UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Oooooo you've purchased one of GP Loco's 'Crabs' Ken. They are nice models and they run well too. It's difficult to pick which of the three screenshots you've posted I like the best.

Chrisaw's 'Agnes Burton Hall' heading for Redruth on a test run. It's a lovely engine and it runs very sweetly.

P4IEerf.jpg

5GSGh4V.jpg

Last edited:
@ Ken, I uploaded a couple of screenshots (unrelated to this thread) to the Trainz gallery a few hours ago, and by sheer coincidence your first picture - the Crab - had been uploaded just a couple of minutes before mine. The gallery thumbnail caught my eye and I spent a good twenty minutes just sitting with the full size version in front of me. To me, Trainz has always been about the screenshot and my routes are simply a tool to that end, but Ken if I ever get a shot as near to real as that one, I'll be a happy happy Trainzer. It is in every way as good as it gets. Thankyou for the time and effort I know went into getting all three spot on, but the Crab one? Wow!!

I was trying to make up my mind between the first and the second of Ken's screenshots, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick the first one just because it had a Horwich 'Crab' in it. You are right though Dermmy it is an exceptional screenshot.

Hanging off the side of No.4553 with my Box Brownie. We're nearly at Marazion now in more ways than one. The small bridge over the pedestrian walkway down to the beach was an absolute pain to fix and then to make the surrounding area look nice and tidy afterwards. Much frowning and holding my mouth just right was needed.

Hl4BN2e.jpg

Testing this now repaired single slip on the exit track from the Helston branch sort sidings at Gwinear Road. I thought it would be a couple of minutes work to sort it out, but I ended up having to adjust and realign the whole darn lot of the sort yard sidings. Gwinear Road station needs work as well, but I want to do Marazion first.

Iwc7Uvv.jpg

Out and about track testing. The coaches are old BR Mk1 suburban coaches by Paulz Trainz.

53lZxTB.jpg

Some superb work & I must say your track & trackside always look so neat Annie. Marzion the location of the camping Pullman coaches. I alos like the sea view in the last picture captuing ex GWR perfectly a shot that would look good in a carriage compartment. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing pics.

Some superb work & I must say your track & trackside always look so neat Annie. Marzion the location of the camping Pullman coaches. I alos like the sea view in the last picture captuing ex GWR perfectly a shot that would look good in a carriage compartment. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing pics.
Thanks very much tailight. I do confess that I can be a bit on the perfectionist side of things when it comes to laying track. I'm enjoying working with procedural track as it looks so nice when it's laid properly. Fixing the track at Gwinear Road was a bit more tricky though as the sidings and mainline trackwork were on a slight gradient so all the spline points had to be accurately matched to the gradient heights or else the track wouldn't shape itself correctly and there would be red circles everywhere.

Robert3a0 certainly knew how to shape a landscape when it came to the Cornish Mainline alright. There's plenty of other views like that one to be seen about the layout. It's the less than best trackwork and the poorly done signalling that lets the layout down.

Thank you Annie and Andy for your kind comments.
I suppose for me Trainz is a way to turn the clock back to a better time.

Still in TANE: a couple more of the crab. A fine machine by GP.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Great shots, Ken! The second one really pops. Nicely done. :cool:

Annie, I love your progress. I am recognizing locations from your screenshots, as I spent a lot of time on the route when it first came out. Your work has a very realistic feel to it. I think you are capturing the look and feel of the route for the time period perfectly!

Regards,
Gary

Here we see SR Maunsell Q Class No. 30541 wrong-roading with a train of wagons (the reason is track maintenance)

I made this model in Blender, and exported it earlier today (for some reason it wouldn't let me put in the larger version of the picture).

unknown.png

Hanging off the side of No.4553 with my Box Brownie. We're nearly at Marazion now in more ways than one. The small bridge over the pedestrian walkway down to the beach was an absolute pain to fix and then to make the surrounding area look nice and tidy afterwards. Much frowning and holding my mouth just right was needed.

Hl4BN2e.jpg

Testing this now repaired single slip on the exit track from the Helston branch sort sidings at Gwinear Road. I thought it would be a couple of minutes work to sort it out, but I ended up having to adjust and realign the whole darn lot of the sort yard sidings. Gwinear Road station needs work as well, but I want to do Marazion first.

Iwc7Uvv.jpg

Out and about track testing. The coaches are old BR Mk1 suburban coaches by Paulz Trainz.

53lZxTB.jpg

Excellent Progress Annie! I myself have had serious issues with creating beach baseboards for the route so I have filed that under "finishing touches" for when the route is done.

Can you tell me your method for accomplishing this feat? I'd certainly like to know how a pro route builder tackles this kind of problem. ;)

Here we see SR Maunsell Q Class No. 30541 wrong-roading with a train of wagons (the reason is track maintenance)

I made this model in Blender, and exported it earlier today (for some reason it wouldn't let me put in the larger version of the picture).

unknown.png

Great Scott!! That looks fantastic Stepney! It's been far too long since we had a Maunsell Q Class in Trainz! Your skills are getting better and better!!

Please tell me you're going to release it. Otherwise I would gladly pay for one. :D

Thank you Annie and Andy for your kind comments.
I suppose for me Trainz is a way to turn the clock back to a better time.

Still in TANE: a couple more of the crab. A fine machine by GP.

Cheers, Ken

Excellent display of the Crab Ken. I have one myself and they are excellent locos Gary has made.

