UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

'Iford Manor' built at Swindon in 1950 was a Penzance engine in 1957 before moving on to other sheds, but not staying anywhere very long. I found a 1961 photo possibly taken at 84F Stourbridge Junction of 'Iford Manor' now painted in lined green and wearing the later BR totem on its tender, but it was looking very woebegone. 14/11/1964 it would be scrapped after barely making it to 14 years of service life.

I'm presently doing a texture 'polish up' on 'Iford Manor' the same as I did for my 45xx's with the tender still to go. I have Truro's 'Hook Norton Manor' as well from Paul and it will get its turn in the paintshop next.

BNdLOgZ.jpg

EgtL1pK.jpg

JkIjTaN.jpg

re post #4310 Dermmy
Wow, top notch.
re post #4311 stepney55
Nice to see TANE shots and thank you for the locos from your site.
re post #4317 euromodeller
Keep up the good work.
re post 4320 Tanker46
Good progress on your route and get well soon.
re posts KotangaGirl
75028 was a Laira (83D) loco for a time.
Plenty of steam in your 83G shots, made my one and only visit to Long Rock in April 1962, most steam was dead on shed by then (shoud have kept my notes).
Thanks for rekindled memories Annie.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

re posts KotangaGirl
Plenty of steam in your 83G shots, made my one and only visit to Long Rock in April 1962, most steam was dead on shed by then (shoud have kept my notes).

And thank you for your kind comments Ken. I'm just pleased that I've built Long Rock up well enough that you could recognise it and have your memories rekindled again. It might be a bit OCD of me, but as I've been bringing the Penzance engines home I've been editing their shed code plates to read 83G. eventually I'll catch up with the shed plates on the known visitors to Penzance.
The photo of 75028 at Long Rock is undated so I don't know when it visited Penzance. The BR Database shows it being at Laira during 1954 which suits my slightly flexible 1954-1957 time period though so it can be an occasional visitor. 75028 was scrapped after only eleven and a half years service which shows just how stupid those pushing the modernisation plan for BR were.

You've got a really great pair of screenshots there by the way. Predictably it was the Winter one that first caught my eye.

Still a lot to do, but trains can run,

lim4BZl.jpg

Last edited:
And thank you for your kind comments Ken. I'm just pleased that I've built Long Rock up well enough that you could recognise it and have your memories rekindled again. It might be a bit OCD of me, but as I've been bringing the Penzance engines home I've been editing their shed code plates to read 83G. eventually I'll catch up with the shed plates on the known visitors to Penzance.
The photo of 75028 at Long Rock is undated so I don't know when it visited Penzance. The BR Database shows it being at Laira during 1954 which suits my slightly flexible 1954-1957 time period though so it can be an occasional visitor. 75028 was scrapped after only eleven and a half years service which shows just how stupid those pushing the modernisation plan for BR were.

You've got a really great pair of screenshots there by the way. Predictably it was the Winter one that first caught my eye.

Still a lot to do, but trains can run,

lim4BZl.jpg

Your redition of 83G is more than recognizable Annie. It only took a couple photographs to identify what you were trying to model. Bravo for getting the Procedural Track to work by the way. I gave up on it way back when I was still extending the route to Lancing!

One of the biggest lessons I have learned while modeling the Brighton Route is that nothing is going to be exact when modeling a route such as this. There are countless buildings and unique assets that just don't exsist in Trainz yet that we have to work our way around. (Plymouth Laira Shed, Eastleigh Works and Dover Marine come to mind).

In a way, it's like pioneer Trainz creators such as Chrisaw, Rickysykes, Steveflanders and Jayholland all paved the road for us to accomplish this. The numerous amount of GWR and SR building assets makes modelling our desired regions much easier to do. Back then I never could have imagined all the applications the LBSCR assets would have but now I couldn't built the run to London without them! :)

Your Cornish Region route is beautiful already and I really hope you continue to develop it. I know it will bring many people lots of happiness and fun. I look onward with anticipation to see how your route progresses as I continue my upmost to complete my own! :D

Last edited:
re post #4310 Dermmy
Wow, top notch.
re post #4311 stepney55
Nice to see TANE shots and thank you for the locos from your site.
re post #4317 euromodeller
Keep up the good work.
re post 4320 Tanker46
Good progress on your route and get well soon.
re posts KotangaGirl

Still in TANE

Cheers, Ken

Excellent Screenshots as always Ken. It's nice to see you revisiting the Midland Region again!

