keymer Junction where the Brighton Main Line meets the Plumpton Branch that connects Lewes with Wivelsfield. I'll have to remember to finish connecting the two locations one of these days....

31625 begins to reduce speed as it passes through the newest of the Brighton Route's stations - Wivelsfield! It doesn't look exactly like the prototype but its that best that can be done given the available materials. I do seem to like it though. :)

WGPrCHt.jpg
[/IMG]

16usNnN.jpg
[/IMG]

On the opposite track stands LBSCR I3 Class 32091, one of the Marsh Atlantic Tanks that worked the Wivelsfield to Lewes with a return working via the branch. 31625 rolls past it to it's penultimate stop on it's journey - Hayward Heath!

7HaWvAt.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice Summery screenshots PLP. We're in the thick of our Winter here so your screenshots were very welcome.

They are nice indeed Annie. When it comes to LMS Constituents my primary loves are the LNWR and the L&Y in that order. However, the Midland did have some remarkable locos and rolling stock. Ricardio certainly has a knack for making good locos considering that this is supposed to be geared for Trainz 2006!

He made a LNWR Improved Precedent too. I added it to St. Bennet's roster since it's a perfect fit for what I am going for in the Pre-Grouping era!

I haven't really had a proper look at Ricardo's engines yet Tanker beyond verifying that they seem to be fine in TRS19. I can squeak the occasional Midland engine into Norfolk though via the M&GNJR. I don't think I can justify any LNWR engines, but LNWR coaches do arrive sometimes attached to passenger trains.

Work in progress snapshot of Camborne as it was when I downed tools last night. The platform shelter is a placeholder borrowed from my Minehead branch route, but I'll sort out something better eventually. I changed the goods shed because Cornish goods sheds on lines absorbed into the GWR are definitely not the same as GWR group standard goods sheds. It's still a compromise, but better than what was there before. The footbridge is a GWR one by Steve Flanders because none of Marky's BR Blue era ones would fit and as you can probably guess I much prefer the GWR one. These could still be seen in Cornwall in their GWR paintwork well into the BR era so I'm happy enough with that.
I'm using a 1937 trackplan because I personally like it, though again with compromises due to what assets are available. Signalling is according to the 1953 signalling diagram and seeing the signalling diagram immediately explained something I could never understand with this route; - Robert3a0 had mistakenly interpreted the schematic for single slips as being catchpoints which not only placed catchpoints where they never should have been, but also made Camborne's goods yard impossible to shunt properly.

q5LlnKt.jpg

Back