I'm really curious about the fourth rail track you're using for the route. Was that configuration used on the LMS Region alot? I know that the Southern only used 3rd rail for its EMU sets but I always wondered where the 4th rail track was implemented.

Great Scott!! That looks fantastic Stepney! It's been far too long since we had a Maunsell Q Class in Trainz! Your skills are getting better and better!!

Please tell me you're going to release it. Otherwise I would gladly pay for one. :D

I am pleased to tell you that I will be releasing it for the low price of absolutely free on my site!

(And again you can call me Connor, rather than Stepney)

Sorry Connor. Force of Habit.

I have a huge archive of diagrams for SR Locomotives and Rolling Stock in case you ever want to do another project like this.

Since there are only 17 members of the Q Class are you planning on doing all the numbers or just specific ones? (I see you went with the Bluebell's Q first - very nice!)

So far I have done Nos 530, 536 and 541 in both SR black and BR black. 536 and 541 I have given Lemaître blastpipes as well. As of writing this, I am in the process of exporting No. 530 in SR Olive Green, because I thought it would look nice. I will do most other numbers as well, and a version with Bullied sunshine lettering, if I think about it.

If you could send me your archive of Southern diagrams, I would much appreciate it!

(P.S, I have also done an S15 and N Class, but I still need to work out how to export the valve gear)

Re post #4354 Tanker46.
Hello Alexander, the 4th rail track belongs to London Transport. Its all down to the complicated history of the former railway companies.
My route is a representation of the Metropolitan Railway and the Great Central Railway. Please see attached link that explains it in detail viz loco changes.
The LM region did have until fairly recently the 4th rail means of electrification on it's routes from London Euston and London Broad Street (now closed) to Watford Junction, Croxley Green (LMS and now closed) also to Rickmansworth Church Street (now closed) . London Broad Street to Richmond also, sharing the tracks with LTE from Gunnersbury to Richmond. From Queens Park to Watford Junction the Bakerloo Line shared the tracks. Due to modernisation most track is now third rail or overhead and if any 4th rail track is left that would be down to running rights with London Transport now known as TFL.
It gets complicated the further one goes back in the railway history of London.

https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/all-change-at-rickmansworth.

Cheers, Ken

So far I have done Nos 530, 536 and 541 in both SR black and BR black. 536 and 541 I have given Lemaître blastpipes as well. As of writing this, I am in the process of exporting No. 530 in SR Olive Green, because I thought it would look nice. I will do most other numbers as well, and a version with Bullied sunshine lettering, if I think about it.

If you could send me your archive of Southern diagrams, I would much appreciate it!

(P.S, I have also done an S15 and N Class, but I still need to work out how to export the valve gear)

No problem! Just DM me your email address and I can send them over. I have diagrams for the Bulleid Pacifics, Lord Nelson, Schools, W Class and Z Class Tanks as well!

If you're having trouble with valve gear exporting I would suggest asking a few of our more seasoned locomotive veterans like Edh6, Paulhobbs or Camscott. They are really good guys and I am sure they would be more than willing to help you if asked.

I will send you the documents as soon as I get off work. Feel free to message me anytime if you have questions about the Southern Railway and its engines! :D

Re post #4354 Tanker46.
Hello Alexander, the 4th rail track belongs to London Transport. Its all down to the complicated history of the former railway companies.
My route is a representation of the Metropolitan Railway and the Great Central Railway. Please see attached link that explains it in detail viz loco changes.
The LM region did have until fairly recently the 4th rail means of electrification on it's routes from London Euston and London Broad Street (now closed) to Watford Junction, Croxley Green (LMS and now closed) also to Rickmansworth Church Street (now closed) . London Broad Street to Richmond also, sharing the tracks with LTE from Gunnersbury to Richmond. From Queens Park to Watford Junction the Bakerloo Line shared the tracks. Due to modernisation most track is now third rail or overhead and if any 4th rail track is left that would be down to running rights with London Transport now known as TFL.
It gets complicated the further one goes back in the railway history of London.

https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/all-change-at-rickmansworth.

Cheers, Ken

Ah! So it is LT track is it? Makes a lot more sense now.

I really like the idea of running the LT Lines parallel with LMS Region tracks. One of my favorite things about UK Railways is how often they cross crossed with other railways both standard and narrow gauge alike!

I will definitely be giving that article a read once I get home. My cold got a second wind so I am glad I have a great read while I sprawl out on the couch!

Great shots, Ken! The second one really pops. Nicely done. :cool:

Annie, I love your progress. I am recognizing locations from your screenshots, as I spent a lot of time on the route when it first came out. Your work has a very realistic feel to it. I think you are capturing the look and feel of the route for the time period perfectly!

Regards,
Gary

Thank you very much Gary. The greater part of what I've done has been inside the railway boundary fence except where I can see from OS maps that buildings & other assets should not be there for my chosen time period. The landscape and scenery is essentially still Robert3a0's work, but I have been clearing away any trees and vegetation found lurking inside the boundary fences and I have also changed the not very convincing billboard hedgerow assets for Malc's 3a hedge model.
Being a 19th century GWR enthusiast I have absolutely no tolerance for overgrown trackwork or tinder dry looking vegetation anywhere near steam era railway lines. True enough lineside maintenance started to be increasingly neglected during the modern error when the dismalists got their hands on Britain's railways, but I have zero interest in that time period.

Back