I'm almost done with my sick days. Just need to remind myself no to overdo it at work! :hehe:

Thank you Tanker. I can be my own worst enemy sometimes with beating myself up for not getting everything perfect when 'perfect' assets don't exist for what I'm trying to do. Your own efforts with your Brighton project has definitely been a source of inspiration with helping me to keep on plugging away.
Steve Flander's GWR coal stage is a mirror image of the one at Long Rock so that put the cat among the pigeons for a start and then the only turntable that would fit the location as well being the right diameter to turn a Swindon 4-6-0 didn't have enough connecting tracks. Sooooo that pretty much set the stage for having to be a bit creative with the MPD trackwork.
I won't do any scenic things with weeds and grasses & etc until I'm sure that everything is working properly and I haven't forgotten anything essential. I want to do Marazion station and its yard next, but before I go any further there's things that need fixing at Penzance station. I'd like to put the missing goods shed back beside the station if that's at all possible.

KIzM0OL.jpg

You're doing great with what you are working with. I definitely understand the "pressure of perfection" all too well. Burgess Hill has a quite a few assets that tie the station together and it's a bit frustrating that I can't find suitable buildings for it! I'm still using PLL assets for the coaling towers and water tanks for Brighton's MPD!

Why are there no water tanks Annie? :hehe: Why are the water towers always gone?

Your turntable comment reminds me of when I was trying to model the Lancing Carriage Works on the western section of the route. The works had a really rare (for the UK anyway) installation of a transfer table for the rolling stock and no matter how hard I tried, NONE of the shed assets available would match up to the track spacing!

It seems to me that if we want to get assets like these created, we would have to go through a commission agreement. It times like these where that creativity of yours really shines through! :D

Regardless, you are definitely making excellent progress Annie. It might seem daunting task but it's well worth it once you see the sheer size of what you've accomplished. I've been at this for almost 3 years now but I don't regret one bit of it. I've almost modeled the entire LBSCR Region of the Southern Network!

Penzance will no doubt turn out great. If there's anything you have taught me with your Windweather Tramway, GER Norfolk and Middlevales route, it's that a Trainz layout can look good on any version with a little bit of grit, wit and a whole lot of TLC. :) I hope one day you manage to take it all the way East so that one day we might possibly be able to merge the Southern and Western Regions at the glorious Exeter St Davids.

Now if we could only get Borderreiver and Pflindley on board we could make the biggest game breaking UK Route the game has ever seen!! :hehe:

RE: #4324
Ken, those are truly amazing screenshots! Your pics are always a joy to view. Dare I say, they constantly remind me of paintings by Terence Cuneo. Composition and lighting are always top notch.
Like Annie, the winter one caught my eye first. It's cold, stark reality and sharp detail are wonderful. So nicely done! :cool:

Annie, Long Rock looks superb. Your progress is great to watch unfold.

Regards,
Gary

Great shots all.
Tanker, all we can mostly do is tell ourselves that we are not making a museum quality replica but a representation of the place being modelled.
I was extremely lucky to have Chrisaw able to devote some time to what I called "The great signalling wishlist" and over a period of more than a year he turned out the LNER, NER and an extended range of Mackenzie & Holland signals now on the DLS. I was extremely lucky a second time by being able to enlist John Whelan to turn out a range of NER Southern Division signal cabins built between 1902 and 1910 for the DLS. Paul Mace of Paulztrainz also built a range of NER Northern Division signal cabs for the DLS in a commission a couple of years ago. Even with these sterling efforts which I see are in use by several Trainzers they are not by any means a complete asset resource for the NER territory or NE Area of the LNER. I have the scope to at least double what has already been built and pursuing that would make me quite a "hog" of DLS asset builder's time.

Annie has done well to turn out her reskins of loco sheds.

Oh to be able to reincarnate those prolific builders the late great Ben Dorsey and the late great Andi06.

Last edited:
Great shots all.
Tanker, all we can mostly do is tell ourselves that we are not making a museum quality replica but a representation of the place being modelled.
I was extremely lucky to have Chrisaw able to devote some time to what I called "The great signalling wishlist" and over a period of more than a year he turned out the LNER, NER and an extended range of Mackenzie & Holland sognals now on the DLS. I was extremely lucky a second time by being able to enlist John Whelan to turn out a range of NER Southern Division signal cabins built between 1902 and 1910 for the DLS. Paul Mace of Paulztrainz also built a range of NER Northern Division signal cabs for the DLS in a commission a couple of years ago. Even with these sterling efforts which I see are in use by several Trainzers they are not by any means a complete asset resource for the NER territory or NE Area of the LNER. I have the scope to at least double what has already been built and pursuing that would make me quite a "hog" of DLS asset builder's time.

Oh to be able to reincarnate those prolific builders the late great Ben Dorsey and the late great Andi06.

Oh! So Johnwhelan and Chrisaw made all that NER Content for you? I thought it intriguing that there was all this NER Infastructure Content floating around out there with no locos to run it, but you filled the final piece of the puzzle - color me impressed! I should see if I could comission him to craft a few assets like some SECR Signalboxes the overhead for London Bridge or the stone entrance to Dover Marine

I couldn't agree more with you on your sentiment regarding the way we model these massive routes. So far there are four major routes of this size: two LNER ones, Annie's new GWR one and my own SR Route. Finding every asset and component is but impossible but as long as it resembles the prototype well enough then I guess that's all we could ask for! I mean your County Durhamn route looks like a masterpiece!

Nevertheless, there are certain assets definitely needed for route operation. Chrisaw's LSWR and BR(S) Signals are a godsend for the route but there are still a few of the BR(S) ones that are missing. The biggest issue with the Southern Region is that many of their early signals were kept in place for neccesity reasons. I have been reading up on the lines in Kent and some of the Ex-SECR lines retained semaphore signals and boxes well into the 1970s! Quite a surprise for me to discover this!

I think that the UK Community of Trainz is beginning to enter a "golden era" of sorts. There's a flow of new content creators making models and assets, there's seasoned modelers pursuing future projects and there are massive UK Route Projects underway that will rival the C&O, CP and BN Megaroutes on the US Pages. I think that the best way to keep it going is to look out for one another and help where we can. That's why I love the TCWW and Trainz users here. It's one of the best supporting hobby groups I have ever been a part of.

You taught me how to crop and edit routes Frank and I will always be greatful for that. It's funny. Andi06 created so many models and tools to help people pursue their Trainz goals. I wonder if he ever forsaw that his assets would become so loved for years after he was gone?

Last edited:
Great shots all.
I was extremely lucky to have Chrisaw able to devote some time to what I called "The great signalling wishlist" and over a period of more than a year he turned out the LNER, NER and an extended range of Mackenzie & Holland sognals now on the DLS. I was extremely lucky a second time by being able to enlist John Whelan to turn out a range of NER Southern Division signal cabins built between 1902 and 1910 for the DLS. Paul Mace of Paulztrainz also built a range of NER Northern Division signal cabs for the DLS in a commission a couple of years ago. Even with these sterling efforts which I see are in use by several Trainzers they are not by any means a complete asset resource for the NER territory or NE Area of the LNER. I have the scope to at least double what has already been built and pursuing that would make me quite a "hog" of DLS asset builder's time.

Wise advice Frank. We can only do the best we can with what is available and I for one must not beat myself up for not being able to make a perfect replica.

Chris has made so many Uk semaphore signals and really for some routes and time periods we would be seriously stuck without the assets he has made. I'm presently taking advantage of his huge range of BR (WR) signals. Chris's M&H slotted post signals are very useful to the pre-grouping modeller as they are a reasonable match for some late 19th century GWR signals as well as some signal types used on southern lines from around the same time period. His LNER upper quadrant junction signals on M&H timber posts will also stand in well for converted ex-Midland signals in the post grouping era.

We were much blessed by the late Ben Dorsey and the late Andi06 with the huge range of assets they made. Trainz would not be what it is today without their contribution.

The red brick/green doors engine shed reskins I'm using at Long Rock will make it to the DLS eventually. Possibly the doors should be some shade of brown, but that's easy to fix should I need to.

I think that the UK Community of Trainz is beginning to enter a "golden era" of sorts. There's a flow of new content creators making models and assets, there's seasoned modelers pursuing future projects and there are massive UK Route Projects underway that will rival the C&O, CP and BN Megaroutes on the US Pages. I think that the best way to keep it going is to look out for one another and help where we can. That's why I love the TCWW and Trainz users here. It's one of the best supporting hobby groups I have ever been a part of.

I certainly hope so Tanker. There's certainly been some wonderful developments lately with Ed's new GER and NER engines and also Rob Dee's excellent GER 6 wheel coaches. TCWW gave me a wonderful amount of support when I made a start with making 'litho' coach reskins. I was too nervous to upload anything and it was John Whelan who made my first upload for me. And it was Ed and John who joined forces to set me up with the coach meshes I used for my 6 wheel teak and GWR coaches and my NER bogie coaches.

I hope my efforts on the Cornish Mainline with be worthy of your fortelling Tanker, but I guess if I advance up the line one station at a time I'll eventually get there.

In other news I've now completed 'Iford Manor's general overhaul. It lost its Swindon applied lined black livery in 1953 for unlined black (Sounds like a nasty anti-GWR BR plot to me), but I've decided that I don't care and 'Iford Manor' is going to stay with being lined out.

m3tesrz.jpg

I've been fitting Paul's old interactive GWR 'Grange' cab interior to the 'Counties' and 'Manors' that I've purchased recently. Seems to suit these older TS2004 engines very nicely.

0qlEbS1.jpg

Last edited:
re post #4327 Tanker46
Thanks for the compliment and good to read that your heath has improved.
re post #4330 Heinrich505
Thank you for youe kind compliment
re post #4333 KotangaGirl
Always good to see the improvements to Locos.

Still in TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

Wise advice Frank. We can only do the best we can with what is available and I for one must not beat myself up for not being able to make a perfect replica.

Chris has made so many Uk semaphore signals and really for some routes and time periods we would be seriously stuck without the assets he has made. I'm presently taking advantage of his huge range of BR (WR) signals. Chris's M&H slotted post signals are very useful to the pre-grouping modeller as they are a reasonable match for some late 19th century GWR signals as well as some signal types used on southern lines from around the same time period. His LNER upper quadrant junction signals on M&H timber posts will also stand in well for converted ex-Midland signals in the post grouping era.

We were much blessed by the late Ben Dorsey and the late Andi06 with the huge range of assets they made. Trainz would not be what it is today without their contribution.

The red brick/green doors engine shed reskins I'm using at Long Rock will make it to the DLS eventually. Possibly the doors should be some shade of brown, but that's easy to fix should I need to.

I certainly hope so Tanker. There's certainly been some wonderful developments lately with Ed's new GER and NER engines and also Rob Dee's excellent GER 6 wheel coaches. TCWW gave me a wonderful amount of support when I made a start with making 'litho' coach reskins. I was too nervous to upload anything and it was John Whelan who made my first upload for me. And it was Ed and John who joined forces to set me up with the coach meshes I used for my 6 wheel teak and GWR coaches and my NER bogie coaches.

I hope my efforts on the Cornish Mainline with be worthy of your fortelling Tanker, but I guess if I advance up the line one station at a time I'll eventually get there.

In other news I've now completed 'Iford Manor's general overhaul. It lost its Swindon applied lined black livery in 1953 for unlined black (Sounds like a nasty anti-GWR BR plot to me), but I've decided that I don't care and 'Iford Manor' is going to stay with being lined out.

m3tesrz.jpg

I've been fitting Paul's old interactive GWR 'Grange' cab interior to the 'Counties' and 'Manors' that I've purchased recently. Seems to suit these older TS2004 engines very nicely.

0qlEbS1.jpg

I very much believe it to be true. Many of the new generation Trainz creators don't know about the community on the forums and instead hang out on the messaging service app Discord instead. Seriously, there are huge servers where users share and critique each others modeling projects and a lot of the stuff is pretty interesting.

I will be continuing to comission Southern Content as long as my wallet will withstand. I still have a desire to model locomotives but life has made that all but impossible at this point. Aside from the 4MT, I think that route building is the best contribution I van provide to our group at the moment. Once the kids start heading off to school I might be able to return to it. If being a benefactor for SR Content is all I can do then by god I am gonna.

Definitely take your time with the Cornish Region Annie. One station at a time is definitely the best policy. I have no doubt it's going to be amazing when all is said and done!

I have also seen those cabs for the Manors. Outstanding stuff really. I much prefer Iford Manor in it's Lined Black anyways! :D

I very much believe it to be true. Many of the new generation Trainz creators don't know about the community on the forums and instead hang out on the messaging service app Discord instead. Seriously, there are huge servers where users share and critique each others modeling projects and a lot of the stuff is pretty interesting.

I will be continuing to comission Southern Content as long as my wallet will withstand. I still have a desire to model locomotives but life has made that all but impossible at this point. Aside from the 4MT, I think that route building is the best contribution I van provide to our group at the moment. Once the kids start heading off to school I might be able to return to it. If being a benefactor for SR Content is all I can do then by god I am gonna.

Definitely take your time with the Cornish Region Annie. One station at a time is definitely the best policy. I have no doubt it's going to be amazing when all is said and done!

I have also seen those cabs for the Manors. Outstanding stuff really. I much prefer Iford Manor in it's Lined Black anyways! :D

Real time social media 'chat' applications like Discord would be impossible for me to manage due to my micro pausing and micro sleeping. Even using a telephone is a challenge. But that apart most old dinosaurs like me aren't that keen on being involved with most forms of social media. Forums suit me and my slowed down world just fine. That said though I can understand how a Discord group for younger 'new generation' content creators would work out well for them.

Your Southern locomotive commissions have certainly been a wonderful blessing for the Trainz community Tanker. There's engines that I would like to commission for both the GER and the Broad Gauge GWR, but as a OAP I can't really afford to do that anymore.

I finally got the two double slips at Long Rock to properly behave themselves so now I'll move onto Marazion. After that I'll go and sort out the area around Penzance station and put the goods shed and its sidings back.

uHRr0F2.jpg

re post #4333 KotangaGirl
Always good to see the improvements to Locos.

Thanks very much Ken. Your latest screenshot at #4334 is seriously nice with the field in the foreground providing a contrast to the coal mine in the mist in the background.

'Hook Norton Manor' on the Long Rock turntable. Being lighter weight versions of the 'Granges' most 'Manors' tended to gravitate to the old Cambrian Railways lines, but No.7823 was a 83F Truro engine circa 1956.

Vsyhy1k.jpg

A "J" Class single gets a run out in Northumberland with a day trip excursion train for Edinburgh.

The lead carriage is a 3-compartment Van 3rd to Diagram 19. This type, built between 1887 and 1892 was not quite as common as the 2-compartment Diagram 20 (114 examples vs 162) but almost all 6w carriages were swept away from N.E.R. scheduled passenger trains by the grouping. Some were almost certainly kept on for a while for use as strengtheners and as excursion stock during the period 1895 - 1922 as they were gradually displaced by new bogie carriages. The 3-compartment Diagram 19s could have been better suited to excursion work than the 2-compartment Diagram 20s since excursion trains did not typically requir much van space.

Lots of nice shots, but especially
4324 & 4344: Superb!!
4340: Love both the shot and the wealth of information.

I'm in two minds about this one, it captures a pleasant vista, but at middle distance and above the otherwise excellent lighting in TS19 starts to fall apart, that shot has zero fog in the settings, and before a bit of tweaking the entire histogram is a near perfect bell curve bang smack in the middle 40% of the range, and the less said about distant trees versus lighting the better! Anyway....

The afternoon goods slogs up the endless 1 in 40 towards the end of the mineral line at Leatherwood Fell.

Andy ;)

re post #4341 Dermmy.
One can almost hear the thrash from the loco. Nice one Andy.
re post #4340 bordereiver
Thanks for the info Frank and the goodly shot.
re post # 4339 KotangaGirl
Thanks for the compliment Annie. Manors were always a rare sight in London until towards the end.

Still in TANE. New toys for me thanks to GP Locomotives.

Cheers, Ken.

Back